Beginners and Beyond

Halloween Penguins Friday - Trick or Treat? (Read 22 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I've got my costume ready.....hopefully the weather will clear tonite for the kiddies who go trick-or-treating.  Right now, 64 degrees raining, lightning, etc. and power outages in a lot of places.   We need the rain so that's good, but could do without the lightning.

Non-running day for me today.   After work will pick my packet up for my 5K tomorrow - a night time 5K "Dia de Los Muertos" (Day of the Dead) 5K.  This is a very popular local night-time 5K with lots of folks getting their faces painted, dressing up as zombies, etc.  Nice after-party by a local lake.   I may also do a race in the morning, but haven't decided yet.   Will see how I feel tomorrow morning and then just go register on Race Day if I decide to do one.  On Sunday I have my running club's "Membership Appreciation Day" series of races - FREE to all members.  Distances are 5K, 5 miles, 10K, 10 miles,  half-marathon, and 20 miles.  I'm doing a 5K.  Then a big party by the river after everyone is finished.

LRB

Trick or treat?  Why not both?  

Robert31320

Team TJ

Treat!  It's payday 

Running for TJ because he can't.

PADRunner

LA Streets RR(Run Report)

Well I had enough and had to venture out on the Dark Streets of LA(Arcadia).

I headed out on Huntington from the hotel towards Santa Anita. A lap around Arcadia park and a golf course past Jacka Alma Mater Arcadia HS. Then a half lap around just Arcadia park for 4.5.

Uneventful overall nice run @ 60 degrees. I passed a few other runners but I guess I didn't get the memo. They were all going clockwise around the block and I was going CCW.

Scotty - Jack delivered your message.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I took an RD yesterday (I was so tired I even canceled my pilates class).  So, Pilates after work, followed by a run with hubby, and heavy weights.

Damaris

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Hydrating and studying today.  I will run 8 in a bit.  Then Mandarin class and NYC Halloween parade tonight.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

Howdy all!!  I have to head out in a minute or two, as the School of Education folks here sponsor a parade of sorts for the local preschool-age kids.  They dress up, come to campus, and march down a line and we hand them candy.  So I have to be out in the courtyard in about a minute.

But tonight I get to try out my birthday present -- I got myself a mini-trampoline!  Since running is sort of a no-go for me at present, and walking is kinda boring (and fixing to be COLD!!) I wanted something indoors and fun.  I'm hoping bouncing fits the bill!!

Ok, better go!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Hi pens!  Slacker mode still active- couldn't bring myself to run last night in the cold rain.  Ginny, to answer your question, my legs really, really hurt after Sunday's 5K, and Tuesdays 6 miler was a serious effort, and back to my old C25K pace even.

Today is a SRD because we are going to see the Black Keys tonight!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

PAD and I had a nice dinner last night. We shared plenty of running stories, talked about the kids and work, and I heard about his current training for his big race.

I am going to get some miles in on the track later today. We finally have some cooler weather so it will be nice to run in that. Today is also my dad's birthday so we are going to see him for a bit and then go with the DDs to some friends' party.

Happy Halloweenie.

Zel: Have fun tonight. That should be a good show.

Singer who runs a smidge

Ok, I'm back from handing out candy.  DH has no plans to turn on lights at home tonight, and I never get home before about 6:45, so I doubt there will be any kids showing up there tonight.  Dusty prefers it that way anyway -- he does not need to go crazy barking all evening.

So glad it's Friday!!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

tracilynn

5 miles on trails/road done.  It was 50° and I think that is the perfect running temperature.  My PF foot feels good. The night splint seems to work for me.

. My kindergarter only goes a half day so about to go pick him up then we are off to find glow sticks. Temp drops all day and 30 mph north wind comes in tonight wind chill in the 30s just in time for trick or treating  my goblins (and moi) are GONNA FREEZE.

happy Halloween 'guins

~~~~~~~

Traci

GinnyinPA

Happy Halloween Pens.

Scotty - sounds like a fun weekend.  I'm sure you'll enjoy all the races and group runs.

Hi LRB and Robert.

PAD - I'm glad you finally got out on the streets to run and that your dinner with Jack was a fun one.  Will you be going home on Monday?

Damaris - smart to listen to your body when it asked for a break.  Have fun tonight at the gym and with DH.

sapf - hope your long run is a good one.

HM - keep us posted on whether the trampoline works for you.  Halloween here is from 6:00 - 8:00.  We usually get 30 or so kids and yes, it drives Ben crazy hearing the doorbell over and over.

Z - sorry you're hurting.  Enjoy the show tonight.

Jack - another busy day for you.  Happy Birthday to your dad.  Are you dressing up for the party?

Tracilynn - sounds like our daytime weather, warm enough once you've been going for a few minutes, but chilly during warm up and cool down.  Good luck tonight.  I hope your son's costume is warm.

AFM:  rest day.  We walked Ben to the vet this morning (ongoing diarrhea issue) and will probably take him to a park later since the weekend is supposed to be wet and cold.  It's just grey and cold now.  I need to get the candy out so we're ready for the hordes later.  I enjoy seeing the kids in their costumes, especially the little ones, but our neighbors just don't care about litter so I end up having to pick up all the empty wrappers and occasional candies before Ben can eat them.  He has enough problems with his stomach.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Ginny: I have a shirt from Target that says "This is my costume."  That is the extent of my costume.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Some Halloween fun....

What do ghosts eat for supper?

Spookgetti

Why didn’t the skeleton cross the road?

No guts

Why don’t skeletons dance?

They have no body to dance with

What’s for dessert on Halloween?
                                I scream!

What kind of pants go ghosts wear?

Boo jeans

What do you get when you cross a duck with a vampire?

Count Quackula

What food do vampires try to avoid

Steaks

Where does a Zombie reside?

On a dead-end street

Why do ghouls and demons hang out together?

Because demons are a ghoul’s best friend

A photographer goes to a haunted castle determined to get a picture of a ghost. The ghost he encounters turns out to be friendly and poses for a snapshot. The happy photographer dashes to his studio, develops the film and…learns that the photos are underexposed and completely blank. Which just goes to show: The spirit is willing, but the flash is weak.

What’s a mummy’s favorite music?

Wrap music

Why did the ghost get a ticket?

He didn’t have a haunting license

Why do ghosts like elevators?

Raises their spirits

New book out: “Haunted House Experiences” by E. Gadd

What does Dracula like at the carnival?

The juggler

What is a vampire’s favorite fruit?

Necktarine

Definition of ‘retreat’ – go back and get some more candy