Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Let Freedom Run 4th of July 5K (Read 24 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

This was my 32nd race of 2015.  Held on July 4, 2015 at the Schertz Civic Center.  Schertz is a small city that borders on San Antonio and is near Randolph Air Force Base, so the city has lots of residents who are DOD civilians and active duty and retired military.  Start time was 9:15 a.m., a bit later than most of the local 4th of July local races but that is because we ran the parade route of  Schertz's 4th of July parade.  As I live pretty close to Schertz - about a 20 minute drive for me - it was nice to sleep in a little later on a Saturday morning than I do for most races I do on a Saturday.  Nice turn-out for this event, something close to 300 participants, if I remember correctly.  Awards were given only to the top 3 male and female finishers, so this was more of a fun-run for the majority of us, and that's okay.  The timing for this one was 'old school" - no chip timing, times manually recorded when you crossed the line.  I ended up finishing in 33 minutes flat by my chrono and the timers had that for me too.  I did not hear anyone complaining about their finish time, so the timers did a good job with the 'old school' timing.     If there had been age group awards, I would have been 2nd in my age group (60 - 64).

LONG VERSION WITH PHOTOS

Before the Start

I arrived about 45 minutes before start time and got some pre-start photos.

Ms. 4th of July Lady

photo 001_zpsr4zkhpcm.jpg

Me, 4th of July Lady, and my friend and fellow veteran, John Purnell of Purnell Racing.  We tend to 'banter' back-and-forth at times and I tease him a lot about stuff - and no worries, he gives back as good as he gets, lol; he is really a good guy and a good friend.

photo 003_zpsirnjhtqu.jpg

Some of the great volunteers there for we participants

photo 004_zpshooolao7.jpg

Our results lady and one of my favorite people, Sherry Purnell.  Yes, she is related to John..his daughter.  Thank goodness she got her mother's looks! 

photo 005_zpsxliiku6x.jpg

Some of the other folks - participants, supporters, volunteers, etc -  waiting for the start

photo 006_zpsq63jztjy.jpg

photo 007_zps5a195jkk.jpg

photo 008_zpsyzpjdji5.jpg

photo 009_zpspktdaqjs.jpg

This young man was the one who ultimately was the first overall finisher - in 17-something.

photo 010_zpsfy05hes5.jpg

Our MC, Mark, who always does a great job at the events he announces for.

photo 011_zpsafkwtpxa.jpg

photo 012_zpsebtvhjla.jpg

photo 013_zps469fiely.jpg

photo 014_zpsdta10bkk.jpg

Relaxing before the start....they know how to do it!

photo 015_zpsbazac8ak.jpg

photo 016_zpswyjgrpxh.jpg

photo 017_zpsyekpw01r.jpg

photo 018_zpsdbievw3k.jpg

photo 019_zpsnn6ruslb.jpg

UT.....SAAAAAA!  Go Roadrunners!  An alum of UTSA (the university I work for) and his son

photo 020_zpsdu0stlxo.jpg

photo 021_zpsegg05hts.jpg

photo 022_zpsvnksnpzi.jpg

photo 023_zpszvrfgex9.jpg

photo 024_zpsz4q2f0o5.jpg

photo 025_zpsxfamd7pp.jpg

Well! I guess I know what this dog thinks of my photo skills..he turned his butt to me!

photo 026_zpssomg7vco.jpg

OK, that's better...

photo 027_zpsb28jtmra.jpg

photo 028_zpshm3km2sk.jpg

Members of Team RWB (Red White Blue) San Antonio.  RWB is a veteran's organization with chapters in several cities nationwide. I am a member too.

photo 029_zpsyd9eajjd.jpg

photo 030_zpsy660vi3k.jpg

photo 032_zpswotimzxu.jpg

photo 031_zpsyoeev2qa.jpg

Our EMT folks who rode the course making sure everyone was okay. Thanks guys!

photo 033_zpscbwouzsk.jpg

Getting ready to start.  National Anthem played...and we were off!

photo 034_zpsiqo0z2ud.jpg

On the Course

There was some cloud cover when I'd first arrived, but the sun was out by start time.   Still, for a Texas summer morning, not to bad at all.  About 78 degrees at 9:15 a.m.  - eat your heart out, my Miami friend, Damaris, I know YOUR temps are about in the upper 80s by then  - and the humidity and dew-point did not feel too bad at all, at least not to me.  We started in an area behind the Schertz Civic Center, went out on an access road by the Civic Center, then turned left onto Schertz Parkway, the 'main street" of the city.  From here we began passing in front of all the spectators waiting for the parade to start.  It was a lot of fun and several of us moved to the right - including me, because the road had a pretty good camber and my braced knee does not like running on slanted inclines, and the road was much more level nearer the curb - and we had a lot of fun 'low-fiving' all the kids who were holding their hands out for us as we passed by.  Lots of cheering ad support from the spectators, it was a lot of fun...reminded me of  smaller version of the Fiesta Fandango parade run during Fiesta San Antonio time.  We followed the route the parade would be taking, turning off the main drag into a neighborhood area which had some nice shade trees in spots along the way - and that was sure appreciated in Texas summer with a 9:15 start time - and some really nice houses;    we had crowd support for over half of the distance.  From about Mile 1.7 or so, we were on our own back to the finish.   It was not an out-and-back, which was nice, it was more of a loop course - my personal favorite course - winding past the parade spectators and through this lovely neighborhood;  all in all, a very pleasant and well-thought out route, mostly flat with just a couple of very small inclines along the way.  Kudos to whomever laid this course out for us!

Down "Main Street" we go!

photo 035_zps8ke0vvrm.jpg

photo 036_zpsqn2g1gti.jpg

Turning off the main drag now and heading into a local neighborhood

photo 039_zpsxsev5uq4.jpg

photo 040_zpsftw23hsm.jpg photo 037_zpsyzrmg43f.jpg

photo 038_zps4liy8zst.jpg

A little past the halfway mark now...

photo 041_zpsbi08dexy.jpg

photo 042_zpspukjqgfi.jpg

photo 043_zpsom8pmgki.jpg

photo 045_zps5zmi89zj.jpg

One of our littlest finishers coming in...

photo 048_zpsbd3dypxc.jpg

Way to go, buddy!

photo 049_zpsajbwdqlm.jpg

This gentleman has overcome a lot of personal adversity and was out here for this 5K carrying the flag the whole way.  All the other finishers lined up in a 'human chute' for him to go through and loudly cheered him in.  Congratulations, sir, and thanks for being there for us today with the flag!  You rock!

photo 070_zps21jm4tqb.jpg

After the Finish

A little ways past the finish line there was a 'mister' you could go through to get cooled off and I took advantage of that...it was very refreshing!  Then I got some water and walked around a bit, cooling down and drinking....and then it was off to get some post-race photos!

Cooking up some tasty sausages for us! Thanks so much!

photo 046_zps5vmgsbia.jpg

"Happy Finishers", supporters, etc

photo 047_zpshrowge0d.jpg

photo 050_zpsnfdvricz.jpg

photo 051_zpsdiedmgtw.jpg

photo 052_zpsvnhypttw.jpg

Two lovely ladies...and you can see the mister behind them..

photo 054_zpsoywmkmiw.jpg

photo 055_zpskeqoxz4z.jpg

photo 056_zpsffxt6pz0.jpg

photo 057_zpsuzeo8tgi.jpg

photo 058_zpsf7xifawu.jpg

photo 059_zpscgmy1scj.jpg

photo 060_zpsvnu0smdy.jpg

photo 061_zpsgq8yevh2.jpg

photo 062_zpslupfglf3.jpg

photo 063_zps5q4rbwwv.jpg

photo 064_zpsh9tuzq1t.jpg

photo 065_zpshevqyrxt.jpg

photo 066_zpsffn4g5ye.jpg

John and friends...and cold beer...which I also enjoyed....it hit the spot after a warm run...thanks, John!

photo 067_zpsnuaeqsdd.jpg

This lady is an inspiration!

photo 071_zpszvoduc4c.jpg

photo 072_zpshtzokcch.jpg

photo 073_zpsd4pfxhq6.jpg

EPILOG

Very nice course - beats running past parking lots like some of our local area events do  - very nice crowd support, tasty post-race goodies, and really nice tech tee race shirts.  Mucho Gracias to John Purnell and Purnell Racing, the race organizers; AthleteGuild for course set up, timing, and results; all the sponsors, volunteers, etc. who helped make this one happen for us; and, of course, all our law enforcement, EMT folks, etc, who were out there keeping it safe for us.  One fun smaller local event that I will definitely do again!  As said, this one is mostly a 'fun run' since only the top 3 male and female finishers get awards - although ALL finishers did get a nice little 'finisher pin" - so if, like me, you are not one of those 'speedy runners' that usually gets an award and just wants a nice friendly event to do, this one may be for you.  Of course, if you ARE a speedy runner, this one might be for you too since the course is so darn flat for the most part, it's really a good one to shoot for a 5K PR.   Try this one for one of your future 4th of July races, I am sure you will not regret it.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

delicate flower

Looks like fun, Scotty!  Cool that it was along the parade route....lots of crowd support waiting for the parade, eh?  Smile

<3

LRB

I did the Turkey Trot one year (it precedes Detroit's parade) and the crowd was nuts.

LRB

It dawned on me whilst reading your report that I do not have a single piece of flag themed running gear.

Docket_Rocket

Nice job, Scotty!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Looks like a fun way to start your 4th of July.  Nice to have the crowd support as you run too.