Beginners and Beyond

2013 Race PR's : Which One Is More Important? (Read 326 times)

LRB

Although I have pretty high hopes for the marathon, this dumb poll asked which "one", so I would say the 5k.

Speed kills, right?

@runjerseygirl

I chose 5k because that's the only distance I've run (aside from the 8k) that I can build a PR off of.  Plus, you gave me a challenge, and I'm hoping to hit it this year. Smile

Do you even run?

YAYpril - B-Plus

HM for me. My PR is from April last year and I've run two since then. The first was sandbagged because it was at the end of the RW Hat Trick (I PRed the 5k and ran a 10k the day before). During the second my ITBS flared up so it was an injured effort. Still only 7 minutes slower than my PR, though.

So, I'm running the same race in April and I want a big PR. Smile

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

5K. Why no love for the MILE?

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

LRB

Sorry MJ, I guess I didn't think about it!

meaghansketch

I haven't run a marathon since 2010, when my HM time was more than 20 minutes slower than it is now.  That PR is going down -- though even best case scenario it will be far from a BQ.

Robert31320

Team TJ

I voted 5K because I'm going to work hard at hitting sub-30, I'm getting close now.  Don't laugh, speed is tough for a fat-boy Clown

Running for TJ because he can't.

Docket_Rocket

I voted for the marathon, of course.  Not a BQ, please, but it's the distance I like to do.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

You left off my favorite distances, the mile and its closest metric equivalent, 1500m. Besides my days of setting PRs are long gone. There are a few of us who have been racing long enough that the only way we'll set a PR is to run something longer than we've ever run before. Since I've raced every standard distance and quite a few non-standard distances from 50 yd to the marathon, the only way I'll set a PR is to move up to ultras.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Mmmmm...beer

I voted HM, because my big goal race is the Shamrock half in March.  But I'm getting pretty keen on 5ks too, so my sub-20 goal is right up there.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

I guess I am alone so far in my love for the 10k? It is in fact my favorite distance, but I also only have one race on the calendar so far and it is a 10k so obviously I chose that...

Auhugh!!

happylily

My goal for 2013 in to PR in the distance I have always trained for, the marathon. If I train specifically for it, then that's where I want to PR, right? But I find that as I get better in the 26.2 mile distance, my times for the 10k, 10 mile and HM are falling as well. In fact, I'm lucky that all of the distances are pretty much in line on the McMillan chart. Only the 5k (and the mile, I suppose) seems to be my black beast. I ran a good one, once, in training and then I was never able to repeat that. So if I could just match my 5k time to my goal marathon time in 2013, I would be delighted. For that, I need a 21:25 or better. Just the thought of it makes my legs tremble with fear.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Who else voted 50K+ with me?  Smile

Running is dumb.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Me. Big grin  It's the only way I'll get a PR. My primary goal race this year is the Fall NC 24 12-hour Run. While it's far too early to estimate what would be a reasonable goal, I would be very disappointed if I didn't run at least 50K in 12 hours.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

Not me, although I almost voted for that but since I'm only doing one, I abstained. Big grin

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page