Beginners and Beyond

Jogging makes you dumb... (Read 447 times)

Another reason why I run and don't jog. Wink  And "studies" like this always make me smile.

Urban jogging may be making you dumber

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50109534/ns/health-mens_health/#.UMYAIoOdPUA

"Dodging traffic and weaving through crowds aren't the only obstacles urbanites face when trying to take their workout to the streets. New research in Belgium shows that people who live in a city and exercise outdoors have higher levels of inflammation and lower scores on cognitive tests than those who exercise outside in the suburbs.

Study participants were split into two groups: Fifteen in an urban location, and nine in a rural environment. Both groups alternated walking and running 3 days a week from noon to 1 p.m. over a 12-week period.

Researchers then gave the subjects a test to measure their response time and attention span. The findings: High levels of air pollution in the city prevented participants from gaining exercise-induced cognitive benefits such as brain plasticity (the ability for the brain to change when presented with new knowledge), comprehension, and mental health. The urban group also had significantly higher blood levels of some inflammation markers.

What's the deal? Inflammation in the brain may cause mental problems, researchers believe. Luckily, the body has a strong recovery mechanism and inflammation can disappear over time, says Romain Meeusen, Ph.D., FACSM, head of the department of Human Physiology and Sports Medicine at Vrije Universiteit Brussel in Belgium. And exercising is always better than staying sedentary. 

To make sure pollution isn't ruining your health, use Meeusen's tips before you head outside.

1. Brave rain and wind. These climates blow the fine particles away so you're not left inhaling them. 
    2. Avoid rush hour. The more cars, the more pollution from exhaust fumes. 
    3. Head to the park. The more trees between you and the road, the better."

@runjerseygirl

This makes me want to throw a brick at someone.

Do you even run?

Uhh, what? LOL. I am pretty sure people who jog in suburbia are exposed to more gas emissions on their street than I am in Central Park.

happylily

There's a reason why the French like to make jokes about the Belgians... :-)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

There's a reason why the French like to make jokes about the Belgians... :-)

I think I'd waffle on that issue.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Buelligan

I used to do most of my running in metro-Atlanta.  I never had much of a problem with the air there, but it's so much better where I live now.  

catwhoorg

Labrat

With no 'before' control that I can see, how does this eliminate the possibility that urban living (no matter the state of exercising) is the cause ?

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

With no 'before' control that I can see, how does this eliminate the possibility that urban living (no matter the state of exercising) is the cause ?

Please stop with this nonsense line of reasoning. You'll ruin their "study".

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Do we know where the researchers exercise? 

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

If running in pollution makes you dumber, and I run in Beijing...

Yep, it all makes sense now Joking

Auhugh!!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

So when I commute to work everyday and breathe in exhaust fumes sitting in traffic, is my brain's plasticity being affected? I need to quit my job and run thru the woods with a cool breeze blowing!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Little Blue

My thought, too.  Did they do cognitive testing before they started the 12 week study?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

New research in Belgium

Well, right from that you can tell the research is flawed...cuz Belgium doesn't have any major cities.  Wink

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

catwhoorg

Labrat

New research in Belgium

Well, right from that you can tell the research is flawed...cuz Belgium doesn't have any major cities.  Wink

Bazinga!

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Walk-Jogger

New research in Belgium

Scotty,

The fine people of Brussels would like to send you this message:

Manneken Pis

Retired &  Loving It