Beginners and Beyond

Torpid and Torrential Tuesday Penguins (Read 18 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Torpid:  having or showing very little energy or movement; lethargic

Which was me this morning for my first running interval of my run/walk.  I just could not get into it at all.  However, by my second interval was feeling less lethargic and started running what is normal for me.  The rest of my run/walk went well.  Not a great run but at least by the end I was finally feeling myself again.  As for the torrential part...we are getting some major rain in the San Antonio area and it started coming down in buckets during my 3rd running interval and I got a really nice soaking.  It stopped after a bit but I wished it had kept raining because after it stopped it was SO dang muggy and humid.  The rain coming down actually felt quite refreshing.  I ended up doing 5K distance.

Yesterday I slept-in for Memorial Day and then went down to Lackland Air Force Base for a run/walk.  Almost right after I started I got poured on, so I got a nice soaking.  Again, it lasted for only a bit but lasted long enough to get me really soaked.  It was okay, though, the weather was actually quite pleasant and a very nice breeze - not too cold not too hot - felt quite refreshing as I ran.  Then with a mile left to go before I got back to the base gym, the skies REALLY opened up and the rains came down down down.  There was also some thunder and I could see some lightning too - not good, as at the time this all started, I was crossing from one side of the base to the other and wa on the very top of one of the pedestrian overpasses.  I got down from that quick an scurried my old-dog self back to the gym - getting QUITE soaked on the way.  Even so, had a very pleasant run overall, and ended up with 3.4 miles.  Oh, and I got to ride a 'water-slide' too.  I went up one overpass on the run, went down the other side - and didn't notice a little stream of water in the middle of the ramp; slipped on that, went down on my butt - luckily I have lots of cushioning there, so did not get hurt - and slid on the water and down the ramp for about 30 feet - Wheeee! 

After my run yesterday it continued to rain here until about 4 PM on Memorial Day.  San Antonio ended up with nearly 3 inches of rain yesterday and lots of roads and areas were flooded - nobody hurt, thankfully- and although it did stop for a while, around 3 a.m, a slow drizzle began again - with short periods of downpour like the one I got caught in on my run/walk, and it is supposed to be like this pretty much all week. We need the rain so it is nice, but this weather also leads to lots off accidents around here - San Antonio drivers are pretty much terrible 'bad weather' drivers, especially the native San Antonio folks.  We have lots of military folks here who grew up in 'bad weather' areas, so they handle it a bit better but overall when the weather gets bad here traffic gets crazy, lots of accidents, and the work commute is horrible.  I usually end up taking back roads to get to-and-from work just to avoid all that.  It takes a little longer, but it's a lot safer.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 10 with mile intervals tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

I might go out for some easy miles today, we'll see. I put up a RR from Sunday's marathon. DW did great, I'm happy to say.

See ya.

Zelanie

Hi Pens.  8 for me after work.  So far, I don't even think I have a meeting (shh), so I may even get home at a reasonable hour.  We'll see.

obiebyke

Ouch, Scotty!

I got on my bike for a tiny ride yesterday after my 2.5 miles. I hadn't been on it and years and it felt great. RD for me today. Usually it's Bodypump but I'm giving myself a day off.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Philliefan33

Good morning all.  Maybe a run tonight, maybe not if there are storms.  We were away for four days, so I have things to catch up with at home if I don't run.

GinnyinPA

Scotty - I'm glad you're getting some of the rain you need so badly.  Too bad it all comes at once.  An all day drizzle is much more effective than a 3 inch torrent.

Damaris - good luck with your intervals tonight.

Jack - enjoy your recovery miles, if you do them.  How is your wife holding up post-race?

Z - enjoy your run.  I hope the lack of meetings continues for you. When does school end there?

Obiebyke - enjoy your rest day.  It's usually good to listen to your body when it says it needs a break.

Margo - post-vacation clean up is almost worse than the packing to go.  Laundry, shopping . . . I hope you manage a run anyway.

PAD and Mitch - how did the races go?

AFM:  hot and very humid today. We're planning to do a short hike in a nearby state park where Ben can play in the creek and we can get some shade.  Thunderstorms are expected mid-afternoon, so it won't be a long walk. Ben doesn't like thunder and lightning.

Bin Running

Morning all. 5 done in the morning.

Jack,enjoyed reading your RR.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Penguins!!  Well, my adventure of C25k came to an abrupt halt -- I was too lazy to run on Friday, and on Saturday my right knee started screaming at me.  So I stretched it, did yoga, rolled my calves, and even resorted to a single Aleve, which apparently didn't send my body into allergic freak-out land, so that's all good.  I got to thinking this morning that maybe this is ITBS rather than runner's knee, as it's a different pain than before.  Not so much "my knee hurts" as "this one point just on the inside of the front of my knee hurts", so I may shift my self-PT to include IT band stretches.  I tried foam-rolling those sumbitches this morning, but I think it's rather important that my eyeballs not shoot out of my head.  Anyway, the knee is better this morning -- I can actually walk.  That was an issue yesterday!  

scotty -- we had a tornado alert on Thursday, with the sirens on campus and power blips and everything!  By the time I left there was a lot of branches down and standing water, but nothing major.  

Docket -- enjoy your 10 and intervals!!

Jack -- glad to hear DW did well!!

Zelanie -- enjoy your 8, and hope you get home on time!!

obie -- have a good RD!!

Phillie -- enjoy running, or not!!

Ginny -- hope the hike is good!!  Have you bubble-wrapped DH yet?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Y'all should check out the #YesAllWomen hashtag on Twitter.  It's very very cool.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Take care of that knee HsM.  Glad you can walk today.

Scott, you need a running umbrella.

Torpid and hot 3 miles on the bike path for us today.  So we go sit on the deck to cool down and the temp drops 20 degrees. Now we're inside warming up.

hog4life

Jerry, those temp swings are crazy!

I took a RD as I am very sore after the 2 races on Monday and a combined total of 16 miles. My 10k was a new PR of 52:02, but way off of going sub 50, and the 5k was 25:03. The heat was brutal for me, and others too. I seen 3 people down from heat exhaustion. I am pretty much done racing for the summer, except for one more 5 miler that is an age graded staggered start. I just want to focus on building mileage and getting my base into the 40's before starting my fall training plan.

GinnyinPA

Mitch - congratulations on the PR.  Was the 10k before or after the 5k?  If after, then you have a good chance of breaking 50 if you do the race without the warmup race.

Jerry - we got caught in a rainstorm on the way home from our hike.  Got soaked getting from the car to the house.  I didn't want to take a shower in the middle of the thunderstorm, so I waited 1/2 an hour or so.  I ended up turning the water as hot as I could stand, and then some, in order to warm up.  DH had to put on fleece to warm up.  Funny how you can  go from hot and sweaty to freezing so quickly.

HM - sorry your knee/ITB is hurting again.  Hopefully a day of rest and some stretching/rolling will help.

Bin - Good morning! Are you tapering for your races on Saturday?

Zelanie

Ginny- Ben is a smart dog to not want to play in the creek during a lightning storm!  School goes until June 18th for us, because they added a week to make up for all the snow days we had.  Then I leave for Costa Rica on the 21st.  Plus I have to pack up since I'm moving classrooms.  Yikes!

Hog- Congrats on your double race, and good luck with base building.  That sounds like a good plan.  I've really enjoyed mostly "just running" in May.

HsM- Glad the knee is feeling better today!