Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: San Antonio Rodeo 4 Miler (Read 51 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

My 10th race of 2013.  The annual San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo Stampede 4-Miler, starting at an auxiliary parking lot of the AT&T center (home of the NBA San Antonio Spurs) and finishing on AT&T grounds where the rodeo is held.  Let's Rodeo San Antonio! The rodeo comes to town each February and runs for most of the month (7 - 24 Feb this year), and includes all the traditional rodeo events, as well as concerts each night from well-known music artists, an on-grounds carvnival, lots of food booths and entertainment booths and exhibits, and so forth.  The goody bag for participants included one ticket to the rodeo grounds and a long-sleeved shirt with the name of the race and the sponsors. smiley-laughing Lots of gray skies for this event and spitting rain on occasion at the partipants.  Very humid, 83 percent, but a 'feels like" temp of about 50 with an occasional chill wind blowing.  I figured - wrongly - with 4 miles and my averaging about 11 minutes per mile with all my photo stops, I'd finish in 45 - 47 minutes.  Actually finished in 43:28, averaging 10:52 per mile, I was happy with that.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

BEFORE THE START

Race start time 8 a.m.  I arrived around 7:15 or so, a bit before sunrise, and wandered around getting pre-start photos.   The people wearing long-sleeved blue shirts are wearing the race shirt that was in the goody bags.

The starting point for the 4-mile runners/walker and the 1.6 mile walkers was at an auxiliary parking lot off of Gembler Road.

Old Glory waving in the wind during the National Anthem

Race Day Registration Area and some of the great volunteers out there for we participants

Yours Truly, host for your report/photos viewing

Others

Doesn't this guy kinda look like Peter Fonda? smiley-tongue-out

Start Crowd

ON THE COURSE

We made a lap around the parking lot, then out onto Gembler Road and headed for  a ranch property which, I believe, belongs to the locally historic Baumberger family, who graciously allow participants acces each year for this event.

On the Baumberger property...we did a loop around small lake on the property. The trail was pretty narrow going around the lake so a bit of a slow-down but everyone around me seemed to be quite patient about it and we all kept moving right along.  After we got around the lake, the route opened up for us to spread out again.

The lake we just went around...we all were over on the farther shore just a few minutes ago..

Some runners coming off the trail and onto the ranch road..

Heading back to Gembler Road

Back on Gembler Road and heading for the finish line at the AT&T Center, passing by our start point along the way

Yes, I'm almost there.... now I've got to go..I'm in a race.....smiley-tongue-out

One of the many great officers who were out there doing traffic control for us

AFTER THE RACE

After crossing the finish line participants headed here for a breakfast of Kiolbassa Sausage tacos, biscuits & gravy, Starbucks coffee...

And also in the finish area was... Beer! Which me and this fellow enjoyed...

The finish area was near to the carnival on the rodeo grounds..

And what would a rodeo be without a couple of clowns...

Happy Finishers and Supporters...sorry about the 'dream sequence' look on some...between me sweating on my lens and the light drizzle at times, I had some spotty areas on my camera lens

Me and a fellow cancer survivor.

EPILOG

The Rodeo 4-miler continues to be one of my favorite yearly events, it is one big party!  Much Gracias to all the great organizers, supporters, sponsors, and volunteers who make it all happen for we participants!  If you are ever in San Antonio in February, this is definitely a race to do!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

That's a great turnout.  Nice report Scotty!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Great report as always!! Awesome pictures!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

That's my DAWG!  Thanks for another great report Scotty!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Zelanie

Wow, there was a huge turnout for that race!  It looks so crowded at the start!  I definitely remember the rodeos being a big deal from when I used to live in Texas.  Congrats on another race completed in 2013!

You Rang?

I love all the pictures and the three digit bib numbers.  The races here in SoCal are so freakin' big that they have four or even five digit numbers!

Rick

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

Enjoyed the RR and photos as always.  Was a woman sticking her tongue at you while running?  You must be her favorite photographer! Big grin

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Docket_Rocket

Thanks for sharing, Scotty!  I like the pictures and you look good in orange.  Like I said time and time and again, you should become your local paper's On the Race reporter.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jen16226

What a great report Scotty!!!!

Thanks so much for sharing.

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K

MrNamtor

Once again scotty, you are my hero. Great pics too! Modern tech is so excellent - remember when you needed film and had to get photos developed?

SheCan

Man, that looks like it was a lot of fun even with the overcast skies.  San Antonio area must have the best races around.   Thanks again, Scotty, you rock!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

You were zipping around out there, Scotty! How fun to get a ticket to the rodeo too. I've only been to one, but my favorite part was when they raced kids on sheep - hilarious. Keep on running! (not that you'd do any different)

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

runmomto3boys

You smoked this race, Scotty, finishing even faster than you thought!  Awesome job!!!  Thanks for the pics and the report!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Birthday Scott.  I see you got some "legs" shots.  WTG Scott  !!!!