Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins Like To Ease On Down The Road! (Read 27 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Bin - I usually take 2 rest days before a race, but the plan is always open for suggestions!

Damaris - vacation is nice but it's always great to be home!

Last night we were supposed to go out with friends for karaoke but it decided to snow and we stayed home. So I wound up doing myrtle and core - trying to discipline myself to keep up with those activities. Today is the first day on my plan - 3 easy woo hoo!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Bin Running

Gustav, well you know your body best.. Since it is a tune-up race, maybe you can try something a little different.

3 recovery miles done after yday impromptu tempo with colleague..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Off to work, bah.  Some miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

Good morning Penguins.

I'm trying to get back in the groove today. I was not feeling well (common cold) over the weekend so I missed both of my runs, which ticked me off.  It was supposed to be a week of bumping up my LR to 12-13 miles, instead I was on the couch with the remote and a box of tissues.  I did manage to get 5 miles on the TM last night, and will shoot for 7-8 after work today.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Plan on doing about 4 miles after work today, probably at Brackenridge Park, which is a really nice park near the San Antonio Zoo.  Has off-road running trails that are nicely groomed, and very flat, as well as very safe park roads to run on, and can enjoy running alongside the river that goes through the park too.  Weather will be nice, sunny and about 82 degrees.   Crazy weather.  Yesterday we set a record high for San Antonio for March 18 by hitting 95 degrees.  This morning it is 56 degrees and a bit 'chilly' for we South Texans.  Tomorrow it will be warmer again.  It's like Mother Nature is on some kind of Menopause Mania thing down here.....she's hot, she's cold...she's hot, she's cold.....

Good luck with your new plan, Gustav!

Congrats on your 3 recovery miles, Bin.  How did your colleague/boss run go?

Welcome back, Damaris!  Hope your first day back at work is not too hectic!  Happy miles tonite!   I see Miami is going up to 85 today.  So is San Antonio...but our humidity is WAY less than what you have, so good luck with that!  Also, I see it says 60 percent chance of thunderstorms in Miami today....so stay safe out there, I know when it rains in Miami, it REALLY rains!

Sorry about the missed weekend runs, Margo. Hope you are feeling better today and your miles go great for you!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Morning penguins!  I've increased my sleep this week.  So, I have less time to post.  Will try to check in later!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Bin Running

Damaris, hope no jet lag for you.

Margo, get well soon.

Scotty, run with boss went ok. He's not really a runner so we went easy on him. He left us after 2M and the youngster tried to kill me by cranking up the pace. Haa

Awood, enjoy the sleep in and taper.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning...Mid March, 15F. and the wind is howling.   Good day for a RD.   I need to move to a large Red state.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I am running tonight after work on the treadmill. Never tried to do this before. But I didn't sleep well last night so I decided in the middle of the night to reset my alarm for the latest possible time to get ready for work. Had I attempted to get up for my run I would have had only 2.5 hours of sleep. Can't function on that so opted for 4 instead.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Philliefan, feel better.

Scotty, the weather for my ultra will be worse than 85F.  Bah.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Good morning, colonists!  8 tonight after work with 4 x 1600 @ HMP.  Sounds a bit slow for 1600s, but who am I to argue with Mr. Pfitz?

Gustav- I used to take 2 days off before my races, then I started taking just the day before off, but this past time I took a RD *two* days before my race, then ran very easy the day before.  I really liked that, actually.  It gave me something to do with my nervous energy the night before, and wasn't a hard enough run that I had anything at all to recover from.  I think I'll do it that way next time if I can.

Bin- Sounds like the young guy is good company for when you want a challenge!

D- Hope work is OK and the miles are delightful later.

Margo- Don't sweat it, you've still got plenty of time.  I know you've been putting the time in over the training cycle, and in the long run that matters so much more than a missed LR here and there.

Scotty- Yikes!  I don't think I could handle temps changing like that all of the time!  Hope you have a great run!

Awood- Banking sleep- good work!  But I know you have time to post when you're not running this week!

Jerry- I know of a large blue state with lots of good running weather you could move to! Wink

kristin- Hope the TM miles go well!  I used to hate it, but now I enjoy them too.  It lets me get my runs in no matter what else is going on.  I just have my cheesy running playlist that I only listen to when I'm on the TM.

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

Didn't run yesterday, decided to take an actual rest day, crazy, huh?  I did go for a 3 mile walk, we'll call that recovery. Smile

Gonna be sunny and 65* this afternoon, I'll get some nice easy miles in then.

Hope everyone has a great day!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Zelanie I do hate the TM...haaaaaate it lol. To me it is just so completely different from running outside. But is better than nothing!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Still battling this cold a bit -- my throat is a little better but my stomach is a little iffy, and I don't know if it's drainage or Diclofenac.  Either way, there's not much I can do except soldier on, so there ya go!  Hoping to take the hike downtown that I've been avoiding for days.

Gustav -- enjoy your 3 easy!!

Bin -- I laughed at your impromptu tempo run!!

Docket -- welcome home!!  

Phillie -- hope you're feeling better!!

Scottydawg -- sounds like a lovely place to run!!  Yeah, I agree that the whole "winter into spring" generates bipolar weather!  We had snow yesterday, high of 63 today.

Awood -- hooray for more sleep!!

Jerryb -- wow, that is definitely TOO COLD!!

kristin -- yes, more sleep was a better idea!  Hope 4 hours gets you through!!

Zelanie -- good luck with your slow intervals!!

D2 -- enjoy your nice afternoon miles!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.