Beginners and Beyond

Rapid Muscle Response Workout (Read 59 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I got an email from Runners World today featuring this strength training video. I checked it out... the guy is kind of douche-y, but I like the exercises. I think they're good for me as I prepare to get back to running after 5 weeks off to get my muscles ready, and may be a good strength routine to continue as well. Has anyone tried these? What do you think? Is this a good strength training routine?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Love the Half

Oh hell no.  I ain't got time for that nonsense.  What I do have time for are form drills because I can incorporate them into a run I'm already doing.  I try to do these about twice a week.  I don't do all of the walking and striding between drills like they show; I just jog between them and I don't run afterward; I just do them at the end of a run.  

Running Drills

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Nevrgivup

I could only watch the first 30 seconds of your link Kristin. I'm sorry, but if you like it and it works for you than do it!

LTH- I really enjoyed the drill video. It was very informative and seems easy to incorporate into a run. Would you do this in place of strength training?

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Ain't nobody got time for that!

+1

If you want to increase your cadence, just increase it.  Much more effective than scratching at the ground like a cat in a litter box.

SheCan

kristin-- if I were like you and unable to run for a while, I'd probably try something like these also.  They look like they'd be good for strength and balance.  You're also doing spin classes, right?  I'd think the cycling would be really good for easing back into running.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

LRB

Some of the things he does between the two videos I can do without, but the hurdler raises helps loosen tight glute and lower back muscles.  By adding dorsiflexion as he suggests, you also engage the achilles, hamstrings and calf muscles.

Anyone who has spent time on the bench can testify to how important it is to stretch these muscles.

I do a similar exercise except that on the down stroke, I swing the leg all the way back without touching the floor and attempt to kick the butt, which engages the quad muscles.

When I first began, there was no way I could do them without holding on to something.  Now though, I could do 100 if I wanted in the middle of an empty room.  Not coincidentally, I no longer have the hip pain that plagued me my first two years running....

The other exercise he does of note, the Olympian, is a variation of two Myrtle exercises that are normally done on all fours, or leaning against a wall or other object.

The knee circle forward and backward:

And the hurdle trail leg forward and backward:

That he does them unsupported is an incredible show of single leg balance and muscle strength.

If you can do them as he does without staggering all over the room as if there is a sack of bowling balls on your back, then you are all set.

If you cannot however, it points to a severe lack of strength and balance in your hips and legs (a common problem amongst runners) and if left unchecked, may cause problems at some point down the road.

The form drills are important but is an entirely different topic altogether.

As far as time to do them, anyone who has had running taken away from them due to a deficiency as a result of weak hips or stiff muscles, will find 5 to 10 lousy minutes out of seven days that are each 24 hours long once per week.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

You are an NYC person right?

Do you know about Dr. Jordan Metzl?  He hosts free "iron strength" training sessions fairly often.  They are runner specific workout classes.  Anyways, I get his newsletter (sign up here) and I am tempted to give it a shot...probably when the weather allows for outdoor sessions.  Fair warning, I've done his workout on my own and it is a beast (check it out here).  There may be some exercises in it that you like.

Not really what you were looking for I know, but I thought I'd share the resource with you for future consideration...it's free!

**Ask me about streaking**

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks for an honest critique. LRB I do myrtls already...I found them helpful for getting over ITBS. I stopped once it went away but I've started again and vowed to keep it up. jamezilla thanks for the Jordan Metzl information. I had not heard of his clinics, definitely something to check out!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Love the Half

I could only watch the first 30 seconds of your link Kristin. I'm sorry, but if you like it and it works for you than do it!

LTH- I really enjoyed the drill video. It was very informative and seems easy to incorporate into a run. Would you do this in place of strength training?

I wouldn't think of them as in place of strength training as much as they are complimentary to it.  Form drills work on your flexibility and on your ability to recruit all of your muscles during a run.  Do these after a hard workout and I think you'll be surprised at how much better your legs feel than if you just do the typical 10-15 minutes of cool down jogging.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

MothAudio

Like Brad I do form drills on a regular basis, some of them similar to what's in the video. The timing of this is perfect as it suits my needs, seeing I'm taking a two week run vacation. LRB, I was surprised I was able to perform the hurdler one free standing as my hips are a wreak. The lunge move in the 1st video is similar to one suggested to me by another Master runner to improve stride length. I believe this is one of the reasons for my drop off in performance - shorter stride angler combined with a weaker push off as I'm not covering as much ground while airborne. Thanks for sharing Kristen!

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile