Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins Are Ready To Slide Head First Into The Weekend! (Read 27 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Had an awesome 5 miler after physical therapy last night. Easy pace is coming down! I don't know if I should be running - I never asked the therapist if I should be running, I just do it and tell him all about it! I mean if I were going for some kind of lung therapy, I wouldn't ask if it was ok if I breathe. Right?! Also, karaoke went quite well last night, at least it was a lot of fun!

First off - Congratulations to Awood and P3! Welcome to the beautiful institution of married life!

Baconista - welcome aboard! You don't have to respond to everyone - in fact the best way to get yourself off the hook is to start the Penguin thread first thing in the morning Wink!

To everyone else in the igloo nursing aches, pains, and other maladies - hope you feel better and remember it's the weekend!!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Gustav - good morning!  If the therapist didn't say no, then I say go for it.  LOL

AFM - all is well.  Ran 3 miles Monday or Tuesday (can't remember) and ended up lame.  LOL  I think I took it too hard going down one of the hills on the trail and was just sore, etc.  I've rested since and feel good.  I've been trying to take it easier in pref of my HM.  Saturday I'm meeting Mike and we're headed out for my final longer trail run before the HM.  Been otherwise busy here.  My work schedule is getting changed due to a personnel shortage and that will last for the summer.  It's a bummer but I saw it coming so not a surprise.

Take care everyone.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning!

Yay for awood and P3!!!

Getting ready to go to my last day of work at my current job!! I have such mixed feelings *sigh* and am still unsure if this was the right decision. I KNOW leaving this job is the best decision for me financially. As of Monday I will be making 30% more at my new job. 30% is a LOT....and may eventually allow me to cut hours at my evening part-time jobs (though I probably won't for at least a month or so) which would make a HUGE difference for my mental sanity (because right now I am burnt out from working a full-time job and 2 part-time jobs). But I am comfortable where I work now, and while my place of employment has its fair share of issues (but doesn't every place???) I do not DISLIKE working there. I have made friendships with coworkers and I will miss all the people I work with. Though I will likely keep in touch with some of them, it won't be the same without seeing them everyday. Most of all, I will miss my kiddos (I work with special needs children). I absolutely love every single one of the children I work with and I am so sad to leave them. Sorry..... I will stop blubbering on and on now. *sigh*

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Dad on the run.

Where do you live where you have to work 3 jobs? How do you even have time to enjoy life? I honestly don't mean for that to sound harsh or whatever but I just could not imagine spending pretty much all of my waking hours working.

Hope your new job works out for you though!

Morning!

Yay for awood and P3!!!

Getting ready to go to my last day of work at my current job!! I have such mixed feelings *sigh* and am still unsure if this was the right decision. I KNOW leaving this job is the best decision for me financially. As of Monday I will be making 30% more at my new job. 30% is a LOT....and may eventually allow me to cut hours at my evening part-time jobs (though I probably won't for at least a month or so) which would make a HUGE difference for my mental sanity (because right now I am burnt out from working a full-time job and 2 part-time jobs). But I am comfortable where I work now, and while my place of employment has its fair share of issues (but doesn't every place???) I do not DISLIKE working there. I have made friendships with coworkers and I will miss all the people I work with. Though I will likely keep in touch with some of them, it won't be the same without seeing them everyday. Most of all, I will miss my kiddos (I work with special needs children). I absolutely love every single one of the children I work with and I am so sad to leave them. Sorry..... I will stop blubbering on and on now. *sigh*

So I ran 3.1 with my buddy last night. I told him a few weeks ago that I think he could do 33:30 in his first 5k so when we got to the park he said he wanted to just run a nice comfy 11:30, I said "sure we can do that".... we averaged 10:30 and he finished 3.1 in 33:08. As long as they're no major hills I think he might can get that under 33:00, we will see though.

I really really want to run this race but I told him I would pace him. There is only like 180 people and I looked at last years race report and 3rd place in my AG was like 25:** I think if I raced it I would have a pretty good chance of placing, oh well though, there is more important things than that and my friends / family come first.

My leg felt pretty decent yesterday. 10:30 is a pretty easy pace for me so not a lot of stress being put on my legs. It was ever so slightly sore afterwards. I will keep running but keep it easy until my leg starts to feel better.

Thank the Good Lord its Friday! I'm ready for our run tomorrow followed by BBQ and the roasting of marshmellows on an open fire... (oh wait that's chestnuts and the wrong season). My friend and I have been promising my wife since we got married we would build a big fire sit outside and make smores, so that's what we are gonna do!

So my mom and my sister are going to ride to the bike shop with me today and get an idea on some bike prices. My sister still seems dead set on doing a tri but I'm going to make her run a few 5ks with me first before mom invest that much money into something that she may or may not even enjoy.

I will end my ramblings now Smile Hope everyone has a blessed Friday!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Where do you live where you have to work 3 jobs? How do you even have time to enjoy life? I honestly don't mean for that to sound harsh or whatever but I just could not imagine spending pretty much all of my waking hours working.

Hope your new job works out for you though!

New York City!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Bin Running

Gustav, congrats on the 5M..

Vance, any goal for the HM? Sorry abt the longer hours...

Kristin, it's always difficult to leave a job where you learnt a lot and made great friends.. I would change for 10%. haa

Jimmy, your buddy will appreciate what you are doing for him.. You can always race another one later.

Pretty bored at work today.. Glad it's over.. Knocked off 4M easy while waiting for DW to some home..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Dad on the run.

One word for you - Move. Smile

I really don't see how you people do it. I've never been to NYC but I've been close enough to know they are WAY to many people and WAY to many rude people for me to enjoy a place like that, I would love to visit, just to say I have been but living their just wouldn't be for me. I'm Mr Social and say crazy things like ya'll, yes/no ma'am, yes/no sir for me to ever fit in a place like New York Tongue lol

New York City!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

One word for you - Move. Smile

Eventually Smile. I don't think I want to raise my family in the city, but living here is something I have always wanted to do. Since I was 3 I have wanted to move to NYC. It has been a great place to live in my mid to late 20s. Even though I have had to work 3 jobs to afford the life I have wanted to live here, I have been able to have an amazing life experience that I wouldn't trade for anything. When I am ready to settle down, buy property, have a family, ect. I will likely move. I can barely support myself here, can't imagine having kids here! My boyfriend lives in Maryland in the suburbs of DC....it is likely I will end up there eventually, in a few years.

Good morning friends

Gustav - thanks for getting us going. Good job on the run. And like Vance said, you were not told No, so et after it.

Vance - hope that leg gets close to 100% by race day. Sucks about work, but hopefully it all works out.

Kristin- what's the new job. More money is good. I hope your new job is great.

Jimmy- it's so cool that you like to help others so much. This summer I get to run a 5k with my son and I wanted to run it for time, since I have never run a 5k. My kid is more important than a time though, so it's all good.

Bin- running 4 miles is much better than boring work. BTW what type of work do you do?

AFM- I ran 5.4 this am. Hot and humid. But it's done Smile the band concert yesterday should have been about an hour and a half, but lasted well over two and a half. The bosses are not real happy with the band director. Music was good though.

Make today great.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

T-Rod, I am a pediatric occupational therapist and I work full time in a school for children with special needs,  and I am just going to a different school that pays more, and has some other differences and opportunities attached that I think will be positive for me personally and professionally.

Dad on the run.

I will call you lucky for that. I always wanted to get in the pediatric field but one thing led to another. I allowed peer pressure to rule my college decision and here I am in the IT field, not at all where I wanted to be. Oh well, had I made different decision I might not have the life I have now and I wouldn't trade my family for the world, so I guess its all good Smile

T-Rod, I am a pediatric occupational therapist and I work full time in a school for children with special needs,  and I am just going to a different school that pays more, and has some other differences and opportunities attached that I think will be positive for me personally and professionally.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Philliefan33

Good moring penguin peeps!

Sounds like a weekend of new beginnings...Awood and P3 will tranisition into being a married couple and Kristin is movin' on up the salary ladder.  Congratulations to you all!

The weather is beautiful today, so I'm going to hustle to get all of my work done so perhaps I can slip out a little early this afternoon.  My boss has a standing golf date for Friday at noon....which makes it easier to cut loose once I get the work done.

5 miles planned for tonight.  Have a great day.!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The weatherman yesterday morning said a high temp of 90 degrees, humidity of about 52%, dewpoint of only 69.  Not too bad.  So after work, off I go down to the San Antonio Riverwalk.  Start doing my run/walk.  After about a mile I am thinking to myself, dang this sure is a warm 90 degrees!  Still, feeling pretty good, doing okay.   Just past 2 miles I am really starting to feel it now.  Stop at a local IBC bank and use the water fountain - Riverwalk is very convenient with all the hotels, restaurants, businesses, etc, and most of the banks along there don't close till 6 cuz of all the tourists in the area, so very easy to find water fountains.  Ahh, better.   Now up off the Riverwalk and on the downtown streets and heading back toward my car.  Sticking to the sides of the street, close to the buildings where the shadows are, out of the sun.  Starting to really feel it now!  End up back at Tower of the Americas with 3.3 miles done.   Right as I finish, the DJ on the radio station I am listening to says "Anyone active today, be careful out there...there is a heat advisory as the current temperature is NINETY-SEVEN degrees and the dewpoint has shot up to 71, which means it is STICKY and humid outside, folks!  Drink water, find shade, stay safe!"    97 degrees!  Shocked    No wonder I was feeling a bit warmer than '90' degrees, lol.   Stupid morning weather guy!  I got myself a bottle of water from the Tower cafe, plus a VERY cold beer, sat by the cool Tower fountains, feeling the spray of the water,  and enjoyed that beer immensely, which I felt I really earned today!

Today is a rest day.  And, for once on a weekend, I am doing NO races this weekend, the race schedule for our area this weekend  unusually light for some reason. So I will just do some running and 'exploring' at a couple of local parks and see what kind of 'adventures' I can get myself into. Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Bin Running

Tomas, doing some operations stuff in a French bank. Dealing with listed derivatives like Asian exchange index.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar