Beginners and Beyond

Penguins SunnyDAILY (Read 21 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Heading over to Lake Michigan later this morning for a lakefront run w/DW.  DD spent the night, so she might even join us.

Have a great Sunday !!!!

hog4life

Jerry, have a good run. Any luck finding groups yet ?

Getting ready for church and most likely a RD.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  18 with the last 9 @ MP + 10%.  Very nice and strong run.

Jerry, Mitch, enjoy your runs/rest of the weekend.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Jerry, lakefront run sound so nice!

Mitch, enjoy the rest day.

Damaris, running such workout well is a confidence booster.

Wanted to do 5 or 6 at indoor track but poo monster stuck at 3M. Able to hold till 4.5 before threading on a thin line. Fortunately, no awkward event.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Did race #45 for the year on Saturday, Aug 3:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/b00372b299d94928b06603e3102556e5/resume#focus

SunnyDAILY is right.  Followed my 5K up by doing a hill route around my neighborhood this morning.  It was already over 80 by the time I went out my front door at 7 a.m, with a 'feels like" temp of 85 and dewpoint of 75, gaaack!.   Very humid too! By the time I was finished I was drenched in sweat.  Went back in the house, drank some gatorade and then laid on the floor under the fan doing my post-run back exercises and stretching.  I will now be lazy for the rest of the day! Big grin  Especially as our temp is once again heading to over 100 degrees...102 for a high today.   Hoping for the Hall of Fame game tonite that Miami beats the Damn Dallas Cowboys!

Lakefront run sounds very nice, Jerry!  Hope it went well.

Enjoy your rest day, Mitch.

Congrats on your strong run today, Damaris!

Glad the Poo Monster did not give you any sh*t on your run, Bin!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

DD had migraine, so we ran the neighborhood.  4.2 slooow miles. Just warm enough to break a sweat.

Mitch, I did find a FB running group for the neighboring suburb so I joined it. .  I'll check it out.  Trouble is most groups running early or late because of work. We run early afternoon which is my after work.  Thanks for the suggestion.

tracilynn

I hate when the poo monster strikes.  Its a butt clencher muscle workout , eh?  Ha

Kayaking went well yesterday but ended up with another migraine and was down for the whole afternoon and evening.  My migraine medicine usually works very well but didnt yesterday for some reason.

Im gonna try to get a few miles in tonight After the sun goes down.

I have to take my 15 yr old back to school shopping later too Dead

~~~~~~~

Traci

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Jerry - Sorry you didn't make it over to the lake, but at least you got some miles in.  It sounds like you're making good progress.

Mitch - Enjoy your rest day.  I hope your church service was awesome today.  I'm glad I didn't miss today.

Docket - Sounds like your training is going well.  I'm kind of jealous that you've already got an 18 miler.  I can't wait to try one of those again.

Bin - I'm glad you didn't let the poo monster turn you into a gingerbread man.  Haha.

Scotty - I'm going to have to read your RR tomorrow.  I'm trying to spend less time on the computer on Sundays.  This is about as into the computer as I'll get today :-)  That's okay.  It gives me something to look forward to tomorrow.

Traci - I'm jealous of the kayaking, but not the back to school shopping.  Good luck!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

OH AFM -  I ran an easy 5+ today to get my 54 miles for the week.  Next week is low miles again.  I actually prefer the 60+ mile weeks, but I see the reasoning behind the lower mileage weeks.  They just drive me a bit batty.  This will be my last week before phase III, which is the toughest phase of training.  It's going to be challenging, but I'm looking forward to it.  I'm already happy with my progress.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Bin Running

Traci, sorry abt the migraine. Maybe a hot bath?

Awood, congrats in completing any tough week. Ginger bread man. Haa. Haven't heard if that before.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Awood, contrary to what hubby said, why are you doing 18 this early?  This is the second 18 miler and what's left to come scares me, ha.

2 more with hubby who is again SUFFERING FROM SHIN SPLINTS!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

My wife's suffering from shin splints right now too.  After her run yesterday got cut short, and she was very upset I told her that we need to get serious about treating the shin splings.  So, she's had her leg elevated since church today, alternating heat and ice.  We take a break from time to time to do some stretches.  She's taking Ibuprofen.  We don't have calf sleeves yet, but it's wrapped in an elastic bandage.

My foot was pretty painful earlier this year, but when I got SERIOUS about treating it I saw results pretty quickly.  I'm hoping we can do the same for her.  She has a 10K in September, and a HM in November and I know she'd be devastated if she had to DNS.  Yet, she knows I'm not going to support the idea of running either without getting through the training.  It's quite the situation, but I think she's doing the right thing now.  Hopefully, she'll be back up and running soon.

Awood, contrary to what hubby said, why are you doing 18 this early?  This is the second 18 miler and what's left to come scares me, ha.

2 more with hubby who is again SUFFERING FROM SHIN SPLINTS!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Docket_Rocket

I hope both are too!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

My first running injuries was SS. Then, I'm running abt 2 or 3 days (mostly 2, sometimes 1) per weeks. Each run is abt 4-5M. LR on weekend can be 8M. And on very old shoes. I didn't know better. SS pain went away once im warm up in the run. So, I thought its ok to keep on running. Until 1day, I can't run anymore.

Then, I google and found RW. The main thing for me is to come back slowly. 4min walk, 1min run is what I start with. Total of 30min. During this phase, I am doing some calf raise though not too religiously.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar