Beginners and Beyond

Race Report - The Walt Disney World Marathon (Read 127 times)

outoftheblue

Big congrats on your first marathon!  I really enjoyed your race report too.  Love the WEH quote, it really sums up a great life philosophy.  Celebrate and enjoy.  It won't be long before you find yourself itching to do another.

Life is good.

RSX

Congrats on your first marathon!! That looks like a great place for your first one.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Way to go, Ric, congrats on your marathon!  Nice photos there too.  What's up with that green soldier and the push-ups?  As if a marathon isn't punishing enough!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Awesome first marathon, great RR and nice pics!!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Nevrgivup

Congrats on your marathon!  Thanks for sharing your RR  and pics.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

No more marathons

Nice!  A great first marathon and an entertaining RR.

The other day I looked up the log entry for my first marathon.  It ended with the quote "my first and last".

This year Boston will be my 7th.  I think it gets under your skin.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

YAY!!! GREAT JOB!!

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on completing your first marathon.  Thank you for sharing your RR and giving us a taste of what a first feels like.

Ms Chenandler Bong

I remember telling Brett last year after our dinner together that I knew you would be running the marathon in 2014.  And you did!!!  Congratulations, marathoner!!!!

Marathon and ultra marathon runner.  Sour Patch Kid addict.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

So it really is a Magic Kingdom where your dreams comes true.   

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

You Rang?

Awesome Rick, you took me back to my first race last year, oh how memorable it was.  Your progression from the depths are remarkable.  You are blessed with a supportive wife and a great daughter.  I love how you take the introspective lessons and turn them into positive life changes.  Plus you look like you lost more weight

I remember last year when I hit Wide World at mile 18 that is where I reached my endurance levels.  My pace increased about 1:30 per mile reflecting the lack of long distance endurance I had, a simple symptom of not doing this long enough.  You were averaging 11:30 to 12:00's for the first 10 miles or so, although the 10:48 at mile 8 probably did not do you any good.   A jump to the 13:00+ range after 19 is to be expected.

One thing that is also noted is your pacing is rather broad, from 10:48 - 13:56, reflecting a lack of experience at this distance.  Who cares, you DID it, you are a marathoner.  Disney is not the place for even splits, and the joy of running through the Magic Castle is amazing.  Enjoy your vacation, and now you get to gear up for a less crowded west coast marathon in the fall.

Best regards

Thank you for your kind words.  I have lost a little more weight since last year.  Weight loss is very slow going now.  I imagine that I'll need to shed 20 to 30 more pounds before I get down to the skinny folks.

As to my pace, I intentionally started off slowly with the intention of holding it for all 26 miles.  I suppose we live and learn.

How's the hammy?

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

You Rang?

Nice!  A great first marathon and an entertaining RR.

The other day I looked up the log entry for my first marathon.  It ended with the quote "my first and last".

This year Boston will be my 7th.  I think it gets under your skin.

Congratulations on running Boston.  I've heard marathoning analogized with childbirth.  The pain of the birthing process is forgotten and the joy of ushering a new life into this world is remembered and cherished.  Or to put it another way, if ladies remembered the pain, no one would have any siblings.

Rick 

You Rang?

Congrats!!

Did you post your finish time, or did I miss it?

Thanks!

My finishing time is in there.  It's not impressive, but it's in there.

Rick 

LRB

I commend anyone who can run 26 miles in warm and humid weather!

In D's race report, I thought army dude was a statue. 

Congratulations, Richard!

It was wise to prepare not only physically, but also for the mental challenge of running a marathon, with a plan to conquer the "unknown" miles further than your training went.

Dropping and giving the green army man 10 pushups, good stuff Smile

Best of luck when/if you decide to climb Mt. Fuji again.