Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: San Antonio RoadRunners Members Appreciation Races (Read 10 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

Held on Nov 2, 2014.  This was my 61st race of 2014 and my 2nd one of the weekend after having done Dia de Los Muertos 5K on November 1st.  This was the annual "Member Appreciation" race for all the members of the San Antonio Roadrunners, the largest running club in San Antonio.  So only club members could participate.  The price was nice too:  FREE.  Nice turn-out this year, around 300 or so participants.  There were distances of 5K, 5 miles, 10 miles, 15 miles, and 20 miles.  I did the 5K...so, of course, I could get first-shot at the post race beer and goodies.    That, and my spinal arthritis won't let me do distance running any more.

I ended up with a chip-time of 37:07, adding about 4 minutes to my usual 5K time - I usually do a 5K in about 33 - 34 minutes - .mainly because I'm a klutz, lol.   On the course, the battery to my headset died.  I always carry an extra battery, so I took the old batter out, pocketed that for later disposal, then got my new battery..and promptly dropped it into the roadside grass.  I don't wear my glasses when I run so since I am nearsighted, I had to crouch down close to the grass to find the darn thing.  One of my running buds came along and saw me and shouted to me "Scotty, you're not throwing up over there, are you?"  lol.  Another guy post-race told me the same thing, lol, he'd seen me and thought maybe I was getting sick.  Nope...just a damn klutz.

BEFORE THE RACE

The race/event was held on River Road, which goes along the Guadalupe River.  Start and finish was at Rockin' R River Rides, a local area toob-rental business, quite popular in the summer season when toobers can float down the river.

Part of the river flowed right behind our start and finish area..that bridge to the left is one we crossed over for the start and finish

Our club sign, and one of our sponsors, Academy Sports

I also noticed this house across from the start area.....they must get a lot of exercise climbing up and down to their front door.

And some of the people, pre-start....it was a bit chilly on race morning for we South Texans....49 - 50 degrees in New Braunfels, the area where the race was held - so lots of folks were wearing jackets.  I had on another layer myself, under my top shirt.   I am sure this cracks up my running friends from the 'real winter" states in the North, Northeast, and Midwest, lol.

These two are wearing the tech tee shirts participants got. The San Antonio Roadrunners logo is on the front...

And this is on the back of the shirt, as modeled here by my friend Bob

Getting some race information...

One of the many runners of my club who inspire me

Getting ready to get onto the road...

ON THE COURSE

All courses were out-and-back along River Road.  Very scenic road that goes along the Guadalupe River. Also a narrow road and the road was still open to traffic, so it got a bit crowded in some places and the road was also 'curvy' in places so we had to be careful to keep an eye out and try and stay to the far side of the road.  This was a lot easier after I made the 5K turn-around point to come back since all the other distances folks kept going.  But initially going out, we runners and walkers pretty much took up one whole side of the road.  Luckily, everyone seemed 'aware' and I did not hear of any mishaps.  Although where I was me and the runners around me did see a couple of miffed drivers who apparently did not like their road being used and did not slow down for us at all.  Thankfully, the majority of the drivers out there that I saw were quite patient and careful.

Over the bridge....

...and through the woods....

River to our left

Coming back from the 5K turn-around point was a LOT less crowded...

River to our right now...and a nice view of a bit of it through the trees ahead of us...

My only companion for a bit...

...who nicely took a photo of me on the road...

AFTER THE RACE

We are both done! Every finisher got some dog-tag 'medals''....appropriate for me lol

Oh yeah, baby....

Come to papa!

And also in the goodies department...sloppy joes, chips, fruit, health bars, etc.

Our food preparers, who had to be out there super early

And all - well, some of them - the people post-finish

My friend Chris (right) signed up for the 5 miles and went ahead and did 6 miles....she's a glutton for punishment. 

Lollygaggers, uh huh...I think that must mean they gag themselves post-race on lollipops, cuz they sure weren't slackers  for the race!

My new 4-legged friend to whom I gave some treats.  Oh yeah, she had these humans with her.

That kid on the left is a natural.  Watch out, Mom...future lady heart-breaker....

Wow...my 4-legged friend there really knows how to make these humans "heel!" and "Stay!"  

Pink  Roadrunner....

Lovely Roadrunner...and she has better legs than the one on the shirt...... 

Don Juan de la Roadrunner...this guy gets around....

EPILOG

This was the 2nd year for this event and once again quite enjoyable.  At least for me, but I was only doing the 5K.  I'm sure the 10, 15, nd 20-milers might have their own opinions on how  "enjoyable" it may have been for them.   The only thing I did not get is why we all started together, instead of doing a  'staggering start'....the 20 and 15-milers going first, the 10-milers next, etc, with we 5K folks going last.   Just seems to me that would have helped a bit with the congestion, not to mention slow 5K folks like me getting int he way of the longer-distance and speedier folks, even though I did make sure to start myself way at the back of the pack.   Well, it all worked out, thankfully, and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves - especially post-race.     This one is a keeper on the race calender.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

Nice, that's quite the crew the Road Runners have there yo!  Where was Bernadette?  Is she not a member?

GinnyinPA

Sounds like a fun event.  I agree that staggered starts would make more sense, especially since those who ran the farthest would likely get back and find the beer and goodies all gone.  I love the idea of having that many options though, so you could run as far as you feel trained to run without planning for it months in advance.  Pretty route too.