Beginners and Beyond

Layering Up (Read 92 times)

No more marathons

Every year when the weather turns cold it take me a while to get into sync with what to wear at different temperatures.

I've tried putting notes with my workouts, but that's too hard to go back and find, so I thought I'd just start a thread.  Most likely I'll be the only one here, but that's OK - feel free to join in.

Today was sunny, no wind, and the temp was about 40.

Wore warm up pants, medium weight smart wool, short sleve cotton t, gloves, no hat.

Too much.  Shorts would have been OK, just the smart wool, or even a light weight smart wool.  Gloves were OK.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

LRB

My biggest issue with the switch to cold weather running is figuring out which gloves to wear.

For today's run in 30 degrees F wind chill of 26 I wore a long sleeve tech, heavy gloves and loose pants.  I still have not pulled out my jacket yet but came close this week running in 28 degrees a couple of times.

For training runs I wear shorts, a singlet, arm sleeves and gloves down to about 36 degrees.  I race in shorts, a singlet and arm sleeves down to about 28 degrees, which for me is just really great racing weather.

onemile

Today was 30 for my run. Light wind, cloudy.  I wore a short sleeve tech tee with a long sleeve on top, tights, a light beanie.  Perfect.

Mmmmm...beer

Here's my training breakout:

55*+ - shorts/singlet (or shirtless when it's hot)

50-55* - shorts/short sleeve shirt, gloves if it's windy

45-55* - this range can be weird for me, depends mostly on the wind, sometimes long sleeves, sometimes short sleeves, sometimes gloves

35-45** - shorts, long sleeve tech shirt, gloves/skullcap

30-35* - tights/pants, long sleeve tech shirt, gloves/skullcap

Below 30* - tights/pants, long sleeve insulated shirt, gloves/skullcap (I'll put a regular knit hat over my skull cap if it's in the teens/single digits, but that doesn't happen too much)

I can't run in a jacket, I get too hot.  I have a new waterproof shell that I'll probably wear as an outer layer if it's snowing or raining, to keep from getting wet/cold.  It's pretty lightweight and breathes well.  I tried it out in the rain, and if it had been colder, it would have been perfect.

Racing obviously is a different story, for my marathon this morning, it was 30* at the start, 40* at the finish and I was fine in compression shorts and a long sleeve tech shirt (with my team singlet over it, but it's a true racing singlet, so it offers no extra warmth), with gloves and a skullcap.  I was actually a little warm towards the end, but not too bad.  Could have been an argument for arm warmers, but I'm just not ready to make that leap yet. lol

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

LRB

Could have been an argument for arm warmers, but I'm just not ready to make that leap yet. lol

When you finally do you will not go back, them shits look fly yo.

Little Blue

43 degrees, light wind, sunshine.  Lightweight tights, long sleeve tech shirt, 1/4 zip pullover.  Running hat.  Not too warm, but warm enough to unzip after a mile.  Warm in the sun, cool in the shade.  Cold and shivery after stopping for a few minutes.  Gotta get out of those damp duds in a hurry!

Half Crazy K 2.0

Low 40s, started at 3:45, so sun was kinda low, no wind. I wore a short sleeve tech shirt under a Nike Pro quarter zip, tights (C9), light weight socks under light wool socks and gloves. I sweated some, mostly on my elbows, but felt chilly most of the run. And my hands are still cold even after a warm shower.

The treadmill in the basement is seeming more and more inviting. 

LRB

The treadmill in the basement is seeming more and more inviting. 

It has been since June (torrential downpour), and hopefully it is not until next June.  lol

Zelanie

Last night was about 30 with no wind.  I wore a long sleeve cold gear shirt, zip up hoodie, regular-weight tights, fleece-lined cap, mittens, and hand warmers.  Good for an easy run, would have been too much if I'd have been putting any effort into it.  It took 2 miles for the hood to come off and for me to zip the zipper down below my chin.  My hands were mostly good in the mesh-side of the mittens that let air through.

I wonder if another factor is early in the season vs. later when we're all adjusted.   It seems like I would have been way too hot in all of that last year.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I wonder if another factor is early in the season vs. later when we're all adjusted.   It seems like I would have been way too hot in all of that last year.

For me, yes. There was no gradual cool down here in Maryland, so this feels really cold.

In January, after learning what a polar vortex was, 32 degrees felt almost comfortable. Our coldest day was still above 0, so we had it easier than a lot of you. When it warmed up to 32, I saw a guy out running shirtless. It wasn't that warm.

Cyberic

I have a Salomon cross-country skying jacket that I wear as my winter running jacket. It is wind/rain stopper on top of the shoulders, in front and on top of the arms. Below the arms and the whole back of the jacket is spandex, and mesh in the arm pit area. I have not found a running jacket this smartly made (maybe they exist but I've never seen one). Usually wind/rain stopper = sauna.

Today though was too early to take it out. Temps were around freezing point, I had a long sleeves tech underneath the jacket and it was too much. Tomorrow morning I'll go with 2-3 long sleeves and no jacket.

Long pants, thin polar gloves, beenie hat and buff are a keeper for tomorrow.

LRB

I have always had great success with the plus 20 degree rule.  That is if it is 24 degrees, dress as if it is 44 degrees.  It really is idiot proof, trust me I would know.

delicate flower

Yeah, we're sort of between seasons right now.  It's tough to dress just right.  I was too warm today.  It was 40 with wind chill around 30.  I wore cold weather running pants, a long sleeve tech shirt with light running hoodie, light gloves, fleece hat.  Should have worn shorts and no hoodie.  I knew I was too layered up a quarter mile into the run.  The wind threw me off.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Here's my training breakout:

55*+ - LS, gloves, hat, tights, bitching and moaning it's cold

50-55* - All of the above, plus a jacket

45-55* - All of the above plus another complete layer of LS, tights, underwear

35-45** - All of the above plus a balaklava

30-35* - All of the above plus a parka

Below 30* - Fuck that shit, Miamians won't go out in that weather.

I can't run in a jacket, I get too hot.  I have a new waterproof shell that I'll probably wear as an outer layer if it's snowing or raining, to keep from getting wet/cold.  It's pretty lightweight and breathes well.  I tried it out in the rain, and if it had been colder, it would have been perfect.

Racing obviously is a different story, for my marathon this morning, it was 30* at the start, 40* at the finish and I was fine in compression shorts and a long sleeve tech shirt (with my team singlet over it, but it's a true racing singlet, so it offers no extra warmth), with gloves and a skullcap.  I was actually a little warm towards the end, but not too bad.  Could have been an argument for arm warmers, but I'm just not ready to make that leap yet. lol

FYP for Miami version of most runners I know.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Also today it was maybe 30 and I saw a guy out with just shorts and shoes.   Kids these days.