Beginners and Beyond

Happy Chinese New Year Sunday Penguins! (Read 32 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Yesterday I knocked off two driveways with the snow thrower, ran my 2 snowy miles, 30 minutes on the bike, and myrtle exercises. Today will be 1.5 miles in the afternoon to finish off the week.

Bin - Time to start off the new year with a run! Hope the ankle is healed.

Awood - good luck on your 5k!

Jen16226 - sorry to hear your race sucked. Third AG is good!

Mitch - bummer about your tooth - ain't no tooth fairy around when you're an adult!

Lauren710 - dead lifts and snow shoveling don't mix well together.

Dtothe2nd - looks like you got "some mud on the tires" yesterday!

Jack - Did you know that today is "Run in your new Newtons day"?

Scotty - Have a great race today - Gail is racing too, right?

kristin10185 - Wii stuff is fun!

Ginny - I haven't been on the AT in years - I miss it.

Zelanie - I could actually smell the chocolate and peanut butter cookies when I read that!

Al. - looks like the track test went so well you did it twice!

Jerry - watch out for the track traffic!

j3ffro - welcome on board!

n-bug - happy sailing!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

From the Internet.

Morning pens!

Gustav - Nice work getting all that done yesterday, enjoy your miles today!

AFM - Have to finish cleaning off the car, possibly taking DD to a birthday party this afternoon if the roads aren't atrocious (we have Subarus so I should be OK anyway). Fitting in ~2 really easy miles sometime this morning to bring me to 10 for the week, plus some PT exercises. I was contemplating braving the snowy roads this morning but it's 13 degrees right now, so I'll call over and see if the indoor track is open instead.

DH was in VT a couple weeks ago and brought me back a slab of dark chocolate from these folks, so I made this ice cream yesterday, and it was the best chocolate ice cream I've ever eaten! I'll never be able to enjoy store-bought ice cream again D:

hog4life

Gustav, that's some good workouts from yesterday!

Lauren, now I want ice cream Smile

I'm feeling much better this morning. I need to lay around and take it easy today, but would like to go out for a few easy miles. This is the last week before my half, so miles will be shorter this week. If anyone is interested, they have runner tracking for my half, just go to the Mercedes Marathon home page to register. If you need more info, just message me.

Mitch

Jen16226

Good Morning All.

Still kind of blah about my race yesterday,but what can you do besides just go run again?

Today I am swapping my 3 from today with my 5 for tomorrow.  DS is having some oral surgery tomorrow and I don't want to leave him to hit the trail...he is nervous enough about it because the last time he had to have teeth pulled, they had to pull 2 teeth so he could get his braces.  Well the guy pulled a wrong tooth(luckily a baby) and that just has him traumatized when it comes to the dentist now except for basic stuff.

Happy Birthday Scotty!!!!!  (it is today isn't it?)

Gustav- That was nice of you to do someone else' driveway.  Some of the pictures my friends back home are posting are just unreal!  Enjoy your 1.5 today.

Lauren- YUM on the ice cream!!!!!  I should try that recipe with some of the chocolate I get over at the Amish general store.

Alrighty.....gotta get dressed and get out.

Have a good morning.

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K

SheCan

"Cheri, how long did I take you to get your miles built up for a full? When I run a 15 miler a couple weeks ago, the increased distance showed it's ugly face."

Hey Mitch, sorry about not getting back to you.  I was looking at RA last night before I went to bed, and saw your question.  Anyway, I bounced off my HM in mid-Dec. So my Marathon was about 8 weeks following it.  At about 1-1/2 to 2 miles increase a LR, that gave me build up time and cut back weeks.   As my longest runs, I did a 19 and then several weeks later a 21 mile.  You can look at my schedule if you want.  I don't think it's private.  Also, this was my 3rd marathon, and I'd found that the super long training periods wore me out.  Since I wasn't coming from like a 20mpw but rather 40-50mpw, I just feel better with a shorter training schedule.  Hope that helps!

I'm going to go for a 7 or 8 mile soon after I finish my coffee. Its about 30* and looks cold!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Bin Running

Thanks for starting Gustav.

Ate plenty of goodies today while visiting relative. Managed to squeeze in 5 EZ miles before bed. Lying in bed now so can't really do personal on phone.

Its the year of the snake.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

hog4life

"Cheri, how long did I take you to get your miles built up for a full? When I run a 15 miler a couple weeks ago, the increased distance showed it's ugly face."

Hey Mitch, sorry about not getting back to you.  I was looking at RA last night before I went to bed, and saw your question.  Anyway, I bounced off my HM in mid-Dec. So my Marathon was about 8 weeks following it.  At about 1-1/2 to 2 miles increase a LR, that gave me build up time and cut back weeks.   As my longest runs, I did a 19 and then several weeks later a 21 mile.  You can look at my schedule if you want.  I don't think it's private.  Also, this was my 3rd marathon, and I'd found that the super long training periods wore me out.  Since I wasn't coming from like a 20mpw but rather 40-50mpw, I just feel better with a shorter training schedule.  Hope that helps!

I'm going to go for a 7 or 8 mile soon after I finish my coffee. Its about 30* and looks cold!

Cherie, that does help, thank you. I was kind of wanting to do a full, but was thinking my base wasn't strong enough at 25-30. I think as my base gradually builds up to the 35-40 range, I will consider it again. I remember when 10 milers were awful, but now they seem normal. So as my LR gets to the 14-16 range consistently, then it will be time for a full.

Mitch

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I did 11 miles this morning because by that time the heat and sun were brutal.  More miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Morning!  Headed out in a few to the gym with DD, then some shopping with her for a wedding we're going to next month, then it will be time to run 6.25 easy to finish up my miles for the week.  With any luck this will be my last week under 40 MPW until my taper.

Gustav- Sounds like you've earned your cookies too!

Lauren- That chocolate ice cream sounds delicious!

Mitch- Got all signed up to get texts for your race!  At first the sign up page was involved enough that I was worried I was signing up for the RACE instead of just the updates!

Jen- I think you did great in your race yesterday, and more importantly you didn't take a hard fall and break something.  I bet you'll see a training boost from it even because you were probably working different muscles than usual.

Cherie- Hope you have a great run!  And thanks for the info about your marathon training!

Bin- Happy new year!

D- I'm thinking it's a good thing you're getting a taste of the temps this week, maybe that way your lungs will be "used" to it on race day?

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning.

Just got back from the gym. 22 minutes on the elliptical, 1.75 miles on the dreadmill.

Now off to meet my mom for lunch for her birthday in Manhattan, then a matinee of the Broadway show Once!

Have a great day!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Eh, it's been in the 80s for months, what do you mean a taste?  It's been like this forever!!!!!!!  The ING Marathon was in the mid 70s. Cry

Morning!  Headed out in a few to the gym with DD, then some shopping with her for a wedding we're going to next month, then it will be time to run 6.25 easy to finish up my miles for the week.  With any luck this will be my last week under 40 MPW until my taper.

Gustav- Sounds like you've earned your cookies too!

Lauren- That chocolate ice cream sounds delicious!

Mitch- Got all signed up to get texts for your race!  At first the sign up page was involved enough that I was worried I was signing up for the RACE instead of just the updates!

Jen- I think you did great in your race yesterday, and more importantly you didn't take a hard fall and break something.  I bet you'll see a training boost from it even because you were probably working different muscles than usual.

Cherie- Hope you have a great run!  And thanks for the info about your marathon training!

Bin- Happy new year!

D- I'm thinking it's a good thing you're getting a taste of the temps this week, maybe that way your lungs will be "used" to it on race day?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

Hey Mitch, I want to track your progress during your HM. Does your last name begin with a B, M, or T?

Docket_Rocket

T

Hey Mitch, I want to track your progress during your HM. Does your last name begin with a B, M, or T?

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

Thanks D. I'm all signed up.