Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Cookies?  Does someone have cookies?

Onemile is going to bake me cookies!  Right, onemile?  (Actually, I'll bake her cookies after she gives me more rides to the airport!)

Running is dumb.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Onemile is going to bake me cookies!  Right, onemile?  (Actually, I'll bake her cookies after she gives me more rides to the airport!)

DUDE!!!!!!

Is that Oreos INSIDE of Chocolate Chip Cookie???

Bwaaaaaaa!!  That's reeeeeeDONKulous!!! YUM!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S.  That picture is HUGE!!  I can barely see what I'm typing in the reply!  LOL

Randy

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Ok, took my inaugural......uhhh.....Rerun??

Last night........I gave the treadmill a look over.  Gave my legs the look over.(including the recent bike-crash road rash)  Gave the mirror a look over.(you still in there running guy?)  And decided to step back on the hamster wheel.

I'd been running a bit after the Ortho said I could but emphatically suggested I cross-train too.  His words, "Well, it's hard to tell a runner to stop running....BUT....."  But at that time I would still occasionally get that sharp pain when I stepped wrong so I'd say it's been a good month that I haven't run a single step.

Anywho.....I did what I did early on in the injury and warmed up for a good 5 minutes with leg swings, etc.  Then another good 5 minutes of walking from casual to speed walk, uphill, etc. before I started to "yog".  Then I stepped it up in the next 5 minutes of running to about a 9min/mile pace.  Then I took it back to a walk and shook the legs out, stretched a little & hopped back on again for another 7 minutes getting up to about an 8:30 pace.  Then I slowed to a walk again, did the same shaking & stretching & got back on again for another 5 & took it up to about an 8:00 pace.  Felt good, but sure felt weird. (Forgot what it was like to sweat this much as cycling just doesn't wind me as much)

Still favoring the knee & I'm sure it'll take a while to get it out of my mind, I just have to keep reminding myself....."MRI was normal!!!  Nothing is torn!!  You're OK!!!!!!"

Only thing the doc said was, "Probably just IT band issue.  Just stretch more".  I really don't think the IT band would have manifested itself below the knee cap but I'm not a doc so I'll follow his advice.  I hopped of the treadmill pain-free and stretched.  No pain this morning & hopefully some of this cross training will strengthen my joints.

(shrug)

Randy

Nevrgivup

Those cookies look amazing and I'm not one to really like sweets. Give me salty any day. Today has been three weeks since my injury. I'm not crazy yet. I am in pain though today. Hurts like a mother to bear weight at times. Can't wait to get this Si joint straightened out. I had a similar injury about five years ago that I saw a physical therapist for. Much rather have this than the back injury I had a few years ago. Guess its a life long thing. Trying not to get down and reevaluate my future goals as a runner. I have many years ahead of me to run and I'm not a quitters. I want to thank everyone here for being supportive and I just want to say how thankful I am to have a place to go to hash out my frustration.

Btw- I've been sort of analyzing how I got injured and it could just be wear and tear on my body. After putting in a twelve hour shift at the hospital yesterday where I was pushing and pulling patients in beds, turning patients that are close to three hundred pounds of dead weight, its a wonder why I'm injured. Bedside nursing is rough. I leave some days feeling as if I'd been hit by a truck.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

onemile

I'm not sure about sticking an Oreo in the middle of a delicious cookie. Oreos have their place in the world but...

Singer who runs a smidge

I made these cookies once, and they were AWESOME!!  But you could really only eat one before the sugar shock rendered you unconscious.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Nevrgivup

Proof that running is an addiction. I'm having a rough day today. Its silly, but I have been crying here and there out of nowhere. Could it be lack of endorphins? I also run for this little girl and not being able to so right now is killing me. Her mom posted some cute posts that I posted to her a few weeks ago and it was a trigger for me. Lol. I'm laughing because its silly how crazy not being able to run does to ones psyche.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

So sorry to hear Hilary, but you know it's the 6" between your ears that's doing it.

Ya know, I had no idea what depression/anxiety were til I was about 28 years old and got hit like a Mac truck!!  Many don't know they're suffering from it (or an episode of it) until they finally realize that something is just not right.  I now know.....it is VERY real and makes you someone you normally are not!

You will overcome this.  I didn't think I would be down for 3 months when that first pain struck me, but such is life.  Once you're past this, it won't matter anymore, but going THROUGH it is certainly a living hell, I know!

One thought I had about the girl is if you want to swim/bike/whatever, perhaps you can register time/miles/laps or whatever to record that you've been doing *something* even in the midst of a running-prohibitive state??

P.S.  And as for cookies......well, when we're talking Chocolate Chip......Is there any reason to really make them into cookies at all??  They do just fine as cookie dough all by itself!!

COOKIE DOUGH FTW!!!

Randy

Nevrgivup

Redrum- Thank you. I have been doing just that with my little buddy. I wasn't ashamed to post myself in a bathing cap my first day back in the pool. Feeling a little better now as I have anaaccupuncture appointment lined up next Tuesday (why not try?) I got a good recommendation and my first real physical therapy appointment next Thursday at the better facility. A good cry never hurt anyone.  Ps. I do have anxiety and depression and running helps so I have no shame in crying.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Redrum- Thank you. I have been doing just that with my little buddy. I wasn't ashamed to post myself in a bathing cap my first day back in the pool. Feeling a little better now as I have anaaccupuncture appointment lined up next Tuesday (why not try?) I got a good recommendation and my first real physical therapy appointment next Thursday at the better facility. A good cry never hurt anyone.  Ps. I do have anxiety and depression and running helps so I have no shame in crying.

No but needles do!!

Actually, I might even enjoy it.  Or at least whatever it's supposed to do.  But as soon as they brought the first needle toward my skin, I'd probably pass out anyway so I don't know that I'd get to enjoy any of it.

Randy

Will run for scenery.

Hey gimps and limpers!

I almost died today.  The gym re-opened this week and I went in and tried the stationary bike.  The boredom was so intense I was starting to see the portal of light.  So I switched to something I despise even more - the elliptical.  It was just as bad.

Finally I had burned enough calories I figured I could finish up with 1.5 miles on my friendly beloved treadmill.  I only made it 1.3 before I started getting a teeny twinge of foot pain (Plant a Flashy Ficus).  So I stopped immediately.

The good news is that my feet don't hurt tonight.   I'm gonna try building up very gradually this time, with no "running through it".  And I've been rolling on a golf ball, which seems to help.

Even though it seems pretty "lame" as far as workouts go, I do feel a nice little lift.  The extra pounds and lack of endorphins heroin have been getting me down lately.

And my stupid tennis elbow seems to have moved in and unpacked.  It's been since October, FCOL.  And I don't even play tennis !

On the brighter side, I got my AARP card in the mail.  So there's that.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Singer who runs a smidge

Hey gimps and limpers!

I almost died today.  The gym re-opened this week and I went in and tried the stationary bike.  The boredom was so intense I was starting to see the portal of light.  So I switched to something I despise even more - the elliptical.  It was just as bad.

Finally I had burned enough calories I figured I could finish up with 1.5 miles on my friendly beloved treadmill.  I only made it 1.3 before I started getting a teeny twinge of foot pain (Plant a Flashy Ficus).  So I stopped immediately.

The good news is that my feet don't hurt tonight.   I'm gonna try building up very gradually this time, with no "running through it".  And I've been rolling on a golf ball, which seems to help.

Even though it seems pretty "lame" as far as workouts go, I do feel a nice little lift.  The extra pounds and lack of endorphins heroin have been getting me down lately.

And my stupid tennis elbow seems to have moved in and unpacked.  It's been since October, FCOL.  And I don't even play tennis !

On the brighter side, I got my AARP card in the mail.  So there's that.

Ok, this entire post made me laugh!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Nevrgivup

I tried pool running last night after doing a few laps in the pool and actually didn't mind it. Today my si joint is a pisser. I tried to do some stretches that I got from a friend from youtube that didn't really work. PT can't come soon enough. I read a lot about this si joint dysfunction and it comes mostly from sitting and poor posture. Ding ding ding. Grad student that once was called by a classmate a banana. LOL. My posture is the absolute worst! Something to work on I guess. Anyhoo. I'm off to Boston this afternoon for a medical appointment for something entirely not related. At least I will be in the big city with Dh for dinner tonight. Have a good day all.

obiebyke

Hello injured folks. Man, I've been such a lump since the 1st. I really should at least be doing some strength/core work, but nope. I got new free orthotics in the mail yesterday. At first try, they don't feel good, but I might take them for a 5K spin tomorrow and see how my knee feels. Quite possibly not smart before my doc appointment next week, but I'm going stir crazy and my knees feel a lot better with the rest I've been getting.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Nevrgivup

Hello injured folks. Man, I've been such a lump since the 1st. I really should at least be doing some strength/core work, but nope. I got new free orthotics in the mail yesterday. At first try, they don't feel good, but I might take them for a 5K spin tomorrow and see how my knee feels. Quite possibly not smart before my doc appointment next week, but I'm going stir crazy and my knees feel a lot better with the rest I've been getting.

Just remember. You may go back to square one with healing if you do too much too soon. I foolishly ran 3 miles on Dec. 31 and probably should not have. I'm limping around as we speak. At least I am able to swim. Thankfully. I hate that my Dh is right. He is not an exerciser or runner, but has seen me injured plenty of times and has stressed the need for me to cross-train. Yup. He was right.