Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

bluerun

Super B****

Don't laugh, Hilary, but when I fractured my hip my mom took me to Target and I bought a shitload of coloring books.  It kept me entertained quite nicely.  

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Nevrgivup

Don't laugh, Hilary, but when I fractured my hip my mom took me to Target and I bought a shitload of coloring books.  It kept me entertained quite nicely.  

Not laughing at all. I was thinking about how you dealt with your injury. How the hell did you manage without going crazy? Were you on bed rest?

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Xoxo to hilary...hang in there!

Ick about the new tendinitis bluerun Sad

Guys I ran today!! On a treadmill. For a mile. And it was walk/jog intervals. But I'm calling it a win. I did a 7 minute warm up on the bike, 30 min on the elliptical, then a 14 minute mile on the TM.  Smile

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Nevrgivup

Xoxo to hilary...hang in there!

Ick about the new tendinitis bluerun Sad

Guys I ran today!! On a treadmill. For a mile. And it was walk/jog intervals. But I'm calling it a win. I did a 7 minute warm up on the bike, 30 min on the elliptical, then a 14 minute mile on the TM.  Smile

That sounds like a great workout Kristin! Happy for you! I never thought I'd want to get on an elliptical so bad than I have now. Soon enough.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I am really not looking forward to the boredom of recovery.

Running is dumb.

Nevrgivup

I am really not looking forward to the boredom of recovery.

Mandy its not that fun. Believe me. I can't wait till I can at least drive and that way I can walk around the mall or something. How long will you be down?

bluerun

Super B****

I wasn't on bed rest, but I may as well have been since I couldn't really DO anything… and my elbows were killing me after the first week of hauling myself around on crutches, so even if I'd wanted to go somewhere, it would have involved far more agony than it was worth.

I read a lot, too.  And threw myself way too many pity parties, I will admit.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Mandy its not that fun. Believe me. I can't wait till I can at least drive and that way I can walk around the mall or something. How long will you be down?

I am not sure.  I will be staying with my parent's.  I will be on crutches for about a month, I think.  You should have waited to start hurting so we could have had consecutive surgeries

Running is dumb.

Nevrgivup

I am not sure.  I will be staying with my parent's.  I will be on crutches for about a month, I think.  You should have waited to start hurting so we could have had consecutive surgeries

I know. I have a friend who just had ACL surgery. Poor girl is worse off than me right now. I'm not going back to work for at least 4-5 weeks. Definitely going to milk that since I have time built up. I'm not taking the risk with all the physical stuff I do at work and I may just go back in 8 hour increments. I should be able to start school clinical in 2-3 weeks since there is hardly any lifting involved. 

You are lucky that you will be with have people to help you. I can't imagine doing this alone. The biggest thing that is bugging me is not being able to vacuum and clean. I have hardwood floors and its killing me to not clean them. Funny how it doesn't phase Dh.

obiebyke

Hilary, I'm glad the pain is so monumentally better. I can't believe you want to clean! That would not be the first thing I missed.

I've been doing my wee 2 mile runs. It makes my knee sore, but I know it's just the tendinitis now. I started my PT exercises yesterday and mixed in some stuff with my exercise ball. Apparently the part I need to strengthen most is my gluteus medeus, and PT asked me to do 3 sets of 30 side leg lifts with my toe pointed slightly up. I could only get through 1 set! Weak weak weak. Kind of embarrassing, but I guess that's why I'm getting PT.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Nevrgivup

Small victories. After crying most of the morning, ( was waiting for this to eventually happen) I walked to the mailbox and back. This is about 1500ft or more. I have a bit more nerve pain than I did yesterday, but still off all pain meds. I have my f/u appointment with the neurosurgeon next week and than I can increase my activity more. I have to remind myself that it is only day 4 of my recovery. The thing I've been thinking about the most is getting a bike this spring. If I cannot run as much as I'd like, I will ride. Even if its something totally new that I will be learning. Oh the challenge.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Small victories. After crying most of the morning, ( was waiting for this to eventually happen) I walked to the mailbox and back. This is about 1500ft or more. I have a bit more nerve pain than I did yesterday, but still off all pain meds. I have my f/u appointment with the neurosurgeon next week and than I can increase my activity more. I have to remind myself that it is only day 4 of my recovery. The thing I've been thinking about the most is getting a bike this spring. If I cannot run as much as I'd like, I will ride. Even if its something totally new that I will be learning. Oh the challenge.

Wow.......you hate the guy that much huh??  

P.S.  Get the bike, you'll love it!!   Just don't get hit by a car.....or a truck!  That's not as much fun as the riding part.  

Randy

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

So  I have a question about building back mileage after injury. This is my first week back to running. I will probably only do 8-9  miles. If I only increase by 10% each week (we will round .8,.9, 1.1, 1.2 ect to 1 mile) it will take 11 weeks to get back to over 20 miles per week. 3 months.....really? Is that necessary?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Hip Redux

Kristin - it took me about two months to get to 20mpw.  I did not do the 10% though, but more of a step ladder.  It's worked out well, so far.

~3 weeks at 9-10mpw (3 x ~3 miles)

~3 weeks at 12-15 mpw (4 x ~3-4 miles)

~3 weeks at 15-20mpw (5 x ~3-4 miles)

I didn't start increasing the length of the individual runs until I could handle 4-5 times/week routinely.

Nevrgivup

I'll go with what Oski said. When I had my groin injury and took 8 weeks off it took about 3 months to get up to 20mpw. You don't want to jump into the saddle too quickly and than go backwards.