Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

Hip Redux

I hear you.  I really do!  It's a struggle for me right now.  I worked so hard last summer to lose my damn injury weight from LAST winter.  Now I'm desperately just trying to maintain during this inactive period, but honestly I'll consider it a win if I only come away from this gaining 5 pounds or so.  I'm so tired of being injured.

You aren't injured anymore.  Now you're healing. Big grin

What sort of stuff do they have you doing in PT?

LRB

I don't think my knee likes the bigger drop in the Adrenalines, because I had more knee pain in them than when I was running (and my running shoes are all either low drop or zero drop).

I retired my Adrenalines after 74 miles but not because of pain, I just did not like the ramp.

I do not run in zero drop shoes and pay more attention to heel height.  The shoes I wear are either 27 mm high, 25 or 23 respectively.  While the Adrenalines checked in at 31. It does not seem like a lot but apparently makes a difference for me.

That said some people run in them without issue so as with all things running, your mileage may vary.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

You aren't injured anymore.  Now you're healing. Big grin

What sort of stuff do they have you doing in PT?

Ohhhhh, I see.  Technicalities Wink

Not much, honestly.  Ankle pumps, quad/glute tightening, weight shifting, range of motion type stuff.  It's pretty low key for the first 6 weeks.  I am a little nervous they are going to have me try to walk on Tuesday.

Running is dumb.

Will run for scenery.

Oski, didn't you get a kayak last year ?  Would that work as a recovery exercise ?

And hey, what happened to your Ö ?

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Hip Redux

Oski, didn't you get a kayak last year ?  Would that work as a recovery exercise ?

And hey, what happened to your Ö ?

I got rid of the Ö, you know, keep people on their toes. Tongue

Yep, I have a kayak.  I am definitely hopeful I can get on the water relatively quickly!

Nevrgivup

Oski- I know you said you hate the elliptical and walking, but doing anything will help you in recovery. Trust me. I'm glad I did all the pool running, swimming, and walking while injured because I feel like I didn't lose that much fitness with my time off. It sucks, but you still have a few months to go before surgery. Despite it being sucky, I'd try to do something. If not for the physical benefit, but for the mental benefit.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Docket_Rocket

If the weather would cooperate, I could bike!   I'm stuck right now to the indoor spin bike in my living room.  Or the elliptical.   There's only so much of either I can take though, and maybe I'm hitting my limits.   I would be in much better spirits if I could get outside, I think.    I'd go for a walk but I can't do hills without pain and that's all I have around my house.

In other news, I bought a pair of Hokas.  Big grin  They are much kinder to my hip than the Brooks Adrenalines I've been working out in.   Funny, since I stopped running I've been mostly in the Adrenalines and my knee has been KILLING me.   No issues with the Hokas though!  I don't think my knee likes the bigger drop in the Adrenalines, because I had more knee pain in them than when I was running (and my running shoes are all either low drop or zero drop).

Hope you get to go out soon!

PS, I love the Hokas.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

bluerun

Super B****

Oski -- of course it was normal.  Waste of time.  I'm totally the opposite of you; I don't like nice weather when I'm injured, because I refuse to cycle outdoors anyway, and it just brings out more runners for me to want to pummel.  But I'm hoping for nice weather for you in YOUR neck of the woods!

Mandy -- you're probably going to feel like you've never walked before in your life.  Coming off crutches for the first time in a few weeks is always an ... interesting sensation.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Hip Redux

Oski -- of course it was normal.  Waste of time.  I'm totally the opposite of you; I don't like nice weather when I'm injured, because I refuse to cycle outdoors anyway, and it just brings out more runners for me to want to pummel.  But I'm hoping for nice weather for you in YOUR neck of the woods!

Oh yeah.  As soon as I am 100% restricted I am going to HATE the nice weather. 

My husband was concerned that I wasn't going to make it to his race mid-May.   I told him that his racing schedule was of little importance to me at the moment.    Gonna be a long summer.

bluerun

Super B****

Oh yeah.  As soon as I am 100% restricted I am going to HATE the nice weather. 

My husband was concerned that I wasn't going to make it to his race mid-May.   I told him that his racing schedule was of little importance to me at the moment.    Gonna be a long summer.

Take a trip to the other end of the world... it's going to be winter there!

I feel your pain... I broke my hip at the beginning of June in 2012.  That summer sucked a lot.

chasing the impossible

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Mandy -- you're probably going to feel like you've never walked before in your life.  Coming off crutches for the first time in a few weeks is always an ... interesting sensation.

It's a no go coming off crutches yet!  I was too optimistic.

I just got back from my second PT appointment.  I was told that next time they would start to wean me off the crutches (3 weeks post-op).  Oh well!  But he did say my range of motion was excellent and I seemed to be ahead of the curve.  :thumbs up:

Running is dumb.

bluerun

Super B****

I just need to express my extreme frustration that after two weeks of no running (and that includes the AlterG), my leg still ****ing hurts.  And I can't take off more time because A) it won't help and B) I will kill myself.  So.

chasing the impossible

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I just need to express my extreme frustration that after two weeks of no running (and that includes the AlterG), my leg still ****ing hurts.  And I can't take off more time because A) it won't help and B) I will kill myself.  So.

Maybe I missed it, but the doctors still don't know what's wrong with your leg??

Running is dumb.

bluerun

Super B****

"It's the tendon."

Okay.  Whatever.  That is of no help at all.  And I don't see why I should waste more money on co-pays to find out that nobody knows why it hurts!!

chasing the impossible

Hip Redux

Like tendonitis or something??