Beginners and Beyond

As we approach 2013, a little reminder about race manners (Read 538 times)

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Whatever the pace, wherever the race, race manners matter.

At The Starting Line

1. Line up according to how fast you plan to run or walk. Slower runners and walkers should move to the front of the group if you want.  You paid to run the race and therefore may start from where ever you want.

2. Don’t pay attention to the pre-race instructions. It’s all just BS anyways, besides you won’t remember them anyways plus you paid for them to take care of you in this race.

3. Pin your race number on your butt. This is where it is most visible for the fools behind you to know who is walking and blocking them.  That way your race number is etched into their memory and with a quick Google search they can find who pwned them in the race.

4. If you drop something any time during the race, stop and pick it up. You obviously needed it or you would not have brought the Camelbak and GUs with you to the 5K.  Those behind you will be expecting it and looking for how to dodge around you. NEVER trust that a race official will get it and give it back to you.  Why do you think there are so many volunteers at a race?  They split up the dropped loot at the end of the race.

You're Off!

1. Run or walk no less than two abreast. Other runners will want to get by you, SCREW THEM!  They should have lined up in front of you.

2. If you are stopping at an aid station, stop at the first table, grab water, and just stand there next to the table so others will have to move around you. If you want to stop and drink at the next tables then go for it.  You paid good money to be supported at this race, take advantage of it.  Keep the cup as long as you want and toss it at least a mile down the road before the next aide station.  Remember all those volunteers?  They will be scrounging the spaces between aide stations looking for dropped gear loot and pick it up then.

3. Even those of us who perspire instead of sweat may have to deal with bodily functions during the race. If you need to spit, just turn and spit.  It’s up to the following runners to keep track and avoid the snot rockets; same goes for throwing up (riding the vomit comet). If nature calls, stop and drop your trousers right there on the course, don’t waste time looking for a port-a-potty.  It’s even better if you let the green apple splatters fly while still running.  The guy drafting you won’t mind as its “ALL PART OF RACING.”

4. Don’t move to the side if someone behind you says, "Excuse me" or "Coming through." Fucker better be able to pass and outkick you if he wants around you, and to avoid your effort to elbow him or trip him. 

5. If you need to tie your shoe or stop for any reason, stop right there in the road. People coming up behind you are nimble enough to dodge you.  If they trip over you then they should have been paying attention to the ground in front of them and not looking to the side to check out some cute asses. 

6. Feel free to shout words of discouragement to other runners. Let them know how much they suck as you pass them.  This will motivate them to get moving faster.

7. Don’t pay attention to what is going on around you during the race. Just plug in your headphones and rock out to Night Ranger.  A few air guitar riffs and of course who cannot help but rock a few Pete Townsend HUGE arm swing guitar riffs as well.

Approaching The Finish

1. You have done your own thing up to this point so why start listening now.  DON’T follow the instructions of the race officials at the finish about which chute to take or staying left or right, he is just full of BS anyways.

2. Most races don't allow your nonregistered friends and relatives to run with you in a race, but who cares you paid the entry fee and really need the friends and family to help you across the finish line singing coombyah 4 or 5 wide all holding hands.  Finishing a race on your bucket list is a spiritual thing so make the most of it.

3. Once you have crossed the finish line, stop and flop down right there and celebrate!  A few NFL dances or maybe even a Teeboo move on the finish mat are great to do as well.  All those behind you can suck it, they should have, A lined up ahead of you or, B not been as weak as to not out kick your posse at the end. Loiter in the chute taking family pictures as much as you want, eventually move to the end of the chute.

4. Enjoy the post-race refreshments, dig in and grab up all you want. All those behind you can suck it again, they should have, A lined up ahead of you or. B not been so weak as to not out kick your posse at the end

A Final Reminder . . . .

Enjoy the race and do what ever you want since you paid the entry fee!

Docket_Rocket

If you're OK with it, I can add it to the guidelines and terminology sticky.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

CLASSIC!!!  As few races as I've run, I've seen so many of these things happen.  Just last weekend I saw someone run right into a snot rocket.  The girl didn't even look.  She just turned her head and did it.

If you watch the video of me finishing my first HM, there are two women in front of me that stop right on the mat.  I wasn't expecting that, but managed to only "bump" them.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

LOL!

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

dallison

registered pw

At the turkey trot i ran, there were 2200 runners and my butt was parked about 8 rows back. one minute before the start a mother with three kids, ages around 10-12 jumped in line . Did she realize what danger she just put them in?  i am shocked they didn't get mowed over.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Zelanie

At the turkey trot i ran, there were 2200 runners and my butt was parked about 8 rows back. one minute before the start a mother with three kids, ages around 10-12 jumped in line . Did she realize what danger she just put them in?  i am shocked they didn't get mowed over.

On the other hand, at my most recent race a mom and a kid were lined up in the very front, and I think the kid finished in 21-something.

Little Blue

I've been doing it wrong. Undecided

LRB

Hilarious!

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Agreed !

Dude

Horrible image but I think you can see the guy in the front fits right in with all the elite runners some of which were:

Joseph Mutinda, Kenya,  Abraham Kogo, Kenya,  Eric Chirchir, Kenya, Fred Mogaka Tumbo, Kenya. James Kirwa, Kenya

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

I can't wait to try some of these techniques out! Smile

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Ok, good to keep in mind. I will do ALL of these things!!!!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

RSX

I was in a 5k once where they let walkers line up with runners. The start was in a tight area as it was, and 200 yards away was a sharp right. I was taking the turn when 3 or 4 women walkers thought it would be fun to hold hands. I had to stop and go around them so that I wouldn't crash into them. It is a popular race but I would never go back.

LRS

Chasing Muses

Hehe, you said "two abreast."

Shakedown Street

Agreed !

Dude

Horrible image but I think you can see the guy in the front fits right in with all the elite runners some of which were:

Joseph Mutinda, Kenya,  Abraham Kogo, Kenya,  Eric Chirchir, Kenya, Fred Mogaka Tumbo, Kenya. James Kirwa, Kenya

i saw that on live tv....i was like wtf....tool

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

i saw that on live tv....i was like wtf....tool

My eyes are not good enough to see what's wrong with that picture

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to