Beginners and Beyond

I bought this today (Read 106 times)

Hip Redux

It's Meb's ElliptiGo.  Well this one isn't Meb's.  It's mine.

After some failed attempts at biking post-surgery and facing a slow return to running, I decided that I needed something for my mental health that would get me outside and without hip pain that was more than walking.

The first trip out was 2 miles and it kicked my ass.   My abs, quads and glutes were feeling it, and I had to stop at one point because I was so out of breath!  It takes a serious amount of balance to stay upright, so I'm not quite comfortable taking it out on roads yet and I'll use the rail trail only for a bit.

Wheeeeee.

onemile

Much better than ellipticalling at the gym I'd think.  Enjoy.

Love the Half

When I was down with my stress fracture, I gave serious consideration to getting one of those and might have dropped the hammer had my orthopedist not been such a damn stick in the mud about not doing anything that flexed my foot.  The fact that it kicked your ass is a good thing as it means you are working hard.  Enjoy and I'm officially jealous.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

That looks fun.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Where's the seat?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Love the Half

Where's the seat?

Winner.  Close the thread.  

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

B-Plus

No way! Did you find any elliptigo races yet?

Zelanie

Nice!  Glad you are finding a good way to get active and outside!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Indeed, very cool!!

I thought for a second about whether Meb really uses one of those but if he says he does, then he does.  Meb's legit!

I, too, think it's great that it kicked your butt.  Once you're doing long stints on it, you'll probably significantly stronger for it!!

Randy

Docket_Rocket

Never even seen one.  OK, I'll go to my corner now.

Nice.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

Never even seen one. 

What?  Your internet privileges have been suspended. lol

happylily

So how does it work? When you're working on it, you're actually traveling? Like riding a bike without a seat? People are watching you go in the streets on your elliptical? Not sure how I'd like that. I'm pretty private when it comes to things like that, I feel embarrassed just running outside. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

... I feel embarrassed just running outside. 

So that's your secret to running fast marathons; you run fast to get through the embarrassment quicker.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

What?  Your internet privileges have been suspended. lol

LOL.  Well, just because it's on the internet does not mean I need to search for it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

So that's your secret to running fast marathons; you run fast to get through the embarrassment quicker.

LOL

Yes, Lily, you move when you pedal the elliptical!   And you are a good foot taller than standing too, so you basically feel like an awkward giant when you pass people.

Dean Karnazes also uses it, supposedly.  So I am totally going to be knocking out those ultras in no time.