Beginners and Beyond

Tubicinate Tuesday Penguins (Read 23 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Tubicinate:  To blow a trumpet

Which is apparently what is needed today to wake up all the Penguins!

WAKE UP PENGUINS!

photo penguintrumpet_zpseb913ba5.jpg

Another beautiful day in San Antonio - 62 degrees right now at 6:42 a.m.   Will be a bit cloudy and overcast today but a nice temp of 74 degrees.   Sounds like a good day for a 3-4 mile easy run along the scenic San Antonio Riverwalk.  Here's a sample of what I see when I'm down there running some of my Riverwalk routes...

san antonio riverwalk photo: San Antonio Riverwalk riverwalk.jpg

san antonio riverwalk photo: Riverwalk DSCN1602.jpg

san antonio riverwalk photo: Riverwalk in San Antonio sanantonio.jpg

san antonio riverwalk photo: Riverwalk 111.jpg

san antonio riverwalk photo: Riverwalk 2009 June142009102.jpg

san antonio riverwalk photo: San Antonio Riverwalk DSCN6141.jpg

san antonio riverwalk photo: San Antonio Riverwalk tunnel 2009 June142009107.jpg

san antonio riverwalk photo: San Antonio Riverwalk bridge 2009 June142009108.jpg

san antonio riverwalk photo: Colorful San Antonio Riverwalk 2009 June142009109.jpg

And then after I finish, I usually stop here for a nice post-run cold one....

They have a nice wait-staff.....

photo MadDogLadies_zps8936fbf3.jpg

And always remember to pat the Mascot on the way in for luck.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I WANT 62F TOO!

A walk tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Morning!  I WANT 62F TOO!

A walk tonight.

That is the low for us today.   Your low is, what, about 82?    High today for us in the 70s, so nice.  Then tomorrow Mother Nature is messing with us again for ONE day - lows in the morning of 30, and we won't get out of the 40s for a high - and then on Thursday we are back to the 70s again, go figure!  Crazy damn Texas weather.

Enjoy your walk later, Damaris, and congrats on your biking last night.  But don't push too much yet, okay?  We all want you to fully recover with no relapses!

PADRunner

Morning all.

Scotty, I went t the river walk once when it was drained. Not a good time to go. It would be great to run it when it's like your photos though.

Cloudy and rainy 50 here today. I'm going to try to do absolutely nothing today.

hog4life

I'm resting today after yesterday's 11.6 miles with 7x1200's.

Damaris, I'm with Scotty, don't overdo it.

Scotty, enjoy the weather.

Pad, enjoy the RD.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning.  Health club for me, then start packing tonight.

From the Internet.

Well I'm going to have to move to San Antonio. It's back to 22F up here :c (Only half joking - we're really thinking about moving out of New England next year! Too expensive for young broke scientists with a kid.)

Heading out for 3 miles in a few minutes. Legs are a little stiff and cranky after 3.9 yesterday morning and lifting yesterday afternoon, hoping they'll shake out after a mile or so.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Scotty: thanks for the tour. Smile

Back to the grind. DW and I managed 21 miles of runs and 10 miles of hiking in Zion. We also got in plenty of relaxing. We come to to the chance of four inches of rain in the next few days and now I have to sandbag the front. Because of the fires there is no vegetation on the hills so guess where all the water and ash are going? Right down our street.  Ugh...

Zelanie

Firefloods down south and droughtfloods up in the NW, polar vortex in the south, and steam chamber in the SE.  Maybe we should all move to San Antonio!

DD was sick all weekend, and I felt kind of crummy after work, so I skipped my run and went to bed at like 8:00.  Hopefully that did the trick!  If all is well later, MLR of 10.

hog4life

Firefloods down south and droughtfloods up in the NW, polar vortex in the south, and steam chamber in the SE.  Maybe we should all move to San Antonio!

DD was sick all weekend, and I felt kind of crummy after work, so I skipped my run and went to bed at like 8:00.  Hopefully that did the trick!  If all is well later, MLR of 10.

I should do this every night, getting old is no fun!  Hope you get your run in.

Jack, seen the pics on FB, it looks really nice out there.

Zelanie

BTW, Mitch, I agree with LRB.  That is one hell of a workout that you just ran.  Congrats!

hog4life

BTW, Mitch, I agree with LRB.  That is one hell of a workout that you just ran.  Congrats!

Thanks, I need to see the Garmin data to really know how fast(or slow) I run them. I looked at the splits on the watch, after a 1 mile WU, I started the 1200's, so at mile 7.75 I was done. The mile splits went something like this, 9:50, 8:38, 8:33, 8:37, 8:55, 8:38, 8:40, 8:28, 10:10. The 1/4 mile recoveries were run in the 9:30-10:30 range, so I'm thinking the interval were 7:50-8:10 ish, I was targeting 8:15. I finished the workout at 9 miles, then did another 2.6 run/walk with the C25K group.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I think today is a normal day for me, though quite busy work-wise.  Then my quartet has a gig tomorrow, chorus practice on Thursday ... the singing goes on and on!!

Scotty -- nice Riverwalk pics!!  I had a conference there a few years back, and the Riverwalk was so nice!!  That was before I was a runner, I think, because I'm pretty sure I didn't "know" you.  But the conference is returning to San Antonio in 2016, so we'll have to meet up!!  I think meeting you is on every Penguin's bucket list!

Docket -- have a good walk tonight!!  DH needs to walk behind you with a wheelbarrow of ice, fanning it towards you with a big palm frond.  You tell him I said so!

PAD -- good luck with your absolutely nothing!!

Hog -- have a good RD!!

Jerryb -- you're like me, you pack at the last minute.  My mother packs at least two weeks before a trip ... how does she have enough clothes for that??

Lauren -- hope your legs shake out!!

Jack -- hope the water stays out!!

Zelanie -- hope you're feeling good now!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

Scotty - I've been to the Riverwalk and it is pretty.  I would think it would be a problem running there in the afternoon though when it is busy and crowded with people.  OTOH, ending at the Maddog sounds like a nice way to end a good hot run.

Damaris - enjoy your walk this evening.  Is your husband still running, or is he still resting his shin splints?

PADRunner - enjoy your do-nothing day.

Mitch - that was a good workout.  On a track or on the road?

Jerry - have fun at the gym.

Lauren - where are you thinking of moving?  After this winter, I can see wanting to go anywhere that doesn't have lake effect snow and noreasters.

Jack - I'm glad you're getting rain, though not if it causes bad flooding.  You managed a lot of running and hiking in your short trip.  Nice.

Z - I hope you managed to stave off whatever hit your daughter.  A good night's sleep can cure a lot of ills.

AFM:  high of 32 today and a little light snow is falling, so I'll probably do a few miles on the TM later.