Beginners and Beyond

Another Week / Another Race / RR / Super Happy (Read 66 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Okay, this will probably be my shortest RR ever.  That's not saying much.  Oh well.

I had a couple of race related goals for this year, but one included qualifying for the 5K championship race that I missed last year while preparing for my first marathon.  Only this time, I want to actually run it.  I also want to lose another 30 pounds, and COMPETE.  I don't know what I'll run by then, but if I qualify I can spend from now until December working on it.  What?!

Anyway, I just ran the Oak Barrel Half last weekend and there was all the back, winter and blah blah blah that led up to it.  I'm just saying that a PR wasn't what I was shooting for.  I'll be in better shape later in the season, but there are only 8 races to qualify in and I've already missed one.  To qualify, you have to place in the top 4 of your AG in one of the qualifying races.  Experiences tells me that it will get harder later in the season, regardless of weight loss and fitness gain.

So, I wasn't running for time at all.  I was scoping the guys in my age group.  It didn't matter how poorly they raced, or how smart they raced.  I had to stay within shouting distance of the third slowest guy in my AG.  So.  Yeah.  My splits look ridiculous.  I don't care.

I took off and followed the 2 guys that I had identified as being in my AG, and assumed that I missed one.  What the hell do I know?  There was obviously one that I wasn't going to catch, and the other was hard to keep up with.  I tried.

I ran the first mile in 7:19.

So, I settle in behind these two and start watching them pull away.  I'm pretty sure that I'm in 3rd, and maybe 4th at worst.

Crap 7:55.  Oh well.  I have one purpose.

Then, this dude comes up behind me and passes.  Who the hell are you, and how old are you?  He appears to be in my age group, but it's hard to tell.  I latched on, and just followed from about 20 feet back.  I was prepared to snipe him if I had to.  Then, I saw his head drop and he made this awful sound.  Then, I saw the t-rex arms.  He was hurting.  He passed me for a reason.  He's doing the same BS I am.  So, I pull up into his hip pocked, and then beside him.  His breathing is worse than mine.

I jogged the course ahead of time.  I knew that the upcoming corner was deceiving.  It looked like you turned the corner and the finish was right there.  It was actually .3 miles away.  So, I got far enough ahead that my view was different than his.  I acted as if I saw the finish and made a half-assed kick.  It kicked my ass, but I figured it would either open up a gap and prevent a snipe at the end, or it might just wear him out.  I just didn't want to give up 4th place that close to the end.  Either way.

8:05 (Yeah it was gettin' bad...lol)

Anyway, he didn't catch me, or even come close.

24:18

28th OA

3rd AG

Good enough.  I'm in, and can focus on my weight loss and training now.  I'm also guaranteed to get that damn jacket at the end of the season.  Now, I just need to get to a time that will look respectable in December against the other guys that are going to qualify before this is over.

It was not a planned race, or a well executed race, but dammit...I've been drinking Natty and celebrating all day.  I'll take it.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

PADRunner

Congratulations on qualifying. Now get to work!. 

tracilynn

Good job! You sniper!   Awesome term

~~~~~~~

Traci

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on qualifying. 28th overall is pretty good too, especially only a week after your HM.

Docket_Rocket

Great job!!!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Congratulations on qualifying, and that's some great motivation going to to training. Smile  That was some fine racing, especially a week after your HM.

LRB

Then, this dude comes up behind me and passes.  Who the hell are you, and how old are you?  He appears to be in my age group, but it's hard to tell.  I latched on, and just followed from about 20 feet back.  I was prepared to snipe him if I had to.  Then, I saw his head drop and he made this awful sound.  Then, I saw the t-rex arms.  He was hurting.  He passed me for a reason.  He's doing the same BS I am.  So, I pull up into his hip pocked, and then beside him.  His breathing is worse than mine.

This is hilarious!

Good stuff man, and compete this year you will!

Robert31320

Team TJ

Nice job, A.  Congrats!

Running for TJ because he can't.

music_girl117

I love the fact that you were able to pretend to see the finish to throw that guy off!  That's some good gamesmanship right there!!  Good work! Smile

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Short race...lots of Drama !!!

I've been drinking Natty and celebrating all day.  

I would consider those two completely different things.

Nice race!

Dave

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

You REALLY want that jacket, don't you? Good stuff, Awood, and enjoy the Natties.

Heck yeah, Awood!

I love your strategic work in this race.  Scoping out the course (and the crowd beforehand) knowing where to make a move, getting in the head of your competitor.  This is the stuff that I love about racing -- we are all in it together, but we're also racing other people, not the clock.

Congrats on qualifying for that championship race and being able to earn the "badass" jacket.

But... dude.  I will send you some good beer to celebrate with next time, Natty is for catching slugs!  Big grin

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Congrats, Awood! I'll look forward to hearing about the championships!

Rondog65

Great race and time!!

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)