Beginners and Beyond

Don't Pants your Poop (Read 164 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I am feeling pretty damn ready for the half next weekend, BUT there is one thing that could ruin it all and that is my stomach/bowels....... whether by just being nervous or something I ate or whatever.

Are there any techniques, any rituals ya'll do before a distance race to ensure that you don't have to stop at a port-a-jon or slow down due to stomach cramps or the urge to puke? I would definitely enjoy tips on how to avoid any sudden bowel movements.....

I used to be pretty regular, then the pregnancy kind of threw that off, and normally if I eat at least 2 salads (spinach and red leaf romaine) a day then that keeps me pretty regular, but sometimes it doesn't which then I am locked up until a long run which breaks things loose... Undecided

Is there anything you might eat, or take to kind of get your bowels to start loosening up the week right before race weekend? Normally I don't care if I do have to make a quick stop BUT I really want to PR at the race coming up, and a bathroom stop would ruin everything. Cry

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I could begin to reduce my fiber intake now..........

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Jess runs for bacon

I use the bathroom about 800 times.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Do you normally stop during your LRs to use the potty due to bowel movements?  If not, I recommend you stick with what you normally do.

Damaris

Lots of fruit and whole grains, and hydrate well without overdoing it.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Normally I don't have to stop during a run, but sometimes if my bowels haven't moved for a couple of days before the run..... that is the day and moments they decide to do so. If I can find a way to make sure I've gone the couple of days before the race, I should be fine but I've just got to figure out how to make sure that happens.

Jay716, thanks.. I am definitely going to drink water like I normally do (5-8 16 oz bottles a day).

PRs

Will run for scenery.

I get up early and drink a large coffee with at least an hour to spare before the start.  Same as my long runs.  Works most of the time.  For a race I cut way back on fiber for 2 days before. Pasta, pasta, pasta.

I've heard of people taking Immodium before a race, but I don't like that idea personally.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Zelanie

Don't eat fruits, veggies, or a heavy meal (heavy = lots of fat, fiber, or alcohol) the night before.  Run a good warmup, with time to get to the bathroom between your WU and your race.  And I do take Immodium before a race, just in case.

Don't eat fruits, veggies, or a heavy meal (heavy = lots of fat, fiber, or alcohol) the night before.  Run a good warmup, with time to get to the bathroom between your WU and your race.  And I do take Immodium before a race, just in case.

I've done this, as well. I've recently read that dehydration may be something to consider based upon Imodium's mechanism of action. To what degree, I don't know, but it's worth noting.

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Hmm.... I reduce my intake of fiber next week, I'll try immodium this Sunday before my 9 miler to see how I handle it, and I will try for at least a 10 minute warm up at least 2 hours before the race, I know the nervousness and excitement will have things moving too, I just hope everything gets done moving before the race.

PRs

This works most of the time for me. No heavy meal the night before, which means I typically have a smallish plate of pasta and plain red sauce, no cheese.  Reduction in food with milk products the day before and especially the night before. The milk thing is not an issue for many people, but it does seem to be for me. Normally not a huge problem, but for races I don't leave it to chance. Wake up 3 to 3.5 hours before the race. Drink diet coke (caffeine) and a half PBJ sandwich.

The 3+ hours usually gives the caffeine enough time to do its magic.

Eat a steamed artichoke or two the night before (with just a little dressing, not hollandaise sauce).  That should get things moving right along.  I speak from experience.

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I've never had artichoke........... what's it taste like?

Eat a steamed artichoke or two the night before (with just a little dressing, not hollandaise sauce).  That should get things moving right along.  I speak from experience.

PRs

RabbitChaser

I wake up 2-2.5 hrs before I plan on leaving for the race and immediately drink a cup of coffee. Usually, nature has taken its course before I leave. I have not had to use the bathroom during a marathon or shorter race yet.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I hope you knocked on wood when saying that Joking

I wake up 2-2.5 hrs before I plan on leaving for the race and immediately drink a cup of coffee. Usually, nature has taken its course before I leave. I have not had to use the bathroom during a marathon or shorter race yet.

PRs