Beginners and Beyond

Frigorific Friday Penguins (Read 29 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Frigorific:  Causing cold; freezing.

BRRR for San Antonio today and this weekend!     Last night at 6 PM it was 75 degrees.  This morning at 6 am it is 45 degrees with a cold rain falling and the wind blowing at about  20 mph.  Per the weather folks, our temps will continue to drop throughout the day and tonite - when all the high school football games are going on - it will be 39 degrees!  I have a 5K race tomorrow morning.  Predicted weather is light rain, a stiff wind, and temp at 9 a.m. start time of around 42 degrees.  High tomorrow of only 59 degrees and on Sunday - on which I have a second 5K to do - a high for the day  of only  52.    That's not cold by some folks' standards, but for we South Texans that is COLD!   Nasty weather this morning.   San Antonio folks overall do not drive well in bad weather, I predict there will be several accidents today, unfortunately.  I got up at 5 a.m. and came in to work early just to avoid rush hour, and avoid the 'idiot drivers' out in all this weather mess.

Should hopefully be an easy work day for me today.   We have a Thanksgiving pot-luck lunch at 11 a.m. and then I am taking off an hour early - 3 PM Texas time - to pick up my packet and pick up a prescription for Gail.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

WAKE UP, PEGUINS! 

on my way to badass

Morning Penguins! Mother Nature is acting crazy. Yesterday was dry and cold, today its wet and 40ish(F). Its an easy 3 for me today.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Morning penguins!  At this time tomorrow, I'll be makingmy way a across the country.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Philliefan33

Good morning!

Scotty -- Alone, temps in the 40º are nice for running.  But add wind or rain, and it's nasty.  Stay warm!

SF -- Enjoy the 3.  In what part of the country do you live?

AFM -- Did an easy 5 yesterday.  I'll do a little swimming at the gym this afternoon, then DH and I are headed to the mountains.

on my way to badass

Philliefan, I am in upstate NY. Correction-according to DH it is about 33F and raining.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  It has been raining for three days now and last night's rains flooded us badly.  Maybe a run, if not, kickboxing.  Right now, there is no way I can leave the house if not by car without getting wet.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Awood: where are you going?

Scotty: that is downright frigid for SA! Zion is in southern Utah.

PF: nice job on the five. I'm glad you are right back at it.

SF: nice miles in the cold.

Docket: floods and 85 degrees. What a mix...

As for me , four easy miles with some strides is on tap for later. I hope the rain stops. Have a good FRIDAY!!

Zelanie

Morning!  Last night's social run went well.  4.4 in 9:18, a little fast for taper but felt good and of course I had good company.

Today I have a meeting at work and then work and then parent-teacher conferences until 8:30.  We also have late conferences Monday and Tuesday evening.  Boo!

It's COLD in Oregon, too!  About 20 out right now, with an expected high of 46.  It looks like it's supposed to be about 35 now at the start of my HM.  I might have to go with long sleeves.  Or buy arm warmers.

From the Internet.

It was 45 degrees with rain this morning so I broke out the shorts! :P Was a good choice, I was a little chilly at first but once I warmed up it was perfect, would have been sweating like crazy in tights. 3.35 miles with a couple of hills thrown in at the end. I despise those hills when I get to them, but I figure learning to attack hills on fatigued legs will probably pay off somewhere down the line. On track for 18ish miles again this week!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Jack- Puyallup, WA

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

It is only 82F here because it's raining.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Jack- Puyallup, WA

Nice! Hopefully you have time to do some fun stuff and not just work. It is a business trip, isn't it?

SheCan

G'morning Penguins!

Scotty--  Is the wind whipping around there also?  I agree 52* IS cold.  Them Northerners, they don't know.

Stone-- at least its warmer.  HOpe your feet stay dry though.

Awood-- I read about you saying you had a 2000 mile trip to drive.  Where the heck are you going anyway?  Please be careful, and I sure hope you have good/safe weather for driving.

Margo-- have fun at the mountains!

Docket -- Glad the rain brought the temps down a little anyway.  Have fun with the kick boxing!

Jack-- enjoy your easy run day!

Zelanie-- Brrrr-- those arm warmers are so great for races I think.  Is your race tomorrow or Sunday?

Lauren-- great job you!  Yeah, if you keep doing those hills, one of these days you won't even notice them any more.  I totally promise you.

I heard the wind blow in last night.  This morning it sounds like a freight train is out there.  Its about 58* and overcast.  Which normally would be perfect running weather if it weren't for the wind.  I have 5 on schedule.  I might go to the gym and TM it.  Everyone has a great Friday!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson