Beginners and Beyond

Boston explosions (Read 319 times)

Mmmmm...beer

So glad to hear everyone is ok, I believe all of our local runners have checked in too.

Hilary, I'm so sorry that you had to experience that, but I know that those people you helped are very glad you were there.

I was planning on running Boston in 2015 after qualifying next year, but now I want to qualify this year, just to show them that they can't stop us.  They will never stop us, ever.  

They attack us like cowards, because that's all they are, and that's the only way they can hurt us.  They know that if they stood up and faced us, they would lose.  

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Dave, same here. October 20, 2013 is now a goal race day for me.

Jess runs for bacon

A third person is dead. Jesus.

paulski66

miscreant

Not to ignore this, which is unspeakably sad, but I'm glad everyone here is ok...

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

@runjerseygirl

I wasn't able to log on to the forums until now.  This is absolutely heartbreaking.  I am so glad to see everyone is okay.

The video of the explosion brought me to tears.  Hilary, I'm so sorry for what you had to witness.  I have no doubt you saved lives today.

Prayers to the entier running community. <3

Do you even run?

DamnSad

RSX

Today we were in Wellesley volunteering, and on the way home heard about it so just tried to find out what we could on friends etc. 1 thing that was really cool were the emails and phone calls etc. to check on us that we weren't expecting. 1 that was especially cool was our 15 year old neighbor my wife tutors. My running club had 20+ runners out today, plus a bunch of volunteers including my brother. I went to what is normally an after party tonight to talk and check on each other. I normally hang out for a little while, but we all stayed longer. 1 had just started going through the finish chute, and others were nearby but folks in the club are fine.

Nevrgivup

I'd be really surprised if some of the victims I saw survive this really. Thank you so much for thinking of me. This really will bring the running community even closer than it already is.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

From the Internet.

Ugh so many emotions. I keep vacillating between sad and angry. I'm not from Boston proper (grew up about 20 min north) but I still think of it as "my" city and the running community has been nothing but welcoming and friendly, so I'm feeling doubly offended. I wish I could *do* something. Will certainly be wearing a race shirt tomorrow.

Hilary - can't even imagine what it was like to be in the thick of things. Thank you for being awesome.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Glad everyone from the forums seem to be ok.  I wish everyone at the event could report in as 'ok' as well.

Just listening to the news coverage talking about the "easiness" of an attack like this, considering the distance, spectators, number of bags, etc. I am thinking after this the days of mega races are going to be over.

As others have mentioned:  Then 'they' have won, and you and your family get to live your lives huddles indoors, 'just in case'.

I will take precautions as in make sure if my family attends to spectate an event like this they are not in a mass of people. Or possibly they are remote. (how much can you really see at a mega event anyway).

But beyond that my sentiment is:

No Fucking Way will this make me hide and cover my head, scared of my shadow.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Hugs to our Boston runners and Hilary!!!! so glad everyone is ok. I'm finally home from my second job and  was so unfocused and worried ever since I heard about the bombs. This is tragic beyond words.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Ms Chenandler Bong

I'm still so angry about this horrific event.

I'm angry that the runners who worked so hard for so long for this moment will have it tarnished now.

I'm angry that the family and friends who were there to support those runners were injured beyond comprehension.

I'm heartbroken to hear about the deaths, especially of a child.

And I really, really furious that this tragedy has my daughter fearing for my safety at my half marathon on Saturday.  The only thing she should ever worry about with my running is if I'm bringing home an extra banana from the finishers chute.

Marathon and ultra marathon runner.  Sour Patch Kid addict.

My mother, who has complained about my traveling to Israel and about my running, shocked me tonight. She's infuriated by what've happened. She ranted about innocent people being targeted while doing something they enjoy.

Then, she offered to pay for me to register for the 2014 Jerusalem Marathon.

Docket_Rocket

That was nice of her.

My dad just told me I should stop doing marathons.  My husband was not happy about my two big marathons (Chicago, MCM) coming up but we'll be there if we can.

My mother, who has complained about my traveling to Israel and about my running, shocked me tonight. She's infuriated by what've happened. She ranted about innocent people being targeted while doing something they enjoy.

Then, she offered to pay for me to register for the 2014 Jerusalem Marathon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

That was nice of her. 

Uncharacteristically so. Our relationship has been cordial, at best.