Beginners and Beyond

Thrasonic Thursday Penguins (Read 26 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Thrasonic:  bragging or boastful

In honor of SheCan who did 24 miles as training for her upcoming 50K and now has some bragging rights.     And for any of our other Penguins who have earned some bragging rights.  Let us know!

Posted Wednesday by Cherie:   I'll probably log it as 21 miles because there were a lot of steep climbs and I ended up walking a lot.  Umm, Cherie, walking or running, a mile is a mile and you've still put 24 miles on your legs....so log it as 24!

AFM:  picking up my packet today after work for my morning 5K on Saturday (I have an evening 5K that day too) and then I will probably do my hill route on the campus of the university where I work, since the packet pickup is at the university.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Apparently, we have a problem this morning.....

If found, please return any missing  B&B Penguins to this location....

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Haha.  Morning!  A walk.  3-4 miles is the goal.  I biked 12.25 miles yesterday.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Nice ride Damaris.

Scotty, happy running this weekend.

I have our C25K group run this evening, but I need to squeeze in some tempo miles. I also have a GI doctor's appointment today, just supposed to be a checkup and go over the last CT I had done back a few weeks ago. I sure hope he doesn't mention surgery again!

Zelanie

Morning!  I had a nice 6er last night, and have 7-8 on tap with the running club for tonight.  The first (and least important) of my spring races is coming up on Saturday, so I'll let you guys know if I have any bragging rights after that.

Cherie- You rock!  I hope you have a great time at your race!

Scotty- Thanks for getting us started.  Have fun on the hills!

D- Glad you're able to get out and go!

Mitch- Good luck at the doc's.

Dad on the run.

Hola Penguins! 6.2 miles lastnight at 10:03m/m. It was my rolling hills run. It's the first time I've ran it without walking so that's progress! A friend from work ran with me as well and that always helps.

6 miles planned tonight with the Fleet Feet group in the cold freaking weather. Mother nature either needs to be cold or be warm I don't like this flip flopping bull shit! She must be PMSing.

I may run the rolling hills again tomorrow, another guy from work is wanting to run them and asked if I wanted to join, I told him it depended on how my legs felt after tonights run. If I do 6 tomorrow that will put me at 83 miles for the month which I think would be an all time monthly high for me.

Mitch - Hope the doc visit goes well and there is no mention of surgery. I signed up for the RS 5k lastnight so can't wait to see you there. I think Bobby and Melanie are coming to cheer me on as well, unfortunetly my parents won't be there as my sister has a volleyball tournament that weekend.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

We are all sandbagged and ready. One storm down and one big one to go. They are saying the next one could bring as much as 4-6" of rain. That is a lot and with the scarred hillsides, mudslides are expected. The neighborhood looks like a race car track because of all the K-rails set up on the streets. News vans and helicopters have already been buzzing the neighborhood so look for me on the news! Wink We will likely have a mandatory evacuation tomorrow so I might take our black lab, Chloe, to school with me. We are ready for the worst but hoping it doesn't come to that. If it isn't raining later I will get in some miles. The big storm isn't expected until 2:00 am or so.

See ya!

hog4life

Hi Pens...

We are all sandbagged and ready. One storm down and one big one to go. They are saying the next one could bring as much as 4-6" of rain. That is a lot and with the scarred hillsides, mudslides are expected. The neighborhood looks like a race car track because of all the K-rails set up on the streets. News vans and helicopters have already been buzzing the neighborhood so look for me on the news! Wink We will likely have a mandatory evacuation tomorrow so I might take our black lab, Chloe, to school with me. We are ready for the worst but hoping it doesn't come to that. If it isn't raining later I will get in some miles. The big storm isn't expected until 2:00 am or so.

See ya!

Jack, saying prayers that you all make it through okay. I'll be thinking of you and your family.

hog4life

Hola Penguins! 6.2 miles lastnight at 10:03m/m. It was my rolling hills run. It's the first time I've ran it without walking so that's progress! A friend from work ran with me as well and that always helps.

6 miles planned tonight with the Fleet Feet group in the cold freaking weather. Mother nature either needs to be cold or be warm I don't like this flip flopping bull shit! She must be PMSing.

I may run the rolling hills again tomorrow, another guy from work is wanting to run them and asked if I wanted to join, I told him it depended on how my legs felt after tonights run. If I do 6 tomorrow that will put me at 83 miles for the month which I think would be an all time monthly high for me.

Mitch - Hope the doc visit goes well and there is no mention of surgery. I signed up for the RS 5k lastnight so can't wait to see you there. I think Bobby and Melanie are coming to cheer me on as well, unfortunetly my parents won't be there as my sister has a volleyball tournament that weekend.

Jimmy, that's great, can't wait to see everyone. Sad I will not get to visit with your mom, dad, and sis though. I registered for the Cotton Row this morning, both runs! I don't know what the hell I was thinking

Docket_Rocket

Good luck, Jack!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Hey Jimmy, one more thing, I'll be able to be there early to get my own packet. I'm on 2nd shift that week. I'll try to meet you by packet pickup, or up on the big steps, and we can do our warm up together.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Well, our quartet gig last night was sort of a comedy of errors.  As a foursome, we screwed up the beginning of a couple of songs, had voice problems, forgot the words, forgot to change places ... it was definitely one of those nights.  But hey, we had a good time, laughed at ourselves, and so the audience did too.

Scotty -- how is your achy body feeling this morning?

Docket -- woo-hoo for the bike ride, and have a good walk!!

hog -- sounds like a busy day!!

Zelanie -- good luck at the race!!

jblack -- yeah, I'm not happy about the return of winter either!

Jack -- good luck, and hope you don't have to build an ark!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

Scotty - enjoy your hills tonight.

Damaris - hope your 3 -4 goes well.  Do you have much residual pain?

Mitch - I hope you get good news at the doctor's. Enjoy your run later.  Nice that you won't have to work nights when you do your next race.

Z - which race are you doing?  Your sig. has a race for the March 15th, but nothing before that.  Good luck. Have fun with the running club.

Jimmy - glutton for punishment, aren't you.  Enjoy your double dose of hills and your group run today.

Jack - I saw a piece on the news last night about the sandbagging and construction going on in Glendora.  You weren't shown, but one of your neighbors was.  Good luck.

Hopesmom - sorry your gig was such a comedy of errors, but it's nice you had fun anyway.

Another cold and windy day here.  Will this winter never end?  Southern Pennsylvania is usually in the 40s by now, instead our high is in the 20s.  The forecast calls for another snow storm on Monday.  I should take a rest day, but may run on the TM just to work off some of my frustration.

Dad on the run.

Mitch - Sounds like a winner! That's crazy doing both runs at the Cotton Row. I plan to PR that race for sure. I'm going to do the Hal 8 week 10k training plan, the advanced one. I'm not sure if I will make every single run in the plan but I'm going to do my best.

Ginny - Glutton yes, glutton for punishment.. nah! Tongue I felt unstoppable yesterday during my run, I felt like Forest Gump and just wanted to keep on running, I'm sure by tomorrow though that running spirit will have left me and I will be cursing everyone and everything each time I start up a hill, lol.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Docket_Rocket

Scotty - enjoy your hills tonight.

Damaris - hope your 3 -4 goes well.  Do you have much residual pain?

Mitch - I hope you get good news at the doctor's. Enjoy your run later.  Nice that you won't have to work nights when you do your next race.

Z - which race are you doing?  Your sig. has a race for the March 15th, but nothing before that.  Good luck. Have fun with the running club.

Jimmy - glutton for punishment, aren't you.  Enjoy your double dose of hills and your group run today.

Jack - I saw a piece on the news last night about the sandbagging and construction going on in Glendora.  You weren't shown, but one of your neighbors was.  Good luck.

Hopesmom - sorry your gig was such a comedy of errors, but it's nice you had fun anyway.

Another cold and windy day here.  Will this winter never end?  Southern Pennsylvania is usually in the 40s by now, instead our high is in the 20s.  The forecast calls for another snow storm on Monday.  I should take a rest day, but may run on the TM just to work off some of my frustration.

No pain, except for what's been caused by the bacterial infection.  But today, I tried to close Trixie's carrier and twisted wrong and now I'm ouch.  Also, the only thing that hurts is the psoas muscle, since they touched and worked out of that side a lot.

Damaris

Fundraising Page