Beginners and Beyond

Do you have names for places on your frequent routes? (Read 118 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

i like how you have a Blessed Bathroom and a Heavenly Restroom

The Eyesore

Goat Hill

Blessed Bathroom

Deadman's Corner

Mother's Beach

Heavenly Restroom

One more Mile

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

A few of mine:

The Horse's Ass Trail - the trail on which I ran into a horse butt..and felt like a horse's ass, lol.

Big Kitty Trail - that big kitty on the trail turned out to be a skunk, which my near-sighted eyes determined when they got close enough to 'Big Kitty"..who apparently did not like that closeness and gave me a good spraying.

Splashdown - Named for the part of the San Antonio Riverwalk I run on, and where I once ran right off it and went INTO the river.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Scotty, I can't help but note that  all these instances could have been avoided with the help of corrective lenses.  May be time to go see that eye doctor. lol Smile

A few of mine:

The Horse's Ass Trail - the trail on which I ran into a horse butt..and felt like a horse's ass, lol.

Big Kitty Trail - that big kitty on the trail turned out to be a skunk, which my near-sighted eyes determined when they got close enough to 'Big Kitty"..who apparently did not like that closeness and gave me a good spraying.

Splashdown - Named for the part of the San Antonio Riverwalk I run on, and where I once ran right off it and went INTO the river.

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

Hip Redux

Scotty, I can't help but note that  all these instances could have been avoided with the help of corrective lenses.  May be time to go see that eye doctor. lol Smile

I made that same observation!  LOL    Scotty, you do more damage to yourself via running in ways I have never seen.  Big grin

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I made that same observation!  LOL    Scotty, you do more damage to yourself via running in ways I have never seen.  Big grin

Actually, I do have glasses.  I wear them when I am driving, watching TV, at the movies, etc.  I don't wear them when I run cuz it just bugs me having them on when I run.  I can see just far enough ahead of me so I don't trip over any roots, rocks, etc., I just can't see distance.

And besides, when I don't wear them when I run...then all the other runners I encounter out there are soooooo beautiful! Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Mostly harmless

Very creative.  I name other racers when racing (red shirt guy, cute butt girl, etc...) but I don't have names for local landmarks.  I gues I don't have enough imagination.  It might be that I'm too busy calculating distances in my head trying to make my run work out to the exact right distance when I get back.  I hate it when I find myself approaching the house and realize that I still have .35 miles to go.  I have a little bit of the OCD in me.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Very creative.  I name other racers when racing (red shirt guy, cute butt girl, etc...) but I don't have names for local landmarks.  I gues I don't have enough imagination.  It might be that I'm too busy calculating distances in my head trying to make my run work out to the exact right distance when I get back.  I hate it when I find myself approaching the house and realize that I still have .35 miles to go.  I have a little bit of the OCD in me.

Don't worry....I have more than once (or twice....or 3 times...) gotten back to my block and been almost to my building and looked at the Garmin and thought "oh shit I'm at 4.85 not 5.0!" and run a block past my apartment building, turned around and came back. My super has been standing outside my building when I've done it too...probably questions my sanity, and rightfully so. I can't end a planned run .1 early though....just can't!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Supersono99

Hamster street- it's a small road with a culdesac on each end. When I first started running I used to run back and forth on this street and felt like a hamster on a wheel. The road is only about a tenth of a mile long.

Creepy's house- dude sits and stares while smoking at 4:30am. He's creepy. I know he's there as I smell the smoke before I see him.

Cop's house- actually there are two of them on my route. I feel safer near there.

Scary dog house- a huge scary dog on a chain that scares the hell out of me every time.

Sadly, I don't know the actual names of many of the streets I run. If I fell and had to call an ambulance, I'd have a hard time telling them what street I'm on without using above description.

LRB

I either run here, there, there or there.  Call me Mr. Dull.  : : shrugs shoulders : :

B-Plus

home, start, finish

#artbydmcbride

Hamster street- it's a small road with a culdesac on each end. When I first started running I used to run back and forth on this street and felt like a hamster on a wheel. The road is only about a tenth of a mile long.

Creepy's house- dude sits and stares while smoking at 4:30am. He's creepy. I know he's there as I smell the smoke before I see him.

Cop's house- actually there are two of them on my route. I feel safer near there.

Scary dog house- a huge scary dog on a chain that scares the hell out of me every time.

Sadly, I don't know the actual names of many of the streets I run. If I fell and had to call an ambulance, I'd have a hard time telling them what street I'm on without using above description.

Hello 911, I've fallen and I can't get up!  Where...um..... on  Hamster street, just past Scary dog house.

Runners run

Supersono99

Hello 911, I've fallen and I can't get up!  Where...um..... on  Hamster street, just past Scary dog house.

Seriously! I better learn the street names. I think runnjng them for 3 years is enough time, lol.

Hip Redux

Seriously! I better learn the street names. I think runnjng them for 3 years is enough time, lol.

It's alright, we've been in this house for 8 years now and I still call streets by things like "You know, the street that had that house on the corner for sale that one time with the lawn ornaments...:"

YAYpril - B-Plus

Just one, but I don't run this route too often. It's on a hilly loop where my running group meets occasionally.

Murder House. There's a guillotine in the front yard and they have caged geese right behind it. I call it the geesotine because it appears to be geese-sized.

Gator eye

I only have a couple, one is called the psycho house. Every time I run by this house there are people screaming at each other at the top of there lungs and they have a big ass pit bull tied to a tree with what looks to be 1 inch chain going up to a spiked collar. Someday I expect to see this house on the news.

Next is Dog alley, it's a farm house and the road runs between the house and the barn, they have 2 cow dogs that have made a hobby out of chasing cars and runners who happen to pass through this section. I now have big sticks planted a 100 yards on each side of dog alley just so I have something to fend them off as I pass through. They are always trying to nip at my ankles.