Beginners and Beyond

Penguins Tumble Into Tuesday! (Read 42 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Some time today I will get a short recovery run in. Also have a training class tonight....ugh.

All are friends of the man who has something to give.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Good morning party penguins.

I've got another 10 mile tempo run tonight.  Fun and challenging Smile

Last night I ordered my first Garmin.

I'm only 3 pounds away from my goal weight for March 24.

Now, if P3 could get feeling better.  This would be an awesome day.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

Awood, congrats again on the weight loss, you're doing great.

7.4 miles done, good run. Smile

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Off to work, then to do a short recovery run followed by strength training.

Gustav, enjoy your recovery run.  Hope the training class is not too boring.

Awood, enjoy the tempo run. Another one?  When was the last one?

D2, enjoy the run.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning  !!!

AW, hope you got the pink one.

Good morning party penguins.

I've got another 10 mile tempo run tonight.  Fun and challenging Smile

Last night I ordered my first Garmin.

I'm only 3 pounds away from my goal weight for March 24.

Now, if P3 could get feeling better.  This would be an awesome day.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Morning!  Off to work, then to do a short recovery run followed by strength training.

Gustav, enjoy your recovery run.  Hope the training class is not too boring.

Awood, enjoy the tempo run. Another one?  When was the last one?

D2, enjoy the run.

Same time last week.  These longer tempo runs are why I tempered my peak mileage.  I was going to set it up with a peak of 50 miles, but then noticed that I had never done a program with 2 quality runs.  Not only does this program have 2 quality runs a week, but the quality runs can be 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 miles.

So, I knocked my peak mileage back down to the 42 mile base I came in with.  I think it was a good decision.  My two quality runs this week are as follows:

Tonight: 2 miles E + 8X(5min T+30sec R) + 2 miles E

Saturday: 2 mile E + 2X(10 min T +2 min R) + 80 min E + 20 min T + 2 miles

That Saturday run could easily end up being 18 miles, and I'm not going to beat myself up if I end up pairing it down a bit.  I know JD intended this program for HM or full marathon.  Being that I'm training for a HM, if Saturday gets cut a little short I'll substitute whatever miles I'm missing with a couple of easy miles on Sunday.  Next week is only .70 of peak mileage, or about 30 miles.  So, that will give me a chance to recover from Saturday's run a bit if I make it through the entire thing.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Black and red :-)

Good Morning  !!!

AW, hope you got the pink one.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning!

Awood hope you love your garmin!

Didn't check in yesterday....it was a SRD and my boyfriend and I laid on his couch all day and watched TV and then I drove back home. Just got back from a 2 mile run. Calves were giving me issues and it was a slow run. I have off my full time job today (we get TWO days off for Presidents Day!), but about to go into my part time job for a little bit. Then I have my first physical therapy appointment this afternoon.

Have a great day!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Tonight: 2 miles E + 8X(5min T+30sec R) + 2 miles E

Saturday: 2 mile E + 2X(10 min T +2 min R) + 80 min E + 20 min T + 2 miles

dude I saw this and had a flashback to college algebra Smile

I knocked out 8.22 this am and I think I am going to pull the trigger on that 50K registration.

I am so not going to be ready to race it, but will be ready to finish it and have a smile on my face and a cold blue beast in my hand Smile

When I got home from my run this am, I noticed the light on in our big room, I knew that my wife was up and on the dreadmill. pretty pumped about that too. Smile

make today great,

T-Rod

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Wore shorts and a t-shirt for my run/walk in the 49 degree weather this morning...and had a great run!  Oh my goodness, am I starting to get used to running in the occasional cold weather days we have? Shocked  Joking   The Diploma Dash is a 5K held on the campus of the university where I work. It is coming up March 2, so I did the route this morning.  At a race, with my photo stops, I usually do a 5K in 33 - 36 minutes.  With no photo stops today, just my run/walk routine, I completed the route in 31:29.  What?!! That is pretty speedy for me.  Since the gym is across the street from the "finish line" I kept on going to the gym and ended up with 3.2 miles in 33:28, averaging 10:28 per mile,, which is pretty quick for this old arthritic dog.  Guess my arthritis med is keeping my body happy, lol.

Gustav, what is your training class for?  Work related, I am assuming.  Hope you can get your recovery run in.

Awood, good luck with the tempo run. Congrats on your weight loss progress!  P3 will get better today.  Scottydog has spoken, so it shall be! Wink  Yeah, I wish it worked like that, lol.

Congrats on the 7.4 miles, Dave.

So, Damaris, a short run for you is, like, anything under 10 miles, right? Big grin  Hope your run and strength training go well.  How is your Dad doing?

Good morning, Jerry!  How is life up in Chicago?  Isn't baseball starting?  Go Cubbies!

and my boyfriend and I laid on his couch all day and watched TV  Uh huh, Kristin, okay, sure, we believe that's all you did all day laying on the couch with your boyfriend, just watched TV...   Wink          Nice to have 2 days off for the holiday from your regular job.  Congrats on getting some miles in, but sorry your calves did not behave.  What do you do as a part-time job?  Yes, I AM nosy, lol. Gail says for you to feel free to tell me to shut up and mind my own damn business. Big grin

Congrats on your run, Tomas, this morning, and good for your DW getting her miles in too.  50K, are you nuts?  Wait, never mind, I already know the answer to that question...we are runners...we're ALL nuts! Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Morning, pens!  RD for me today.  Good thing since I have book club tonight and would have had to run very early or very late.

Gustav- Enjoy the recovery run!  Hope this is the last training class for a while.

Awood- That Saturday run looks like a killer!  Enjoy the new watch, and congrats on the weight loss success!

D2- Glad you had a better run this AM.

D- Hope you have a good recovery run.  I assume summer is back?

Jerry- Hiya!

kristin- Good job getting that run in early!

T-rod- Go for it!

Scotty- Nice run today! Smile

hog4life

Gustav, enjoy the recovery run.

Awood, I hope P3 feels better. You will like the Garmin. That's a tough looking workout.

Tomas, that's what I call diving in head first! 50k? You da man!!

I run 5 at at easy recovery pace this morning. It was a little rough at first, but then became quite nice when things loosened up.

Tomas, that's what I call diving in head first! 50k? You da man!!

I just need to learn to look to see what I am getting into at some point. one of these days I will dive into a pool head first and realize that there isnt water in there Smile

heck it has a 14 hr cut off. McMillian says I should finish 5:52. My sister predicts 7 hours. I am thinking 6:30.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning Penguins!!  Well, I should be getting my broken instrument fixed today, and then I've got a seminar to attend this afternoon.  I've got my packing checklist started!  For Bin -- yes, we're going to Disney World in Orlando.  It's been a decade since I've been there, and DH has never been.  And it's been probably 20 years since I've been to Epcot, so that will be awesome too!  Then we'll spend a couple of days at Universal Studios ... basically we're going to play for the whole week!!

So I have to share a little story with y'all:  Remember I got sidelined with runner's knee after Peachtree back in July?  Well, I spent a couple of months trying to rehab it on my own, finally went to the doc in October, and he gave me anti-inflammatories and exercises, and that pretty much kicked the problem.  I had two months of anti-inflammatories and took them all.  After the pills ran out, I noticed both of my knees were achy, pretty much constantly.  I noticed my elbows and finger joints were also painful, and I started wondering about arthritis, although it doesn't really run in my family, and I am only 40 after all.  It was never terribly bad, just enough to notice and to make me avoid climbing stairs.  Either exercising or not didn't make much difference, although I have a yoga class for knee therapy that would usually make the next day less painful.

Anyway, I've been concentrating on natural anti-inflammatories, bumping up my consumption of chia seeds and green tea, and I also take a berberine extract daily.  While poking around the internet for other anti-inflammatory foods, I came across an unproven, undocumented possible link between aspartame and joint pain.  Now I don't drink diet soda at all, and my aspartame consumption consisted of one packet in my morning coffee and one in my afternoon tea.  Not exactly a huge dose.  But it's easy to give up, and I am a scientist after all, so I started using a little real sugar in my coffee and honey in my tea.  I've been off aspartame for a week now, and my knees are pain-free.  My elbows and fingers still hurt a little, but less than before.  I'll be interested to see if that pain fades completely too.

Now to make the experiment definitive, of course, I have to use aspartame again and see if it causes my joint pain to come back.  But I don't really have time to spend being in pain, I have too much going on, so I'm probably going to skip that step.  And basically I said all that to say this:  I think that after our Florida vacation, I will be mentally and physically ready to start running again.  Woo-hoo!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.