Beginners and Beyond

Woooohooo! I'm running again (Read 105 times)

Love the Half

I received the clearance from my ortho on Thursday to resume running.  I changed clothes and headed out the door on Friday for a planned easy 4 miles.  Holy shit.  It was far from easy.  Within half a mile, my lungs were screaming at me and my legs felt like jelly the whole time.  I don't think I ever felt "good" but I did finish.  I put in 5 miles today and it was still tough but it felt better than Friday and, unlike Friday, my heart rate was normal this time rather than through the roof.  Feels wonderful to be back out there.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great news!  And yes, I remember how hard it was to restart post surgery but it comes back quickly.

Damaris

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I've never experienced this before.  Last winter I took 4 months off (zero cardio) and then ran 3 miles non-stop without any issues.  Another time before that I took almost a month off and then ran a 50 miler.  I'm not a super human, so I wonder why my experience is different.

Glad to hear you're running again!

Running is dumb.

LRB

Feels wonderful to be back out there.

I believe it.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Does your ortho know that's what you had in mind when he cleared you for running?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Welcome back, LtH.

GinnyinPA

Any aches in the sfx?  Be careful. I know how good it feels to be cleared to run, but I also have experienced setbacks from doing too much too soon on healing bones.

delicate flower

Welcome back to the wonderful world of jogging, LtH!  How'd the foot feel?

My first outdoor "run" after knee surgery was 1.5 miles at 12:00 pace, and it exhausted me.

<3

Love the Half

Foot felt fine.  My chronic hamstring problem has, of course, never gone away.  After three years of stretching and rolling and physical therapy and suffering, I'm finally going for an MRI later this month to see what's up with it.  Even six weeks off with this stress fracture didn't help.  If anything, it got worse with time off.  As for how much I should be doing, he said to start off with about half of my normal mileage.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

obiebyke

Congrats LTH!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

onemile

I've never experienced this before.  Last winter I took 4 months off (zero cardio) and then ran 3 miles non-stop without any issues.  Another time before that I took almost a month off and then ran a 50 miler.  I'm not a super human, so I wonder why my experience is different.

Glad to hear you're running again!

+1. I also have taken 3 months off completely and easy runs still felt easy. Faster stuff took longer to get back to normal though.

Feels good to be running again, nonetheless!

happylily

Glad to hear you got the clearance. It's a good thing it's now, in the spring, rather than later this summer when the temperature makes it doubly hard to start over. How long were you on the bench for?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Great news LTH.  Just take it easy if you can.  Six weeks is not too long and your old body probably appreciated the break.  FWIW I had 5 months off due to the hamstring surgery.  Took my first run on April fools day (fitting).  A simple 3 mile run at what was my easy/moderate pace had my HR near 190 although I was not breathing really hard and my legs were not rubber.  I was sore for a few days though.

One thing that you may want to consider.  The prolonged rest for me allowed some tendons to get stiff, primarily the Plantar.  I now have 11 days off with heel pain that I attribute to PF and tight calves.  Stay tuned into your joints and muscles as you ease back in, every other day runs for a week or so.  Don't jump back into a 6 day schedule just yet.

Glad to hear your getting an MRI on your piriformis.  That should illuminate your backside issues.  After my surgery and extended break, I have virtually no butt pain at all.  Keep us posted.

meaghansketch

Great news, LtH!  Glad you are able to get back to it.  Hope your return to form is quick-- I was out for 4 weeks earlier this year with a NRR injury so I just went through a bit of that myself.  It can be shocking to go from being able to do 20 miles without a problem to feeling winded after only a couple, but it doesn't take long for it to all come back.

Congrats & good luck!

Dave