Beginners and Beyond

Need tips on encouraging my wife (Read 136 times)

So two weeks ago my wife ran for the first time since high school. She didn't hate it. In fact, she's been running about twice a week on the days she doesn't want to do her workout dvd's. I can't describe to you how thrilled I am to see her running. I would love for this to turn into something that we can do together as a family. Anyway, my question:

She says she has no end game.  I want to encourage her without pushing her too much. I asked her about doing a C25K and she says that once she stops running, she just wants to be done. So, run/walk isn't an option, apparently. I told her to set a time goal (20 minutes, then 25, etc....) Currently, she's having no problem running 1 mile straight in under 12 minutes, with a baby in a jogging stroller. 

I think she wants to like running. She just doesn't really know what to do. Any ideas on how to motivate a newbie who doesn't necessarily have any racing aspirations? 

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

Hip Redux

My suggestion is to be proud and happy with what she does - not necessarily push her in a direction you think she wants to go.   Instead of coming off as  "This is great!" it can sound like or be taken as "What you are doing isn't enough, you should be doing this also."

Perhaps suggest some things you can do together with her capabilities now - run in a new place or trail or whatever, but not because you want her to do it, but because you want to participate with her.

Thanks Oski. I'm definitely proud. And impressed. Perhaps I just need to let this all flesh itself out. I suppose I can't want this for her. If it's something she wants to do, she'll do it. I'll just have to be supportive in whatever level of running she chooses to undertake.

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

Hip Redux

Thanks Oski. I'm definitely proud. And impressed. Perhaps I just need to let this all flesh itself out. I suppose I can't want this for her. If it's something she wants to do, she'll do it. I'll just have to be supportive in whatever level of running she chooses to undertake.

I might also suggest taking her shopping for running stuff.   Big grin  That always goes over well in my house.  lol

ooooooo, the swag angle. I like it. Smile

I might also suggest taking her shopping for running stuff.   Big grin  That always goes over well in my house.  lol

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

+1

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

My GF of 8 years is occasionally interested in running and I will tell you that this is an area of our relationship that we do not have figured out.  We started out trying a coach-student kind of relationship, which didn't go well because the pressure I was putting on her was too much.  I also tried just running with her silently...that's our best setup so far.  If she has a question about something, I'll give her a brief answer but I've made an effort not to OFFER any advice...it's never well received.  I've also found that she considers me to be a crutch for her...last 5k we ran, I went out onto the course thinking I could encourage her and run her in...she was pissed off at me for it.  We sorted out that my appearance on the course sapped her of the mental toughness she was working through at the end of the race...she needed to do it herself.  I guess my advice is "tread lightly" and let her come to you for any questions she has.

**Ask me about streaking**

Buelligan

Mention that her butt is getting kinda big.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Tell her each time she stops your are going to slap her on the ass.

It may not work but think of all of the pleasure you'll derive.

You people have issues 

Great advice. What I know about running (as limited as that is) was based on me figuring it out for myself. I need to let her do the same. I'm trying to set her up for success, but maybe I just need to stay out of it. I don't want to push her away from it.

My GF of 8 years is occasionally interested in running and I will tell you that this is an area of our relationship that we do not have figured out.  We started out trying a coach-student kind of relationship, which didn't go well because the pressure I was putting on her was too much.  I also tried just running with her silently...that's our best setup so far.  If she has a question about something, I'll give her a brief answer but I've made an effort not to OFFER any advice...it's never well received.  I've also found that she considers me to be a crutch for her...last 5k we ran, I went out onto the course thinking I could encourage her and run her in...she was pissed off at me for it.  We sorted out that my appearance on the course sapped her of the mental toughness she was working through at the end of the race...she needed to do it herself.  I guess my advice is "tread lightly" and let her come to you for any questions she has.

Yet another reason she and I need to run TOGETHER. Good call.

Tell her each time she stops your are going to slap her on the ass.

It may not work but think of all of the pleasure you'll derive.

#artbydmcbride

Running group. The camraderie, different paces, different goals, all will keep her looking forward to running.

Runners run

I'm assuming you're running with the baby in the jogger part of the time.

Has she thought about running on trails? It's a more relaxing environment and gets away from some of the impulse to time things on roads.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                            Docket_Rocket

I tried convincing my husband for 8 years to get back into running without success.  Then, one day he just bought a book, a pair of shoes, and started.  I now run 3 times a week with him.  It's his favorite part of the day (or so he says, LOL).  Nothing I said or did or suggested helped until he wanted to do it himself.  Two months ago, I tried getting him into 5Ks and he said no.  Today, he is signed up for three half marathons without me asking.  You never know when or if your wife will ever do more than she is currently doing.

I don't think anything you say or do will encourage her (except your example).  She seems to want to try it (probably since she sees you loving it so she wonders why).  Be happy with what she is doing and maybe ask if she wants you to come along from time to time.  I would mention a 5K here and there (like a holiday one or something) to see if she would be interested, but wouldn't push.  I'm sure if she wants to race or add distance, she will be encouraged.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

That's correct.

There's a local rail trail that I frequent, but it's not quite as serene as I'd like. It also has mile markers all over the place. I think right now she's running so she can check off that she exercised for the day. Hopefully at some point she'll be able to run simply for the freedom it brings. She deserves/needs that time to decompress. Running through a beautiful park is a great way to do that.

I'm assuming you're running with the baby in the jogger part of the time.

Has she thought about running on trails? It's a more relaxing environment and gets away from some of the impulse to time things on roads.