Beginners and Beyond

Old Places Familiar Faces (Read 115 times)

LRB

I went out for a run today, on my old 6 mile route.  This is a route I created last winter, when I increased my daily run from the previous years length of 5 miles.

Most runners have a favorite route, and this is one of mine.  It is a part of a 4 mile square near my work I began running three years ago.  I extended it to 5 miles my second year of running.  Then 6 this past January, which I ran for three months before extending it to 7 miles in the spring, where it eventually stayed.

The 6 mile option is unique in that I make my first turn on a residential street, as opposed to commercial streets of the other routes.

I was giddy because today's run marked the longest since my return to the pavement three weeks ago, and it began as it always does, me dodging seemingly one hundreds cars across four driveways at the high school shortly down the street from the start.

Once free of that madness, the streets are pretty much normal (as city runs go).  I made my way down 2 miles and about 100 feet before I made the first turn, "Bike lady" came cruising out from the left as she had so many times in the past.  Sometimes we cross paths, sometimes we do not.

There are times when I will run my route in the opposing direction, and she once rang her bell as she approached me from behind, nearly sending me to the moon in the process it startled me so!  She apologized profusely, but I assured her there was really no good way to alert a runner you are coming.  She did not see me today.

On I went and there was that same gigantic Rottweiler who despite my sincerest efforts, manages to scare the living crap out of me every time!  Man, I seriously dislike that dog.

There was the utility truck driver who seemingly always has his back turned whenever I glide by.  So much so that he likely would swear on a stack of bibles that I have never run on his street.  Yet I have run past him probably three dozen times!

A little bit past there was the white and grey Ford Flex, which is usually warming up in the driveway but was not running today.  Perhaps its owner was off from work.

As I made way across the one and a half mile stretch of houses in relative silence, I had a great sense of familiarity.  I made my next turn and now heading back from where I came, found myself once again in the noise and hustle and bustle of daily life.  Along the way, I saw some of the same vehicles I had in the past, such as the bumble bee colored Dodge Ram truck, which I also see sometimes when I run in the evening, going the opposite way.

With all the familiar sights and sounds, I thought of something my dentist once said.  Of course it came after a five minute diatribe about how running is bad for your knees, but he went on to say two things that are true; runners are disciplined and habitual.

Indeed, when we are not drinking or eating a particular thing, we will not drink or eat it.  If the schedule says run on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, that is what we do.  Faithfully.  Whether it is Tuesday and Thursday, or the first Sunday of every month, you will likely see us near the same intersection, about the same time, on the same day.

What struck me this morning however is that runners are no different than everyday people, who like us, you will likely see near the same intersection, about the same time, on the same day.  The only thing that separates us is that they are usually doing what they have to do, while we are doing what we want to do, if only so briefly.  For at some point, we too will join the masses, doing what we have to do.

It was good to be back on my 6 mile route again, seeing familiar things, hearing familiar sounds, running amongst the same people I have so many times before.  Even if they were completely unaware, that I was ever there.

Pinktastic

A lovely tribute to your "old faithful" route that's been patiently waiting for you to come back to it.   :-)

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Mmmmm...beer

It really is amazing the details you pick up on when you run the same route on a regular basis.  Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

StepbyStep-SH

Smile

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

#artbydmcbride

It is like truly being at home.  Cool

Runners run

Good post, Rick.

Routine and familiarity are comforting.

meaghansketch

Smile

What a wonderful sentiment.

Rungry!

Nicely written post LRB. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Jen

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

You run with your eyes open?

Docket_Rocket

Thanks for sharing.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

You run with your eyes open?

When entering an intersection, yes.  Otherwise, I would be re-fried beans by now.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Great write, Rick!  That read like a Reader's Digest short! Wink

Sigh......alas I am having no such experiences.  Sad

But I'm happy for you!!  Congrats!!! Smile

Randy

happylily

I loved this. Thank you. Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

RSX

This reads just like a column in RW (alright an interesting one there). You write great.

My first 6 mile route, I ran at 19 in my hometown. I moved back to the area (1 town away) 2 years ago, and my street is at the 1.5 mile point of that route. I love that I can still do it whenever I want without a car to get there.

Antipodean

Curious how running can be strangely intimate and totally impersonal at the same time. Thanks for sharing.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary