Beginners and Beyond

Two Years Ago Today (Read 136 times)

Zelanie

Two years ago today, I went out for my first run.  I had on my old Adidas shoes that I had dug out of the back of the closet, khaki slacks (didn't have any athletic pants that fit), and a t-shirt.  I had downloaded the C25K app for my phone, which started with one minute of running and 90 seconds of walking.  Only my headphones kept bouncing out of my ear.  Plus my shoes kept coming untied.  I just kept hoping that nobody was looking at me!

I ran my one-minute intervals, and although I got it done, felt like I was about to die at the end of each minute.  I couldn't believe how long it seemed!  Then I was tired that evening and sore for the next two days (although I still got out there and did it again).

My original intention was just to get to the point where I could run 3 miles, 3 times a week, comfortably.  But something happened along the way.  I fell in love with running.  I blame you guys. Smile  I was googling C25K blogs because I really wanted to see if people who felt like I did at the start were really able to complete the program and run for 30 minutes by the end.  I wasn't sure I could do it.

I found some of those, and PhotogTom's friendly C25K thread, but I also found a RWOL thread where LTH and I don't know who else were arguing about C25K, and how it's not enough exercise to make you fit or make you lose weight.  Since I had been getting *less* exercise overall since starting C25K (I was too tired and sore to do all the walking I had been doing before), that made sense to me, and I appreciated the honestly.  And seriously, who has arguments like that over running?  I liked it!   Add the encouragement of everybody in Tom's thread, and it was the perfect combo for me.

So anyways, I blame you guys for the hobby that this has grown into for me.  Since that day two years ago, I've run 2,368.1 miles.  Maybe a few more because I didn't move my entire C25K log over here.  Not bad for a beginner!  I've run 2 HMs, and a handful of shorter races.  I'm training for my 3rd HM, and if all goes well, my first full in the fall.

It's been a good 2 years so far!  Looking forward to more great years ahead!

GinnyinPA

You have truly come a long way.  First the weight loss, then the dedication to running, then maintaining both.  Congratulations.

I remember the early days when I started doing C25k and I was sure I'd never be a runner but why not try the program out and see if I could stick with it that long?  For me, the big jump wasn't the one minute runs, but jumping from 8 to 20 minutes.  Insane!  And yet, we did it.

happylily

Not bad for a beginner!  I've run 2 HMs, and a handful of shorter races.  I'm training for my 3rd HM, and if all goes well, my first full in the fall.

Zelanie, not only have you done 2 HMs already, but you have done 2 GREAT HMs! Two years isn't that long of a time for what you have already accomplished, so you must have some natural talent in you. All these years, there was a runner hiding inside of you, waiting to escape and run away.  And now, look at her go! Congratulations on your running anniversary!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Just B.S.

You've come a long way baby!!! and accomplished so much.

Huge congrats to you Zel! and many more happy  years of running!!

Will run for scenery.

It's so satisfying to see progress like that.  When people are just starting to run, it's so hard to realize that starting to run is very, very hard.  And it doesn't feel good, either.    Those other people, runners, make it look so easy!

I didn't do C25K, but just kinda started, after a whole lot of walking.  Sometimes it was thrilling to hit a new distance, but the biggest eye-opener was realizing I could go out for a run and just enjoy it the whole way - getting out the door, warming up the first mile, cruising at respectable (for me) pace, and feeling good afterwards.   I never suspected that running was enjoyable!

And yeah, the wacky folks on the interwebz have been a huge help.  Some for advice, some for support, and some for just being who they are.

wise drunk man once said : Ah luv you guys. 

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Mmmmm...beer

You've done a great job and have definitely come a long way, you should be proud.  I hope you have many years and miles ahead of you!! Big grin

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Nevrgivup

Congrats on the milestone. You are doing awesome. Good luck with your next race.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Hip Redux

Awesome Smile  Keep up the good work, Zel!

obiebyke

This was so great to read, Z! I had no idea you've only been running for 2 years. You seem like an old timer with all your 14 mile checkins. Congrats!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Great story Zel, keep up the great work!

All these years, there was a runner hiding inside of you, waiting to escape and run away. 

I like this. It's funny for those of us who started (much) later in life...where was that runner hiding all that time? What took it so long?

Dave

LRB

Since that day two years ago, I've run 2,368.1 miles.  Maybe a few more because I didn't move my entire C25K log over here.  Not bad for a beginner!  I've run 2 HMs, and a handful of shorter races.  I'm training for my 3rd HM, and if all goes well, my first full in the fall.

And you look awesome! 

LRB

I like this. It's funny for those of us who started (much) later in life...where was that runner hiding all that time? What took it so long?

I know right!  Guess that old idiom better late than never holds true where running is concerned.  But one cannot help but wonder what may have been....

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Two years already - Wow!

And you've done really great. 1:55:02 HM - that's awesome.

Way to stick with it.

BTW, it wasn't really my thread (I am PhotogTom, just changed my name) - I just carried it on when others failed to do so. For others, we had a weekly C25K thread on RWOL back before the spam infection. And during the spam infection, I guess.

Anyway, a lot of newcomers joined the thread, many stayed with it, and many didn't.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

SheCan

It seems amazing to me that you've only been running for 2 years.  You know that look up to you, and think you're such a focused person.  You make me want to do better.  I feel lucky to have gotten to know you over the last few years.

I'd tell you good luck for your upcoming races, but you don't rely on luck. You put in the hard work necessary and I know you'll do well.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Antipodean

I agree with those who find it hard to believe you've only being doing this 2 years. You've accomplished so much. And, I had always thought you were really young (20-something) but found out recently you have a teenage daughter! You're probably still much younger than me, but once there's family, work as well as running, it all requires much more focus. Good on you!!!

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary