Beginners and Beyond

Windy Wednesday Penguins! (Read 26 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Looks like cooler temps and wind are start\ing to make their presence felt. I ran 9 yesterday with a 15 mph wind - 34 degrees with feels like of 24.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Good morning!  5 miles and 50 pushups on tap tonight.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

PADRunner

Good Morning!

3 easy this morning done. Miles below freezing count double right?

hog4life

Good morning! It's 26 here in Alabama, too bad I'm working. I've taken 3 RD's in a row, foot is feeling better so I may just take another.

obiebyke

Mornin'! Gustav, that's a hard run there. Me, I'm planning on 4 after work, if I can keep from taking a nap instead. Wink

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

It is a nice and cool 89 here today! Later tonight I have 10 miles with 4x1200 @ 6:30. We'll see how long I can hold that pace.

Hi everyone.  Have a good day.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

BRRRR!  The 'cold' front has arrived in San Antonio.   40 degrees this morning when I woke up.  I went to the UTSA campus for a morning run - started at 6:15 a.m.    40 degrees starting out, with a wind chill of 38.  I wore my shorts, a base layer long-sleeved shirt, and one of my short-sleeved running shirts as my top layer.  Also wore my gloves.  Ended up with 3.8 miles.  My second mile, the DJ on the radio station I was listening to announced that the temp had actually gone DOWN, it was no longer 40, it was now 37, with a wind chill of 35. WHAT???  Oh well, I just kept on moving and I was fine. Quite an invigorating little outing.     Our 'high' today is going to be only 58.   But by Thursday we are supposed to be back into the 60s.  And our high for Sunday will be 80!    So pity all the folks doing the San Antonio Rock n Roll Half and Marathon that day here, it is going to be warm on Sunday!   Cold does not last very long around here, thank goodness.

I ran 9 yesterday with a 15 mph wind - 34 degrees.  MINUS 34 degrees!  Shocked Dang, Gustav, you must've been a walking icicle by the time you were finished!  Wink

Do you do the miles first, Awood, or the pushups first?  Or maybe you could do 10 pushups after every mile, since you're doing 5 miles, that would work out very nicely. Joking   Good luck!

Miles below freezing do count double, PAD..and if you're a senior citizen like me, they count triple!  Cuz, you know, we get the AARP bonus thingy.   Big grin

Glad the foot is feeling better, Mitch.  I wouldn't run on that puppy till it's 100 percent..don't risk a relapse.

Good luck with your 4 after work, obiebyke.    As for nap, just do what I do....2 miles...stop for a short nap of about 20 minutes or so....2 more miles.    Big grin

I want 89 again here, Jack!  I'm jealous of your temp.  I hate cold weather!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Nothing for me today but preparation for trial tomorrow and I'll spend all day today.  Sigh.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

Windy and cold here also.  Last night I wimped out and ran on the treadmill, and will probably do the same tonight.  I know that by January I will be out running in the 25º weather, but it is just too quick of a change for me this week.  We are forecast to have a high of 60º on Saturday -- that would be just about perfect weather for me to race.

I will probably do a few miles with some fartleks tonight, then take two RD before my HM.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Obiebyke - you had asked what the winter running challenge is a few days back - it's a "game" to help encourage running during the winter. It uses time, temperature, and weather - rain, snow, etc. I think it's on both RWOL and RA. I think it starts in December.

Jack - I totally understand your training fatigue. I did back to back 5k plans, and while it isn't as taxing as a marathon plan, I am glad it's over. I do like doing all the parts of a plan - intervals, tempos, LT, etc. - but sometimes I don't want to be tied to a plan and just run.

Tracilynn - How long have you had the shin splints now? Do you think maybe just stopping everything for a while, say a month, and just let everything settle out and heal might help? I hate to see you going thru such a struggle like this. That is an outrageous cost for PT. The whole health insurance thing is a mess. I don't think the cost of insurance is the issue - it's the cost of the medical services. If you take your car for a brake job the price is on the wall. If you go for PT what you pay is different than what I pay,etc. If you ask for the price of a medical service you are told "we have to see what your insurance covers". Sounds discriminatory to me. When I first started running I was doing a lot of the shin splint routine because I didn't want to get them. Something started to hurt in my feet and the podiatrist told me I was doing to much - I was basically walking on my heels and toes for a good part of the day. My thinking was if a set of 15 is good than multiple sets of 50 would be better - it turns out I was over doing it.

Docket_Rocket

Traci, FWIW, hubby still feels some shin splint pain, but with the brace and some icing post run, he has been able to continue training and the pain never gets bad.  Hope you can find a way to make it work.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Scotty - Not an icicle, just a penguin! I need to watch my use of he hyphen!

I ran 9 yesterday with a 15 mph wind - 34 degrees.  MINUS 34 degrees!  Shocked Dang, Gustav, you must've been a walking icicle by the time you were finished!  Wink"

Awood - miles and pushups - sounds like cross training!

PADRunner - cold miles are supposed to be easier - remember how hard they were when it was summer?

Hog - hope the foot heals up for good

Damaris - have to remember that work pays the bills!

Phillie - running outside wasn't too bad yesterday - I considered it a "conditioning run" for what is yet to come!

Zelanie

Morning, pens!  DD has her induction into the National Honor Society tonight. Smile  So that's a good reason to take a RD, I think!

Awood- I guess Tacoma is about 45 minutes away from where I'll be, and on a day that's supposed to be about family, I don't think I should be driving away from them to race.  Especially 4 days after my half!  But I looked up the race, it sounds huge for a 5K!

Gustav- Nice run!

PAD- I'd say so!

Mitch- Glad the foot is feeling better!

obie- Get those miles in!

Jack- I hope you have a great run later.  Maybe your legs will surprise you.

Scotty- I'd take that kind of "cold"!

D- Hope the day goes quickly.

Margo- Good luck this weekend!

Traci- I feel for you!  I hope you are able to figure something out!

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Penguins!!  My bath and early bedtime was very nice last night, but I'm still feeling off today.  Mostly it's that the lymph nodes in my neck are really tender, so I suspect I'm fighting off a cold.  I'm still going to try to make it to quartet practice tonight, since we have a gig on Sunday, but I'm going to focus on chugging down all the water in the building today.

Gustav -- winter showed up here too.  I should've grabbed a hat this morning!!

Awood -- have a good 5 and pushups!!

PAD -- I think below freezing miles count triple!!

Hog -- glad your foot is feeling better!!

obie -- hope you make it out for a run!!

Jack -- wow, 89??  Can you ship the rest of us some heat?  Five degrees is all we need, I think!

Scotty -- woo-hoo for your invigorating run!!

Docket -- sounds like a boring day.  There should be wine later!!

Phillie -- have fun with the fartleks!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.