Beginners and Beyond

Question For The Men (Read 178 times)

lewjeffrey

I have a "friend"* who is also a runner and the same age as me.  He is considering getting a vasectomy, but isn't sure about the recovery time and how that will effect his running.  Has anyone here had the procedure and how long did it take you to get back to 100 percent?

I have a "friend"* who is also a runner and the same age as me.  He is considering getting a vasectomy, but isn't sure about the recovery time and how that will effect his running.  Has anyone here had the procedure and how long did it take you to get back to 100 percent?

In one very important way the outcome of a vasectomy should be never getting you back to 100%.

I can't speak from personal experience but a couple friends of mine were back to running 100% in a week. Took a few days off completely.

RSX

I ran home after my procedure. Actually my doctor thought it would be a week. It was more like 2 in my case. If it can be done in warmer weather I highly recommend it as I needed an extra layer there for any time outdoors before I was healed.

rainmakerrc

About a week or so.  If age makes a difference, I'm 36.  I recently had the procedure done on the Tuesday afternoon before Thanksgiving. I rested at home and kept walking around to a bare minimum the rest of Tuesday and all of Wednesday.  I walked around the house a little more on Thanksgiving to cook, and was able to walk around a bit more for shopping on Friday, though I did feel some pressure down there.  I took Wednesday through Saturday off from running and did a 5K recovery run on the TM on Sunday night.  Again, there was some pressure down there, but it was only mildly uncomfortable, and I was able to finish the run just fine.  I did another treadmill run the next morning and tried things outside on Tuesday.  The slight pressure in the area was gone within that first week back running (48.6 mi if you include that first Sunday test run).  I started a 12 week Hansons plan the following week and have had no complications relating to the surgery.

RSX

I had mine done in 2001 so I'm sure things have improved. I definitely wasn't ready in a week. I wasn't training right then so took the extra week to be sure.

LRB

I am still a danger to myself and society.

Big Machine Gun animated emoticon

Hip Redux

This made me laugh out loud!

LRB

This made me laugh out loud!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Didn't a guy murder his doctor last week for a botched vasectomy?

Love the Half

Winner.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

This thread turns me on. Must be representative of my love/hate relationship with men.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

RSX

This thread turns me on. Must be representative of my love/hate relationship with men.

Now guys will be sending you before and after pictures

happylily

Eeek! Please, no!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

LOL.

Oops, sorry, it said MEN.  I shouldn't be here.  I think.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

We are not talking about circumcisions!  Oops.  Yeah, I went there.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page