Beginners and Beyond

Why do so many runners frown upon the TM? (Read 237 times)

cmb4314

Agreed.  For me, running a 6 minute mile on the treadmill requires nothing more than my ability to pick my feet up and put them down to the speed of the belt.  Whereas running the same speed outside requires me to actually propel myself forward with each foot drop and thus, is more difficult, to me.  Someone else may disagree with that.

Of course we all are talking about our own experiences, so while I have found it easier (easier is a relative term) to run a given pace on the treadmill as opposed to outside, someone else may find the exact opposite, or something entirely different.

Ultimately for me, I prefer to do speed work outside for one reason; it has proven to be most reliable when predicting race day performances.

Treadmills are interesting, because instead of propelling oneself forward the same way as outside, you are racing to get your leg in place in time to keep your center of mass balanced while the ground is moving out from under you.  Realistically, you still have to have some forward propulsion unless you can jump fast enough to only have instantaneous contact with the belt (which we as people can't do), but it is definitely a different physics problem than running on the road.

I always wonder that if for someone like me, for whom leg speed is an issue, this is what makes treadmill running feel harder than outside.  My foot is being actively pushed behind me, and I have trouble moving it back up in time to be properly positioned for the next step.  If I run by myself, I don't allow my foot to go back quite as far.  Could also be why I can usually hit tempo paces better than easy paces - my form is better when I'm going faster, and the TM alters it less.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

aponi

never runs the tangents

I find that I just stare at the little numbers counting down the seconds until I'm finished. It just isn't fun to me. Running in the freezing cold is also not fun. Today after work I'm going to run around and around an indoor track which is also not fun.

in conclusion, I am not having run right now

how long until spring

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

Weezer88

I see it as a necessary evil - especially this week since the temps have dropped considerably.  My last 3 runs have been on my TM in the basement.  It is mind-numbingly boring as I have nothing to do but stare at the wall and listening to music or watching TV only alleviates the boredom for so long..  I much prefer to run outside - as I will be doing tomorrow - even with snow on the ground.

I AM WEEZER.

delicate flower

I find that I just stare at the little numbers counting down the seconds until I'm finished. It just isn't fun to me. Running in the freezing cold is also not fun. Today after work I'm going to run around and around an indoor track which is also not fun.

in conclusion, I am not having run right now

how long until spring

LOL...love this post.

<3

Treadmills are interesting, because instead of propelling oneself forward the same way as outside, you are racing to get your leg in place in time to keep your center of mass balanced while the ground is moving out from under you.  Realistically, you still have to have some forward propulsion unless you can jump fast enough to only have instantaneous contact with the belt (which we as people can't do), but it is definitely a different physics problem than running on the road.

I wonder about this. I'm no physicist but it's all about relative velocity. It's counter intuitive, I guess, but the treadmill isn't doing any of the work for you. Your speed relative to the surface is the same for both and also the work required should be the same, the main difference is that there probably isn't any wind resistence on the treadmill which would make it slightly easier unless you have a decent fan blowing on you. I'm ignoring miscalibrations. To a lessor degree there isn't any elevation or speed variation either, but you can simulate that somewhat by playing with the controls.  If you are not fast enough to center your balance, seems like you are going to fall off the back if not corrected. The treadmill is going to want you to run at a constant speed, whereas outside you would simply slow down.

Sorry for the off topic.

Run Like a Mother

I just got a used (and free) treadmill from a family member and after my husband and son hauled it up two flights of stairs so that I could have it in a spare bedroom with windows instead of the dank, dark basement, I had better use it!

I can't say that I really like running on the treadmill, I love running on our rail trail instead, but it is too dark to run on the trail after work for at least half the year and I am too nervous to run on it by myself early in the morning since there aren't many people out at that time and a woman was attacked last year.  I am a new runner and I just can't handle all the hills in my neighborhood.  So, treadmill is better than nothing.

I think I am going to try putting a towel over the console though because I find myself staring at it no matter how many times I tell myself not to and my entire run is nothing but watching the clock tick until it is time to stop.  I am also going to set up a stereo in there this weekend so I have music.  No TV since we don't have cable on the second floor.  I do have it positioned directly in front of one window and beside another so at least I'm not staring at a wall.

One thing I do like it for is keeping my pace.  Outside my pace can be all over the place because it's hard for me to judge how fast I am going.  I use a Garmin (with a foot pod indoors) and while running outdoors I will see that I am running sooo much slower than I had set out to do.  The treadmill forces me to stay where I set it, so I do like it for that.

One thing I cannot imagine though is running on it for 10, 15, 20 miles like some of you can do, but then I guess I don't think I'll ever have to worry about that since I am only running 2-3 miles at a time anyway.

Linda

notimeforthat

I always wonder that if for someone like me, for whom leg speed is an issue, this is what makes treadmill running feel harder than outside.  My foot is being actively pushed behind me, and I have trouble moving it back up in time to be properly positioned for the next step.  If I run by myself, I don't allow my foot to go back quite as far.  Could also be why I can usually hit tempo paces better than easy paces - my form is better when I'm going faster, and the TM alters it less.

I think it can also be a culprit in folks overstriding while running. Good answer though. It is definitely different, but not bad different.

If you have issues with leg speed, try stride outs down a very slight hill. It helps.

Misty

Are you running the marathon on 2/24? It's going to be my first Smile

Amusingly, living up in Minnesota, I'm using the treadmill to the opposite effect - while I would ideally run outside, I was thinking that getting stuck training in the 75 degree gym a good percentage of the time might save my bacon if my marathon in New Orleans is a bit warm Joking

Misty

Bless your heart.

Village people

I think it can also be a culprit in folks overstriding while running. Good answer though. It is definitely different, but not bad different.

If you have issues with leg speed, try stride outs down a very slight hill. It helps.

Good point. It is easy to have bad form on the treadmill, if you aren't vigilant.