Beginners and Beyond

Race #12 of 2013: Street 2 Feet Race Report and Photos (Read 25 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

My 12th race in 2013.  Held in downtown San Antonio starting/finishing near First Presbyterian Church.  Supporting Street 2 Feet -<cite>www.street2feet.org</cite> - a volunteer organization partnering with SAMMinistries of San Antonio. Toyotoa - which has a manufacturing plant in San Antonio that makes the Toyota Tundra - was the major sponsor of the event. Nice turn out, probably between 1,000 - 1,500 or so participants.  Nice flat course that took us around the downtown San Antonio area and gave us a couple of views of the Riverwalk and The Alamo.  Even with my photo stops, I somehow managed to finish in 32:52 chip time, which is pretty speedy for me.  The weather was even pretty cooperative.  Last year we had a cold rain.  This year, it was a bit chilly before sunrise (39 degrees) but once the sun came up, it warmed up nicely, we had a nice sunny day and a very nice temps of 41 - 43 degrees in which to run.  I usually prefer temps a a lot warmer, but I was quite comfortable for this event; maybe I'm finally getting used to 'colder weather' temps, lol.

LONG VERSION REPORT W/PHOTOS

BEFORE THE START

Picked up my packet the day before the race.  Tech tee shirt in the goody bag:

Closeup of the Logo:

Got to the race area about an hour before start time and began doing my 'photo thang' of people there before the start

Course Marshals that were out on the course for we participants during the race

The food volunteers

Setting out all these nice goodies for us for post-race

Me and my bud, Jim

Me, Jim, and the lovely CeCi, one of the race organizers

MC Randy Beamer (right), news anchor for the evening news of local NBC station WOAI.

He graciously let me have a photo with him

Waiting participants, supporters and volunteers

ON THE COURSE

Race Crowd at the starting area

And away we go!  On the course, going around the streets of downtown San Antonio...

That orange/coral/whatever color it is building we are passing by at this point is the San Antonio main branch library downtown

Going over the first San Antonio Riverwalk bridge on the course

San Antonio Riverwalk view below us

2nd bridge on the course and 2nd view of the Riverwalk

Passing by THE Alamo

About a half mile now to the finish

AFTER THE RACE

This guy and I raced to the finish.  He finished ahead of me by 1 second.

Me and running friend, Sally

These nice folks wanted a photo with me, as did the young lady in the next photo

My very speedy friend, Bernadette, who as usual at races she does, placed in her age group

My bud, Jim, with two lovely ladies. Jim met his goal today of beating 24 minutes, finish time of 23:32, 1st in his 60-64 age group.

More "Happy Finishers" and supporters

Nice view of the church steeple from the finish area

Go Roadrunners!  Volunteers from University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), the university for which I work.

EPILOG

A very nice event, always popular in San Antonio, and done for a good cause.  Well organized, lots of friendly folks, nice course - a good PR course for those wanting to try for a new 5K PR - and lots of nice post-race goodies.  This one continues to be on my race calendar each year.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

happylily

Congratulations, Scotty, on your speedy time! Although it looked a bit chilly (even for the Canadian me), the sun and the pretty downtown course made up for it, I'm sure. And I'm always jealous of all the food you get at the end of your races. NOT FAIR! Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Scotty - I saw all the goodies for post-race, and figured you'd finish this one a little quicker than usual.  Then, I was surprised to see that you still stopped for tons of great photos.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Looks like anorher fun Texas race.  Congrats on #12, Scott.