Beginners and Beyond

Wake up lazy penguins it's Hump Day! (Read 21 times)

Dad on the run.

ExpandThe "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

4 miles this morning before work. 8:52, 8:51, 8:53, 8:44. I'm going to try and keep my overall average for the month below a 10:00m/m

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

PADRunner

Morning Penguins.

Still sore from a boot camp workout Monday but I was able to get my  6 done this morning. May skip gym tonight.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Run/walk after work yesterday.   Temps were a bit warmer than expected -  weather guy said it would only be 90 but it got up to 95 degrees - but still cooler than it has been around here lately.  Did 3.1 miles in a very nice neighborhood and then finished by going through the Zoo park.  I was, however, precipitationally disappointed as the rain our local weather folks promised did not develop....at least not where I was anyway.  I was really looking forward to getting rained on during my run/walk and with the unexpected warm-up, it would have been very refreshing too.  Well, today I may get my wish, because this morning it is already raining here. Plan on about 4 miles after work at a local park.

Nice running, PAD!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 6-7 miles and weights tonight. Took my RD yesterday to prepare for a presentation for today

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning Pengs !!!

Good luck with the < 10:00  pace Jimmy.

I know what you mean about boot camp PAD.  It will take a few days.

Hope you have a dry 4 Scott.

Good luck with the presentation. Might want to skip the F words.

Short run for us after work.  Today I will try to stay on the bridle path and on my feet.

Docket_Rocket

Yeah, Jerry. At work, I am a paragon of proper words. Well, at the office I might use F words but not when people from the outside are around.  Hope I remember.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Morning pens! SRD, between not taking a day off after my race and hills yesterday I think my legs will thank me for this.

Jimmy, I'd be cautious with a strict pace goal like that for *all* your runs - that's how I got injured two years ago, I wasn't running fast enough to reap any speedwork benefits (and was too low-mileage to safely incorporate speed anyway) and was running too fast to recover properly before my next run. I think you'd be better served running easy runs by effort, not pace, and then adding in strides toward the end of your runs a few times a week to work on running fast but relaxed.

Zelanie

Morning!  Dragging a bit today- I ended up running my 11 with 4 x 1.5 late last night.  I know I'm ready for taper, because beyond anything else, I found it boring.  It wasn't easy, but it wasn't that hard, either, except for the last half mile.  It just wasn't interesting or challenging.  But I got it done.  Today I have the 6 easy that I didn't run on Monday because of the smoke.

Jimmy, remember it's "run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard".  And at least my current plan specifies "easy" as 1-2 minutes per mile slower than marathon pace.  10:00 for you isn't even a minute slower than HM pace.  I know it's hard, but the benefits really do come from running slowly on easy days.

PAD- Day 2 soreness is always the worst!  Hope you feel better tomorrow!

Scotty- Hoping for some refreshing rain for you.

D- Hope that you ROCK that presentation!

Jerry- That sounds like a Scottydog adventure yesterday!  Glad you made it back OK and didn't get attacked by any deer.

Lauren- Enjoy the RD!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

JBJ: Just be smart about it. If you are pushing to keep that pace, that is not good because then all of your runs will be hard. You still need lots of easy miles.

Quick check in for me. We are finally getting a break from the heat; today it will only be 99 or 100!  I hope to get some miles in late tonight, well after the sun goes down. Perhaps it will be shirtless with the headband!

GinnyinPA

Jimmy - be careful with going too fast.  You know what it is like to have a race cancelled because of injury.  Since you're planning to help lead the training for your group, you really need to be cautious.

PAD - good job on getting the run done despite being sore.  I hope the run helped loosen you up.

Scotty - are you hoping for rain tonight?  If so, I hope you get it.  As a hiker, there have been times I prayed for a good shower to cool me off.  The clouds rarely deliver on command.  They keep telling us it's going to rain and I think we've only had one good storm in the past three weeks.

D - hope your presentation went well.  Have fun with the six tonight.

Jerry - enjoy your trail tonight.  Should be cool where you live.

Lauren - good idea to rest your legs after all the hard work lately.

Z - do you start taper this week or next?  You have done such a great job sticking to your plan, despite your busy life and this summer's travels.   I can see how it would get wearing after a while though.  I don't know if I could stick to a rigid schedule like the one you're following.  You have done really well.

Jack - I hope it cools off enough to run.  Do you have a safe area for night runs?  When we've been walking Ben at 11:00, we sometimes see a neighbor out doing 2 or 3 miles around the neighborhoods, but it's hard to go farther than that in the dark.  When you're running rural roads, you sometimes have to jump in a ditch to get away from cars.  That's dangerous in the dark.

AFM:  I'll do a short easy run later.  We'll be travelling the next couple of days (family funeral) so running may get short shrift this week.

tracilynn

Morning pengs.

I did my 8x 400s intervals today at the track but I only did 6 of them because I was already at 4 miles without a cool down and my LR is only 4 miles right now.  I ended up with 4.5 M total.  It was fun and it flew by!

I didn't wear my garmin so I don't know if I hit my paces but I think I ran them too fast (for me).

Dumb question >>> So if you're running on a track you can just manually hit the lap button on your garmin and it will give you a better idea of your pace, right?

~~~~~~~

Traci

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

We'll be travelling the next couple of days (family funeral) so running may get short shrift this week.  So sorry for your loss, Ginny.

How'd the presentation go, Damaris?  I TRUST everything went well!   I imagine you were a profound paragon of proper words at your palaver, with precise pronunciation and peppy presentation that precluded interruption and promoted people's participation.  

I don't want a dry 4, Jerry, I want it to rain, rain, rain!  With no lightning, of course.  Been a while since I've done a rain-run and they can be fun sometimes, if it's not a 'cold' rain...and we sure don't have any cold down here at the moment.   Quite an adventure you had on your run yesterday!  Almost like you were doing a mini 'tough mudder', lol.

Enjoy the SRD, Lauren.  I'm sure your legs will be thankful.

After your workout yesterday, I'm sure your legs will be thankful today too, Zelanie, with the 6 easy.  Hope the fires up there are getting somewhat under control and the smoke is easing up a bit for you.

Good luck with the night-time run, Jack! Shirtless, with a headband, AND with something reflective for safety.  Oh wait...shirtless, right....YOU will be reflective....pale, white chests light up in headlights, right?

Wow, fun on a track, how is that possible?     You have way more patience than I do, Traci, laps around and around tracks just bore me out of my mind.  Which is why I'm glad I have the 1-mile around track on Fort Sam...on that thing, it just does not feel like 'laps', thank goodness.  Congrats on your workout!  Sounds like the shins have made a very strong comeback.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

4 w/dw.  Didn't fall this time on the bridle path and didn't get lost.  There's a few more sections to run paralelling the bike path.  Way less horses than cyclists so its nice (as long as I can avoid the poo).

D, hope you are posting the presentation on FB  .

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

We'll be travelling the next couple of days (family funeral) so running may get short shrift this week.  So sorry for your loss, Ginny.

How'd the presentation go, Damaris?  I TRUST everything went well!   I imagine you were a profound paragon of proper words at your palaver, with precise pronunciation and peppy presentation that precluded interruption and promoted people's participation.  

I don't want a dry 4, Jerry, I want it to rain, rain, rain!  With no lightning, of course.  Been a while since I've done a rain-run and they can be fun sometimes, if it's not a 'cold' rain...and we sure don't have any cold down here at the moment.   Quite an adventure you had on your run yesterday!  Almost like you were doing a mini 'tough mudder', lol.

Enjoy the SRD, Lauren.  I'm sure your legs will be thankful.

After your workout yesterday, I'm sure your legs will be thankful today too, Zelanie, with the 6 easy.  Hope the fires up there are getting somewhat under control and the smoke is easing up a bit for you.

Good luck with the night-time run, Jack! Shirtless, with a headband, AND with something reflective for safety.  Oh wait...shirtless, right....YOU will be reflective....pale, white chests light up in headlights, right?

Wow, fun on a track, how is that possible?     You have way more patience than I do, Traci, laps around and around tracks just bore me out of my mind.  Which is why I'm glad I have the 1-mile around track on Fort Sam...on that thing, it just does not feel like 'laps', thank goodness.  Congrats on your workout!  Sounds like the shins have made a very strong comeback.

Scotty, you have no idea. I have heard that a million times at home from the DDs. I have had a few skin cancer issues over the years and now I keep myself well covered when outdoors. On the rare occasion that I do go shirtless, watch out!