Beginners and Beyond

Boston Harvest 5k/10k - RD Report? (Read 54 times)

Trail Monster

This story starts with last year's Boston Harvest 5k. Shane has been working around the clock since about 3 days after the 2012 race ended to make this year's version bigger and better. He added a 10k option and got more sponsors, more donations, more door prizes, and just more everything. The goal this year was to have 300 participants. Thanks to an estimated 800 man-hours we reached, and possibly exceeded, this goal. We had 168 runners in the 5k (walkers were not timed) and 81 runners in the 10k.

Friday night we packed up the kids and sent them off to Shane's parents for the night. Then we frantically packed vehicles and double checked mile markers and signs. We had caught a teenager stealing the handmade scarecrow mile markers from the trail so we had to check every last detail ten times over to be sure everything was perfect. Shane picked up cookies, cake, chips, and made Gatorade while I made parking signs and buckets for door prize drawings.

Parking signs

My car

Shane's car

Handmade mile markers

By the time we made it to bed Friday night I had no idea how we would make it through race morning. However, we were up and moving shortly after 5am and we got everything set up right on schedule. We never could have done it without all of our wonderful volunteers. They erected tents, set up tables, registered runners, handed out packets, and generally turned chaos into calm.

Food table

Cake with a certain child's fingerprints

At 9am we were ready to launch the 10k runners. I was originally registered for the 10k but I developed a bad cold in the days leading up to the race and I didn't want to be MIA for over an hour so I dropped to the 5k. As the 10k began I rushed to set up the awards table, food table, and door prizes for the runners upon their return. A short 15 minutes later it was my turn to toe the line.

Big Beaver Big Dawgs

As we took off I tried to hold back. I was breathing okay and I began to hope I might do okay despite my cold. I was running with our friend's son and we put down a 7:40 mile. I felt fine and wasn't even breathing hard. I started to get excited but I guess it was premature. As we approached the turn around I began to feel my chest tighten up. I kept pushing but quickly went from congestion to pain so I pulled way back. My friend's son kept up the strong pace while I struggled to breathe coming in at 8:30 for mile 2. In mile 3 I began to assume I was going to have to walk. I really eased up and trotted while a few men passed me. As soon as a woman passed me I pulled it together and sped up again. I managed to fend off all of the other approaching women. Mile 3 ticked off in 8:48. I held steady for the last .12 miles and just crossed before the next woman.

Waving to our amazing photographer, Jesse Meyers

Finishing

My chip didn't register as I crossed the mat and I forgot to stop my Garmin so my time is off. But the official results are listed as 25:54 for 24th overall, 7th woman, and 1st in my age group. I'll take that for being sick, up all night, and stressed all morning!

Boston Harvest swag

As soon as I finished I stumbled up to the finish area to get back to work. My mom and the other volunteers had set out the door prizes and drawn bib numbers while the races were happening so I spent the next half hour handing out 130 prizes to the lucky winners. Meanwhile Shane was getting the official results printed out and the clown and Kona Ice truck entertained the kids. Unfortunately, our scheduled band did not show up so the adults were less entertained.

Lulu the Clown was a hit again

As soon as the results were available we handed out plaques plus gift certificates to the top 3 men and women in each race plus the top master man and woman. The top 3 men and women in each 5 year age group each received a medal. Every kid got a finisher medal on top of being eligible for an age group award. And there was a midpack award for each race as well. Our hope was that everyone would go home with something between awards and door prizes.

Age group awards

Kids' medals

Midpack awards

Overall awards

Even the dogs got medals

It began to rain as we started the awards ceremony. Thankfully it stayed at a light drizzle until we were just finishing cleaning up. Everyone except our most loyal volunteers and friends had left by the time it really poured. We quickly broke down the tents and tables and cleaned up the garbage and signs. Before we knew it the ballfield looked like we had never been there and the trail was empty. We were left with 3 vehicles to unload in a downpour but it didn't put a damper on what turned out to be a really great day!

There is no official total yet but we feel confident we exceeded the $4,000+ we raised for Rex's fight against Batten's Disease last year. As soon as the final bills (port-o-john rentals, timing fees, etc) are paid and the final registration check comes in we will be able to give Rex and his family the proceeds from the race. Seeing Rex's face light up at the race made it worth all the time and effort and frustration. He is such a sweetheart!

Rex and his family and friends

Overall, I don't think we could have asked for a better day. The course was dead on accurate, the weather was great until the very end, the volunteers were amazing, the participants were cheerful and patient, and everything just went according to plan. We are so blessed to be part of such an amazing community and running family!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Love it.

Looks like a well-organized event with attention to detail for a good cause.  Congrats on a job well done.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Great job!!! Love getting the RD perspective! Such cute mile markers/decor/medals/ect and I love how many little extras you put in to make everyone's day special (door prizes, ect) I wish you organized races in my area!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Great job!!  I'd have loved to kick the candy ass of the teen caught stealing mile markers.

It looks & sounds like you put together a pretty awesome race & ceremonies.  And boo to the band that no-showed. Evil

Out of curiosity, what did you charge for the 5K and 10K??  And how did the money trickle down??  Was there any particular funding or fundraising goal?

Just curious on the RD side as I wonder where the monies go sometimes when I run a $30 race that's done incredibly well, then a $50 race that sucks blue whale.

Randy

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

It's good to be reminded of how much work goes on behind the scenes to make a successful race that runners will want to come back to the next year. Too often I think we take it granted or never even think about it. Just finding volunteers can be an issue sometimes, not to mention sponsors. You went that extra step to make your race special.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Love the Half

Congrats on a well run event.  I'm RD for the first time for a race on October 12 and I hope mine goes as well as yours.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

RSX

Congrats and great race report. It is great to read your take on being an RD also.

Trail Monster

Great job!!  I'd have loved to kick the candy ass of the teen caught stealing mile markers.

It looks & sounds like you put together a pretty awesome race & ceremonies.  And boo to the band that no-showed. Evil

Out of curiosity, what did you charge for the 5K and 10K??  And how did the money trickle down??  Was there any particular funding or fundraising goal?

Just curious on the RD side as I wonder where the monies go sometimes when I run a $30 race that's done incredibly well, then a $50 race that sucks blue whale.

$10 for early registration for kids and seniors, $15 for adults. We charged $5 more for late and race day registration. Almost all of the costs were covered by sponsorship money. All of the registration fees will go to Rex. We worked on having incredibly cheap and well done.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

LRB

That is way cool!  I am not ready for anything like that but I could see myself doing it someday.

My hats off to you and all who take on such a huge challenge!

SheCan

You and your family do so much for the running community, and community in general.  Rex is very lucky to live near you all.  Congratulations on your placing 1st in your age group, and doing so well despite the cold.  Congratulations to your community for having you and Shane around.

BTW, the tee-shirts are awesome!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Zelanie

Sounds like a great race! Your attention to detail is awesome,  and I love the midpack awards!