Beginners and Beyond

Kansas City area Runner Missing Since Monday (Read 177 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

http://www.examiner.com/article/kansas-city-area-runner-chad-rogers-missing

I'd hate for DH to be worried sick about me, no matter how annoying a cell phone is I always carry mine with me (and pepper spray). I can only imagine how the family is feeling right now Sad

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

I have not read about that.  Poor wife, she must be very worried.  I hope she checked the hospitals.  This is one example of why I carry my Road ID or phone, mostly so they can identify me if something goes wrong.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yeah, they said the family has checked with hospitals and the police station a cross country coach had a search and rescue "race" held yesterday evening I believe, but haven't heard anymore on it.

Edit: more links and information:

http://www.kmbc.com/news/kansas-city/search-underway-for-missing-jogger-from-liberty/-/11664182/21129644/-/242i0ez/-/index.html

http://fox4kc.com/2013/07/23/police-ask-for-help-in-finding-missing-liberty-jogger/

Also, I tell DH how many miles I am doing and where my general route will be and I don't stray from that route.

I have not read about that.  Poor wife, she must be very worried.  I hope she checked the hospitals.  This is one example of why I carry my Road ID or phone, mostly so they can identify me if something goes wrong.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

LRB

Yeah, no, that's not good.

I do not run with a phone, it's just a chance I take.  I lost my key on a run before and was locked out of my car where my phone was.  It was on that day that I realized I only know two numbers of friends or family by heart, two frickin' numbers out of 200 that are stored in my phone!  Back in the day, I would know every single one of them by heart.  It's a different world.

I would expect most ladies run with a phone...or a gun, sharp edge, or mace if not a phone.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Not to sound insensitive, but this doesn't strike me as the kind of situation where having a phone would have been all that useful.  I get that if you feel like you're being followed you can make a call, but if you collapse or are abducted, you're not going to be doing a whole lot of dialing.

The interesting thing is that I automatically assumed that this story was going to be about a woman.  Is it wrong that since it's a guy I wonder if he was just trying to escape his life/family?

And, like LRB, I don't carry anything.  I have changed routes because of dogs though, and I'd much rather alter my routes than be burdened with carrying things.

Also, being able to run a handful of sub-6 miles ought to be enough to get me out of some bad situations, right?

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Docket_Rocket

If you have the phone like the iPhone, they can easily track you (by searching for the iPhone).  Also, they can call back one of the most used numbers.  Hubby left his iPhone at a restaurant not long ago.  We got a call at 11pm on my phone asking if I knew someone that had eaten at that restaurant that day.  If not, hubby would've used the Find my iPhone and there it would be.

Not to sound insensitive, but this doesn't strike me as the kind of situation where having a phone would have been all that useful.  I get that if you feel like you're being followed you can make a call, but if you collapse or are abducted, you're not going to be doing a whole lot of dialing.

The interesting thing is that I automatically assumed that this story was going to be about a woman.  Is it wrong that since it's a guy I wonder if he was just trying to escape his life/family?

And, like LRB, I don't carry anything.  I have changed routes because of dogs though, and I'd much rather alter my routes than be burdened with carrying things.

Also, being able to run a handful of sub-6 miles ought to be enough to get me out of some bad situations, right?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I usually do not run with my phone since I hate carrying anything but having the phone might come in handy in those ways.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

happylily

Whatever the circumstances are, his family must be worried sick. I feel for them. :-(

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

My phone fits right into my shorts' back zipper pocket so I don't have to hold it, I only hold my pepper spray, but I don't mean an emergency where I would have to call someone but if whoever is watching my son has to get hold of me immediately, then I want my phone on me for that reason. Even if I had to actually carry my phone in my hand, I would if it is the only way my mom or DH or grandma can get hold of me.

PRs

Birdwell

I'm in the not carry anything camp too. I have a road I.d., and I tend to run the same routes over and over, so my wife knows the general area I'll be in.

(Siar, your question was my first thought. It's sad that I've become so cynical.  I hope they find him alive and well somewhere)

LRB

If you have the phone like the iPhone, they can easily track you...

I'm not gonna do it, but that is a really good point.

The closest I thought I was to something happening was when an SUV about 20 yards from of me (heading my way) suddenly swerved off the road and onto the shoulder.  My first thought when i heard the door open was what the fuck is this?!

Apparently though, the guy dropped the hots from a cigarette between his legs and into the seat or something like that.  It was at that moment however that I realized we really have no control over random acts if someone wanted to do you.

I guess the best thing would be to take off like a bat outta hell like SIAR alluded to, which actually goes to one of the rules of how not to become a victim of crime; stopping and giving a perp an audience.

slowrunningjulie

I carry my phone with me, not due to concern about rapists or abductors, but because of the other types of emergencies that can occur on a run. There are rattlesnakes in my area, and my DH has found skins in the park that I run in. I know it Is unlikely, but if I got bit by a rattler, having a phone with me could save my life. There are also the "fall down and break your ankle" kind of things that could happen. And then there is plain ol' heat exhaustion. Things happen. They don't have to be catastrophic for you to want to be able to call somebody to come help you out. The closest I ever got to calling for help was one time I had a stomach bug and got sick about nine miles into my run. I did wind up being able to walk home, but barely.

I also have an iphone and DH and I share an Apple account, which means he can see me on his phone when he uses his "find my phone" app. He likes to be able to see where I am.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

Docket_Rocket

For anyone interested, there is now a FB page with updates on his search.  He has not been found:

FB Link

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

I saw this product the other day and seriously considered getting it for DH - link -   It's like LoJack for Husbands.

It is important to tell someone where you will be and also carry ID with you and emergency phone numbers (Road ID, etc).   A phone may or may not be helpful, depending on the situation, but never hurts to carry one.  I don't, unless I am hitting the trails and then I always carry a phone because I get lost a lot.

The longer the search goes, the less this seems like it's going to have a good ending.  Sad

StepbyStep-SH

I always wear my Road ID, and usually tell DH a general idea of where I am running (weekday mornings, it is always just our neighborhood and a neighboring subdivision). I carry my phone on long runs or if I have dropped DS off at the YMCA.

As for locating someone with the phone, it can work, but (I think) the phone has to operational and the GPS enabled. I keep the GPS turned off on mine because I don't like Facebook and other apps automatically stamping posts with my location. And I don't count on the phone as a way for people to find phone numbers because if I am wiped out by a truck, chances are good my phone might not fare any better.

My prayers go out to the runner and his family.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.