Beginners and Beyond

All or Nothing Penguin Weekend! (Read 26 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!).

National All or Nothing Day

PADRunner

4 miles done and contemplating mowing the grass.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

PAD: "Contemplating mowing the grass." I contemplate doing a lot of things. Smile

No run for me today. DD2 has a big swim meet down in Orange County and tomorrow we are off to Mammoth with the other DD's XC team for their high elevation training camp. Should be a fun week.

See ya.

From the Internet.

I failed at my goal of drinking beer post-10-miler last night, but surprised myself by finishing in 1:34: xx without any trouble Smile RR later today.

Zelanie

Morning!  I have an easy 10 miler coming up in a bit.  Looks like a nice day for running in the park, now I just need to find a route that's not too monotonous.

PAD- Mow, or mow not.  There is no "contemplate," it's all or nothing day!

Jack- Good luck to the DDs!

Lauren- Way to go!  You are getting so speedy!

Bin Running

No run today although I set alarm for 6am. Tongue hope to get some tmr.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

hog4life

Hi everyone, 11 for me this morning.

Brilliant

Good morning!  8.6 done this morning.  I was just looking at my log, and in the last 4 months I've only done 8 runs over 8 miles (my current definition of "long run").  I used to get in one every week; lately it's been every 2-3 weeks. Sad  Anyway...it felt good today so I won't dwell on it too much. Smile

Nice job Lauren!

Have a great week, Jack!  Get in some good high elevation runs.

Happy running Penguins!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Ran the Big Ten Network Big 10, 10K this morning with DW, DD, and DSIL. 1:07 was a PW by far, but at least we beat 2,600 other runners.  It was humid this morning and we walked through a couple of aid stations.  Had plenty left for a last mile kick and we were going close to 9:00 at the end.  Fun race and by far the biggest we have run in.  Had a Goose Island beer and then we went out for a nice al fresco breakfast by DD' condo in the city.  Time for a nap and another beer.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

After fighting some kind of crap in my system for the last couple of days (Thursday and Friday; thursday was the worst), I got up this morning and picked up Sly Moon who is visiting San Antonio this weekend.  He wanted to do an 8-miler today and I was planning on an easy 3 for me as a slow comeback after the 2 days of crappola.

So I decided to make our starting point Brackenridge Park, where the San Antonio Zoo is.  This park gives access to Lions Park which, in turn, has a trail that goes to one end of the San Antonio Riverwalk.  This way,  starting from an end-point, Sly Moon would have the WHOLE riverwalk trail to run on - which goes much farther than 8 miles, plus he would be running back in the direction where his hotel was, which is easily accessible from the Riverwalk; and I could do a turn-around and head back to where my vehicle was parked, so I would not be pushing myself too much today.

So I got Sly Moon about 6:30 a.m and we headed to Brackenridge, with a quick drive-around in the historic King William district, so he'd know where one part of the other end of the Riverwalk came out and know how to get back to his hotel from there.  After we got to the park we did a short warmup walk to one of the the park trailheads - with me playing 'tour guide", pointing out my route along the Zoo fence line and the Egret birds in the trees, and the park bridge I once got chased over by the little tourist train that goes around the park - and then we were off and running.

Well, running/walking anyway.  Sly Moon was very accommodating about doing my run/walk thing because of my arthritis and he also kindly ran my pace, which is MUCH more slower than his normal running pace, I'm sure.   We had a nice chat along the way about this-and-that; and the weather cooperated too, it was a bit humid, but for the end of July in Texas, it was actually nice for a morning run.

We got through the Lion's Park trail and then headed onto the Riverwalk Trail, going along with Brackenridge golf course on our right. Went through an underpass...

photo 007_zpsf8e5a543.jpg

...that took us up to a street we had to cross to get where the Riverwalk continued on - why the engineers that developed all this just didn't make the underpass connect with the other side of the Riverwalk, I have no idea -  and reached my turn-around point which is called Pearl Brewery area, so-called because of the old Pearl Brewery that used to make Pearl Beer.  It is now a thriving community development of unique condos, apartments, shoppes, restaurants, etc., that are all within blocks of the Riverwalk.  This side of the San Antonio Riverwalk is the 'quiet side", away from all the restaurants, shoppes, tourist vendor places, etc, that are in the heart of the Riverwalk.   It is called the "Museum Reach"  riverwalk side obecause the San Antonio Museum of Art is located on this side.  The end area of it, where Sly Moon and I parted ways is a very pretty area with flowers, gardens, etc.

photo 006_zps3e744802.jpg

photo 005_zpsbfb8d8f2.jpg

photo 004_zps4b4242bc.jpg

photo 003_zps85132a36.jpg

I gave Sly Moon some info for continuing his run on up the Riverwalk, and this is what he - and you if you ever run here - encounters as he moves on up this dside of the Riverwalk.

An underpass that has 'fish sculpture" representing swimming fish in the river

At night...the fish light up...

The grotto fountain

The Museum Bridge - which is were the San Antonio Museum of Art is located.  The side of the riverwalk  Sly Moon was on dead-ends at the museum, so he would cross over this bridge to keep on going up the Riverwalk.  The museum is in the background behind the bridge.

This VFW post, which is one of the oldest buildings in San Antonio

The Riverwalk Locks, where the tourist barges 'get a lift" to continue their tours along the river

After that, Sly Moon would soon hit the 'heart of downtown" part of the Riverwalk, where all the restaurants, shoppes, barges, etc, are seen the most.   Since this was still early morning, would not be as busy as what it is in this photo.

He probably would not yet have 8 miles done so from here, it's over those steps and continue to follow the Riverwalk on down to the historic King William District where he'd run through a neighborhood filled with 19th century-style mansions and houses.

If he went farther down the Riverwalk than that, then he would've encountered the Outrigger Canoe Club, then the Blue Star Brewery - a very good local craft brewer, I often end my riverwalk runs here and sit on their patio post-run enjoying one of their lagers and the riverwalk view.

As for me, I turned around at my halfway point but before I went I got a couple of photos of Sly Moon along the riverwalk.  I would have got us both but we were the only ones around right then and I am just terrible at 'selfie' photos  - even more terrible than my usual photos, lol - so I just got  him

photo 002_zps275b2026.jpg

photo 001_zps8275df80.jpg

Sly Moon was wearing his Garmin and told me we had come 1.8 miles, so I headed back exactly the way we had come out to get in 3.6 miles total when I got back to Brackenridge Park.   I actually got 3.7 in, because I went ahead and ran back to where the car was parked, which was about 1/10 of a mile from where Sly Moon and I started on the trail head.   I was feeling pretty good going out with Sly Moon but I guess this stupid virus thing had drained me more than I though because coming back I had to do more walking that I'd intended to, which made for a very slow overall time for me; but that's okay, I got it done, and after I got back to the car I took out some gatorade I'd stored in a small cooler and sat by the river in the park and sipped my drink and cooled down, enjoying the view.

Sly Moon told me he and his family would be enjoying San Antonio Sea World today so he may not read this for a while.  Hopefully, he had a really nice run on the Riverwalk and enjoyed the 'tour'.  And hopefully he did get in his 8 miles.   I am terrible at estimating distances in my head, so I tried to figure out a route that would hopefully give him 8 miles, but if not, hopefully he and his Garmin figured it out  and the other side of the riverwalk from which we started is very accommodating as it goes a LONG way, now that the riverwalk extension is complete.

Nice FE and nice run with a very nice guy.

Sorry about the post length.  Only I could turn a 3-mile run into a whole story, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Robert31320

Team TJ

Happy Saturday Penguins.  I've been AWOL for a while but continuing to run.  My DW is working to become a runner and I've been running with her lately.  No where near the miles I really need but she needs the support more.  She's set herself a goal to "run" her next 5k and I will be pushing TJ in the jogging chair along side her and we plan to have a family finish photo.  Hope all of you are doing well.

Running for TJ because he can't.

GinnyinPA

Lauren - congratulations on the race PR.  You can celebrate with beer today.  It's still appropriate.

PAD - so did the lawn get mowed?

Jack - enjoy the cool Mammoth weather.  I hope you get some good runs in.

Zel - how is it monotonous?  Short circles?  Track?

Bin - setting the alarm early only works if you actually get up then.  I hope your Sunday run was better.

Mitch - good job on the 11.

Brilliant - if your overall volume is good, it doesn't matter about the long runs, unless you are training for a long race.  Good job on the 8+ today. Long runs are a lot harder when it's hot.

Jerry - I'm glad you had fun this a.m., even if you didn't get a PR.

Scotty - sorry about you feeling sick the past few days.  Sounds like you had fun this a.m. though and that you are feeling better.  Race tomorrow?

Robert - I hope your wife is enjoying becoming a runner.  Helping her get a good start is a good thing to do.  Can't you do a few miles afterward so you can get more miles and speed?

AFM:  I started to do a longish run a few days ago but something very weird was happening with my right leg.  It only hurt a little when walking, but was agony when I tried to run.  It felt like I had simultaneously strained all the muscles around my knee: front, back, sides, above and below. The knee itself just felt odd.  I have absolutely no idea what happened to it, as I hadn't run the previous two days, and only walked a little, though there was a very strenuous hike three days earlier.  The next day was better, though I still couldn't run.  Today we spent most of the day looking for a place to stay (busy busy weekend, so all the campgrounds, state parks and affordable hotels were full) so I never got a chance to test it though it was fine when walking, and tomorrow we're hoping to hike, if the snow isn't too bad.  (Mt. Baker looked very white.)  I knew I wouldn't be able to do much running while we were traveling, but I was hoping for better than I've done.

PADRunner

7 miles done this morning.

As for the grass, who am I to limit it's growth potential?

Yet I did, with murderous abandon.

Bin Running

Ran 7M today. Wanted to do longer but torrential rain stopped it short. Was trapped at a makeshift tent(seem to have a race later) for abt 45min. Decided to turn back after rain turned to drizzle but I have lost time there. DS and DD waking up soon.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

tracilynn

Lauren, you are my inspiration! Im so happy this running thing is working for you now after your past struggles. I hope I can get to the point you are one day (or one year)

scotty, nice pics and hope you get over your virus after effects soon.

slymoon, holy cow at dem legs  he is ONE FIT DUDE.

Norby, enjoyed your pics on FB this morn. TJ  Looking happy and you are looking strong. Glad to hear Angie is doing the running thing.  Awesome news.

hello to everyone else.

3 miles on the dreadmill later.

~~~~~~~

Traci