Beginners and Beyond

Before and After (Read 222 times)

Docket_Rocket

LOL.

seriously - you request pictures of dudes here?

wow-

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

That's the "and beyond" part of the forum.

lol- maybe I need to just stay a beginner or venture back to L&O with normal people Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

happylily

wow-

haha... That should shut him up for a while. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

haha... That should shut him up for a while. Big grin

or start a war Smile

Tomas

Hip Redux

or start a war Smile

Wouldn't that be funny if THIS turned out to be the melt down thread?

Ahh, interwebs, you amuse me.

Wouldn't that be funny if THIS turned out to be the melt down thread?

Ahh, interwebs, you amuse me.

yes- that would be funny. but sad because I can only play online a lil longer. I have to actually work later :/

Tomas

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

wow-

Dave is hot.  You got a problem with dat?

You people have issues 

no problem here. you do what you do.

Tomas

Village people

wow-

he passes them along to the ladies of L&O and then we discuss, mock, whatever.

happylily

I know I, for one, don't have a problem with that. But I'm glad you can recognize his hotness too. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

he passes them along to the ladies of L&O and then we discuss, drool, circle jerk, whatever.

ok.

Tomas

Rungry!

So while it's easy for me to say, "Drop the donut, fatty!" I realized pretty quickly that I don't have it all figured out, and there are other areas in which I struggle. It's just that nutrition and exercise don't seem to be that for me right now.

Damn, late again. It sucks being on the west coast, I miss everything. I had problems with being a tad judgemental while I was losing weight, and worked hard not to say something that I would regret to friends/family members that weren't at least trying to do something about their obesity. I was shocked by my lack of compassion and had to constantly remind myself not to judge. That isn't much of a problem now that I've put some weight back on. I believe some people call that eating crow?

Jen

Damn, late again. It sucks being on the west coast, I miss everything. I had problems with being a tad judgemental while I was losing weight, and worked hard not to say something that I would regret to friends/family members that weren't at least trying to do something about their obesity. I was shocked by my lack of compassion and had to constantly remind myself not to judge. That isn't much of a problem now that I've put some weight back on. I believe some people call that eating crow?

honestly, I think you are normal. I said I dont judge. I should have said I dont typically say what I think. We all have opinions and sometimes we keep quiet about them for the good of others and or ourselves.

Tomas

sirdizzy

I was obese because I like food and didn't exercise enough.  Sometimes I watch those biggest loser shows and they are always trying to tie some emotional issues or something that happened to the reason they are fat.  I was fat because I liked to eat and didn't move enough.  I still like to eat but now I move a lot to make up for it, problem solved (I also gave up soda to decrease some of caloric intake).  I think oeople read into things too much, sometimes its the simple answer.  I ate to much and didn't exercise enough or at all.

And I got a shirtless photo after getting out of my wet suit on Saturday if anyone wants a half nude photo Wink

Love the Half

But now i have a question to the former bigger people - do you have sympathy for those who haven't/can't lose weight? or do you feel some scorn, like hey, I did it why can't you? Serious question, not rhetorical.

When I was fat, I readily admitted that I was fat because I ate too much and didn't exercise.  There was no secret to it then and there is no secret to it now.  I don't have any scorn for people who are overweight but I don't have any sympathy either.  It's not that a person "can't" lose weight.  It's that they don't want to do the things needed to lose the weight.  I'm not being judgmental; I'm just stating reality.  Shoot, I smoked for 30 years and enjoyed every damn cigarette I ever smoked.  I didn't smoke because I was addicted.  I smoked because I really, really liked smoking so I get why some people don't want to quit just like I get why some don't want to exercise or change their eating habits.

Despite running 50-70 mpw, I can't eat anything I want.  I rarely eat potato chips anymore and when I do, I limit myself to a handful.  That compares to me buying an entire bag and scarfing down the whole 1100+ calories in an evening.  After supper.  I still put dressing on my salad but I use strongly flavored dressing such as blue cheese so you need very little to get the flavor.  I still love pizza but I eat 2-3 slices rather than 5-6.  I still love ice cream but I get a single scoop rather than a double.  I still love a good steak but I get the small portion rather than a size that would feed a small lion.  I didn't used to eat veggies at all.  Now, I try to start every meal with veggies so I'm not as hungry when I start on the rest of my food.  I still snack but I keep healthy snacks like carrots, apples, mangos, and dry roasted peanuts around.

But I never, ever buy the "can't" excuse.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).