Beginners and Beyond

1 MA State Cop's Reaction to the Rolling Stone Cover (Read 100 times)

RSX

The police photographer released some photos of the younger brother being captured that night in Watertown as a response to the Rolling Stone cover. He is on suspension, and next week may lose his job after a hearing. I get a slap on the wrist since he was doing this on his own. I do expect many in our state to be outraged if he loses his job. People in the street type interviews prefer these photos to the RS cover.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/18/us/massachusetts-tsarnaev-photos/index.html

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I didn't even know folks still read Rolling Stone magazine but regardless I have no use for it anyway.  I say burn the publisher's building to the ground and hang the CEO in the town square.

But I'm just a red, white & blue kinda guy.

Randy

yeoldefatguy

I didn't even know folks still read Rolling Stone magazine but regardless I have no use for it anyway.  I say burn the publisher's building to the ground and hang the CEO in the town square.

But I'm just a red, white & blue kinda guy.

So that's one vote for censorship. That's very American of you.

Village people

That sounds about right.

delicate flower

I hope I am never in a position where I have multiple laser pointers from law enforcement rifles visible on my head and chest.

<3

BexKix, Bagel Defender

Rolling Stone, like most U.S. magazines, is subscription-driven. According to ABC (Audit Bureau of Circulations), its newsstand sales are just 75,000 out of a total circulation of over 1.4 million last year.

Source: http://www.nbcnews.com/business/bomber-cover-issue-could-be-boon-rolling-stone-6C10671779

Unfortunately I think NBC is right in this case: there's no such thing as bad publicity for RS.

Personally, it makes my stomach turn to see that person on the cover as if he were a rock star.  He is not a rock star, and doesn't deserve that coverage.  Print the article, that is freedom of press.  The situation deserves to be probed.  But to give a murderer/terrorist POSITIVE celebrity status for his crimes goes against civilization. Laws against one man walking up to another and killing randomly is one of the few things humankind has in common across many, many cultures.  It is sick to give positive celebrity status to someone accused (and likely guilty) of such things.

RS went into this with their eyes wide open.  To pretend to be able give a sociological or psychological explanation for the brokenness of a human being is a big stretch for a pop culture magazine.  They went into this looking for publicity.

Edited for clarity.

happylily

I'm not sure what seeing those pictures will achieve. He doesn't appear as a murderer but more as a victim, in those pics. Of course, we know he's not, but that's just how he looks there. On the other hand, firing the photographer seems extreme. An reprimand should be enough.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

RSX

I'm not sure what seeing those pictures will achieve. He doesn't appear as a murderer but more as a victim, in those pics. Of course, we know he's not, but that's just how he looks there. On the other hand, firing the photographer seems extreme. An reprimand should be enough.

I agree that the pictures don't achieve anything and I assumed it wasn't a greeting party when he got off the boat. 1 of that sergeant's roles is counseling families of fallen officers, and apparently he met with the bombing victim's families also so I get his intentions when the cover came out. But in that role there is still protocol to follow.

Love the Half

If Tsarnaev had been one of my students and I went to the media with his grades or his papers or other such things, I'd lose my job in a second.  I can disclose a student's educational records only to the student, other members of the academic community with a need to know the information, and governmental authorities if they have a warrant or some other type of authorization such as a subpoena.  I have gotten into the occasional dispute with a parent who thinks I can discuss their child's academic performance with them just because they are paying for it.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Love the Half

I'll add one more thing.  Osama bin Laden's picture appeared in thousands of media outlets on thousands of occasions and nary a peep was heard.  Hitler's picture is routinely shown just about everywhere.  I'm not sure I get why everyone is terribly upset about this.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

RSX

I'll add one more thing.  Osama bin Laden's picture appeared in thousands of media outlets on thousands of occasions and nary a peep was heard.  Hitler's picture is routinely shown just about everywhere.  I'm not sure I get why everyone is terribly upset about this.

No one made either look like a rock star. I'm not upset in the least but get where people are coming from especially from living here

GinnyinPA

LTH - one of the main reasons a lot of the mass murderers do what they do is for the publicity.  They love having their name and photos everywhere.  The more publicity they get, the more they achieve their aim, which is to get attention.  Putting Tsarnaev on the cover of RS encourages other sick people to attempt something bigger and badder so they can get even more publicity.

Village people

LTH - one of the main reasons a lot of the mass murderers do what they do is for the publicity.  They love having their name and photos everywhere.  The more publicity they get, the more they achieve their aim, which is to get attention.  Putting Tsarnaev on the cover of RS encourages other sick people to attempt something bigger and badder so they can get even more publicity.

He was on the news for hours and hours just after the bombings. This seems like a drop in the bucket. I have no opinion, I wouldn't go out of my way to read the article but it probably is more accurate than what we heard during the hours of speculation from family who hadn't had contact for years and everyone else these two had ever spoken to.

I can understand why he released the photos but that doesn't make it right. There is no excuse. Some professions require you to check your feelings and opinions at the door, there is a reason for that.

Docket_Rocket

Terrorism is all about attention and making people scared, rather than killing.  So the more attention the terrorist gets, the better (according to them).  Like I said, I am not outraged by the cover and I understand why the magazine decided to publish these, but it's in bad taste, especially because it plays into what they want.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Can we get back to the basics like book burning?  This is Amurika.

You people have issues