Beginners and Beyond

Muckety-Muck Monday Penguins! (Read 33 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

B-Plus

Just saying hi so I can be first. You Pens sure start early!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, it's not Monday in Texas yet, but it is on the East Coast.  So I am starting 'today's' thread on behalf of all our loverly East Coast Penguins.

Muckety-Muck is what I feel like right now, lol, dealing with posting the photos for my last race report.  Like this report was cursed or something, lol!  I am not very technology efficient anyway, so if there is any kind of problem in that area, it drives me nutso!  I wish Running Ahead would come up with just a very SIMPLE method for posting photos here, instead of having to use tinypic or photobucket or whatever.  Like the way the OLD RW forum used to do it - you just clicked on the Tree, uploaded your photo from WHEREVER (even your desktop), and hit the "post photo" thing or whatever they had - and voila, your photo appeared!  No links necessary, no mess, no fuss.  Now, why can't RW and Running Ahead go back to that so much simpler method?

OK, rant over., sorry about that.  I do like the new RW forum and here too, but photo posting just drives me crazy, and is VERY time-consuming for me.  BTW, I think I did get the problem resolved; my report is on the first page somewhere and everyone should now be able to see the photos.

Thankfully, I am off today, so I can sleep in bit after I get to bed late.  Saturday I did a 5K.  Sunday, I did 3.5 miles at a local park.  Sunday evening, around 6 pm. Gail had a meeting in Devine, Texas (about 35 miles from San Antonio.  So I drove her down and then went to the local park there and put in 3 more miles on my second run/walk of the day.  In 89 degree weather and 89 percent humidity...gaaack!   After I finished I noticed right across from the park, there is this big ranch and wandering around the ranch is a bunch of various wildlife - emus, prong-horn antelope, deer, ducks, geese, cattle, etc.  I went over to get a closer look at the emus...they were wandering right along the fenceline, and quite friendly, one even let me pet his feathery head a bit.  What a cool way to end a run, lol, petting an emu!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

On  Sunday, I did a run/walk in a Elmendorf Lake Park, a local park I have actually never been to.  When I started out, I noticed a couple of the trees by the lake were full of these birds.

race 073

race 071

race 072

Some nice views of the lake and buildings from Our Lady of the Lake University near the lake.

race 067 race 064 race 065 race 066

I guess some would call this “graffiti” but I thought these murals on near the park trail were quite good.

race 070 race 068 race 069

In the past the West Side of San Antonio has had a reputation for crime and being an unsafe area.  On my run this morning, everyone I met along the way was quite friendly and I felt quite comfortable in this park.  This is a very pretty little park, one I will certainly visit again in the future.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Scotty: you go on the coolest runs/walks/races. Your pics are the best and I feel your pain about the lack of simplicity to put a picture on here.

As for me, the tapering starts now and I have a rest day. It's less than two weeks for our HM and I am feeling good. I hope to PR, but more on that next week.

Have a good day to all the Pens to come.

Bin Running

B-Plus, Hi.

Scotty, that's early! You are running Boston as your 30th race, right? Tongue
              Photos showing fine.. What a beautiful place to run?

Jack, Enjoy the taper.. I sure did.. Go for that 1:40 and I see from previous thread that Le Headband is here.

4M comeback run for me.. felt ok.. 9:05 for easy which is a little too fast.. Planning to do an evening 8M and my 1st double..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

Scotty, great pics as always, you definitely get some good scenery on your runs!

B-Plus, thanks for stopping in to say hi! Smile

Jack, good luck with the taper, and your race!  I didn't respect the taper, and it cost me a PR, live and learn.

Bin, good run, enjoy the double!

AFM, heading into work early, so I'll run some recovery miles later today.  Gonna try to get a RR up tonight for my half on Saturday.

Hope everyone has a great day!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Dad on the run.

Hey Pens,

B-Plus - Hi

Lovely place you have to run at Scotty, I'm always jealous of the pictures you post.

Jack - Enjoy the taper, I'm sure you will PR!

Bin - Enjoy the run later, 8m is still a rough workout for me.

AFM - Just sitting here at work, get off at 12pm today thanks to the furlough. My friends will be starting week 6 of C25K, they are doing so good. In fact Friday when I had to work my friend text me after he got done and said he ran for 2 more minutes after the program told him to cool down. That was for a total of 10min running, he was so excited lol. I can't wait till they finish and we all get to do a 5k togther.

Worked out on my TRX system I built Saturday. All I can say is WOW, for something so simple it really works. My whole upper body is sore this morning.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Monday, BP, Scott, Jack, Bin, Dave and Jimmy.  Got in 3.5 yesterday for a grand total of  5 miles for the week.  Should be back to normal this week.  Looks like another slow week at work.

Have a great week.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Penguins have been busy already!  Race week is here and I am freaking out now.  And the weather is turning from yucky to WTF so this should be interesting.  7 recovery miles and weights later.

Scotty, thanks for sharing the pics.  I sent an email to your friend.  Let him know I am available for questions.  That weather sounds like Miami, LOL.

B-Plus, hi!

Jack, enjoy the rest day.  Good luck on the HM!

Bin, remember to keep the 8 easy tonight.

D2, yo!

jblack, I'm sure it works.  Ouch.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Jerry, nice runs.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Didn't make it to 8M. 5M @ 9:30. Much better and the 1st miles was a little difficult.

The legs are willing but the heart don't like it. Easy HR goes from 135 to 150.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning!

SRD for me.

Scotty sorry about all the frustrations with the pictures. Glad you were able to fix your RR I will go back and  see the pics! Sounds like you had a really lovely weekend of running!

Dave can't wait to read the RR.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Philliefan33

Good morning everyone.  Surprised to see Scotty start the thread, until I realized he started last night...

Saturday I did my last LR before my HM -- my longest to date (12.5 miles).  It felt great, I ran at a comfortable pace the whole time and ended up with an overall pace of 11:15.  It was a flat run on a cinder path along the Lehigh River --  a nice confidence booster for me since my legs have been dead lately and I had to take an URD last week.  For the next ten days I plan to keep my running frequency the same but lower the mileage.

Anyone else tracking some of the forumites running at Boston?  I can't wait until my phone starts dinging with updates!

tracilynn

Busy day here already. Lots of tapering and recovery going on. It's racing season for sure.

Posting pics here is such a pain. I wish they could do something like FB on the iPhone. You just push one little button and its done.

Hope to run 2 miles today. Fun day for me as we get out new kitchen cabinets installed today.  feeding a family of 6 with no kitchen, no appliances, no sink, no dishes is loads of fun and owe have at least another week without. Argh.

Happy Monday everyone

~~~~~~~

Traci