Beginners and Beyond

Muckety-Muck Monday Penguins! (Read 33 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Oh, yeah, I'm tracking a bunch of people./  Very exciting!

Damaris

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good morning Penguins!

Woohoo - it's tax day people!

Anyway at work here so my weekend included a 5 miler on Sat and a 6 miler with 2 hill sprints last night . That gives me 35 for the week! Rest day for me and I might hit the gym for some weight training.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Dad on the run.

Traci - This goes out to a few other people as well. I think the reason you can't just simply upload a photo like you can with facebook or even Runnersworld is the person who does this website probably don't have the resources to enable that feature. He does this for free and in order to allow for pictures to be uploaded straight from your PC would require some pretty decent storage space on his part. Runnersworld and Facebook makes millions so buying a few storage servers probably isn't a big deal for them. Its a lot more cost effective to simply allow a photo link rather than photo uploading. In case anyone was wondering Smile

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Zelanie

Morning, pens!  RD for me. Smile  Running late so I'll see you later!

One Half So Far

Hey folks. Still alive Smile

Finished my first half marathon yesterday. Same one Zel did, but slower. Put what will pass as a RR on yesterday's penguin thread.

Feeling ok today. Will do that again, but perhaps a different plan. Did Higdon novice 2.

Hope everyone is well today.

PR: 5K 26:34 (Would have been faster if I hadn't had to tie my shoe), 5M: 43:10, 10K: 54:51. First HM 4/14/13 2:03:23

6/1: Moonlight 5M, Springfield 43:10

7/4 Butte to Butte 10K, Eugene

7/21 Run in the Country HM, Coburg

Another HM sometime in October or November.  Several to choose from.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

What up, Penguins?!?! So I got out of the habit of checking in on these threads when the group moved over here...yes I'm a slacker. But not on my running, I've been slowly increasing my distances and frequency, so that I'm up to 5 days a week. This week will be my first 6 mile run and my first 20+ mile week! *fistpump*

I'm gearing up for the Spirit Scamper 5K on May 4 here in Birmingham. Any of the Alabama folks planning to run that one? That will be my second 5K, and my goal is < 29:00, we'll see how it goes. Fast for me, but still well within the Penguin range Cool

From the Internet.

Hi colony! Busy as per usual, but today may be a bit quieter - reagent I need for an experiment hasn't arrived so it will likely be put off until tomorrow or Wednesday.

Up at 6 for my 30 minutes of walk/jog this morning. 4 minutes walk, 6 minutes jog, legs felt a little bit stiff/dead after yesterday's lifting session (I deadlifted 187.5 pounds at a bodyweight of 122 Big grin) but warmed out of it okay. Wednesday I'll bump it up to 3 minutes walk, 7 jog, and my coach said to try picking up the pace a little bit and see how my legs do. Not to worry, I'll only be moving it from "shuffle" to "easy" Wink

I may in fact get around to personals in a bit - hope you all have a great Monday Smile

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

On Sunday (April 13) I did 2 runs...one in the morning at a local park and then one at 6 pm in Devine, Texas (about 30 miles from San Antonio).  It was hot - 89 degrees and 85% humidity; I had Damaris'  Miami weather! Shocked.  Still an interesting run.  I manged to plug away for 3 miles, and.....

I met these fellows...

Now, how many people can say they got to pat an Emu on the head while out on a run? Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Dad on the run.

SO42 - So good to see you! I had been wondering if you were still running or if you gave up on it. I'm very glad to see you sticking with it. I'm not running the race on the 4th. We have 2 races coming up next month though, we have the Spring Scramble in homewood on the 18th. Its a 5k then my wife and I are running a 10k on memorial day in Huntsville.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

B - Congrats on being first!

Scotty - Yeah, picture posting is my only gripe, but I think I've got it figured out.  That's a nice looking route you've got there.

Jack - After that last 5K of yours, I'm looking forward to seeing your next HM.  Keep up the great work, and enjoy your taper.

Bin - Are you looking to add doubles, or is it just out of convenience for today?

D - You're fast on the road, and slow on the RR...lol  Not a bad problem to have.  I look forward to hearing about it.

jbj - Way to keep up the good work, and help others along the way.  That's awesome.

Jerry - My miles were down last week to.  I'm just going to consider that break, and the race I had as a part of my training.  No sleep lost here.  After the race you had last weekend, I think I'd take an easy week too.

Damaris - Can I just tell you how weird it is to hear that you're freaking out about a race?  I'm just saying.

Kristin - Enjoy the RD.

Phillie - I'm trying to check on runners as often as I can with work and all.  I'm betting that you're legs feel great after the taper, and I hope you have a blast at your HM.  Congrats on the 12.5

Traci - I'm a huge fan of home improvement.  I wish I had a project going on right now.  It can be stressful in the moment, but when it's done its the best feeling ever.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Penguins!!  I had a blast competing this weekend, and I am exhausted today!!  Our contest scores sucked, but since we've only been singing together a few months, we went there with the intention of gaining contest experience and having fun, which definitely happened, so woo-hoo!!  And the other three in my quartet sing in the chorus that won the chorus competition, so that's all good as well!!  We sang around the different choruses' hospitality suites afterwards, so I got to bed about 1 AM Saturday ... or I guess Sunday morning by that time.  Then we got up for a fire alarm at about 6AM (false alarm, thankfully) and got up again around 9 AM to pack up, check out, and head home.  It was fun!!

Here's our pic right after we got off the stage, I'm the one on the right:

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - You're up to 35 already?  All that cross training must have really paid off.

Zel - That's an earned rest day.

J.Drumm - Congrats man!  I missed the RR, but will have to go back to check it out.  Now that you've got one under your belt, you'll probably benefit by a more advanced program.

StartingOver - Good to see you again.  Congrats on the new mileage.

Lauren - Good progress.  Ever consider competing in deadlift too?  That's my old game.

Scotty - Somebody should really pick you up as a photographer...lol  There's got to be a way for you to make money doing what you do.  Thank you for the entertainment.

AFM - P3 and I went for a bike ride yesterday.  She's decided to start base building now for her first HM in November.  I told her that Jack Daniels recommends 30 minutes a day, but since she's fairly new and never run that many consecutive days, I also told her that if she needs a break to listen to her body.  She can always get on the bike for 30 minutes, or walk the dog at a brisk pace for 30 minutes.  She's got plenty of time, and there's no need to push too hard at this point.

My run today will consist of going to pick up my car again.  It's getting new shocks.  That will be about 5 1/2 miles.  My base building doesn't start until after our wedding in mid-May.  Until then, I won't really have a set plan.  I'm coming off of a pretty intense program (for me) for the Chi Town Half, which was followed by a reverse taper, a 50 mile week, another taper week and then my first 10K.  My body feels great, but I still think I'm going to take it a little easy for a while.  I'm going to shorten up my runs, and try to cut back on my rest days.  I usually take 2 rest days a week.  I'm just going to shorten up the runs, and run daily.  I think this will help when I get into my base building in May.  I just think that 50-60 miles is tougher to get on 5 days of running, than it will be on 7.  It will also give me the freedom to take a rest day when I need one instead of when I have one scheduled.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Jack, good luck with taper madness!  You can get through it!  And will do great for your HM!

yeah, bin, lol...I am going to be the one who runs behind all of them and picks up all the trash from the streets... I anticipate a finish time of about 10 hours... Joking   Glad you are feeling better.  Take it easy...step by step, get in what you can.  You'll be back to your old self in no time.

Good luck with your miles, Dave!  Looking forward to your report!

Wow, Jimmy, you built a TRX system?  Nice!  Umm, what's a TRX system? Wink  Enjoy it!

Your weekly mileage sounds a lot like mine, Jerry, lol.   Congrats on your miles!

Thanks so much, Damaris, much appreciated!  I will let Ed know.   I call him "Mr. Ed."  He calls me "Wilburrrr"...lol.

Thanks, Kristin.  I'm just whining...don't pay attention to it.  Gail already gave me a good Gibbs head-slap about it, lol. Enjoy your rest day.

Nice running, Margo!  Happy tapering!  You will do great for your half!

Good luck with your miles, Traci!  Enjoy that new kitchen!  Which means...you're making dinner for all the Penguins, right?

Congrats on your 35 mile week, Gustav!

Posted by Jimmy:  He does this for free and in order to allow for pictures to be uploaded straight from your PC would require some pretty decent storage space on his part. Runnersworld and Facebook makes millions so buying a few storage servers probably isn't a big deal for them. Its a lot more cost effective to simply allow a photo link rather than photo uploading. In case anyone was wondering.  Good point, thanks for reminding me, Jimmy.  I really do like this forum and the log here and sincerely appreciate all the guy here does for us...I'm just 'venting out' about my photo frustration, don't pay attention to it.  I do figure it out eventually.

Enjoy the RD, Zelanie!

Congrats on your HM, J. Drumm!  Will read your report soon.

Lot of 'firsts' for you this week SO42, good luck with them!  And with your upcoming 5K!

Congrats on your workout, Lauren! Keep at it!  Sorry about your experiment.

Yeah, picture posting is my only gripe, but I think I've got it figured out.    Then tell me, Awood! Joking Well, as Jimmy said, the guy is doing this all for free, so I appreciate that, and what we do have.   Good luck to P3!  And good luck with your mileage plans!  Umm, if you are always running to your car, you probably need these - http://www.seatshield.com/ - .  I got a set about 10 years ago and they are still going strong!  No, I don't get a commission, lol, just passing on info about a good product.

Nice photo, HsM!  Sounds like you had a lot of fun at the contest.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Scotty - Thanks for the heads up.  Those are a great idea, and the price is very reasonable.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Dad on the run.

Hard to believe how one can have over a minute lead and then just get blown by near the end of the race. wow.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.