Beginners and Beyond

National Tourism Day Wednesday Penguins (Read 27 times)

obiebyke

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

obiebyke

I'd love to be a tourist today. New Zealand? C25K W6D2 on tap for after work. I have to leave early so I can rush home to give my cat his pain meds. He is being a trooper! I skipped Bodypump last night for him, and though I mean to do an exercise ball workout, it didn't happen.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  SRD for me.

I would love to go to New Zealand.  Count me in.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

No run today for me.  Going to get my haircut after work - funny, after having served 24 years in the military, if my hair just starts touching my ears, it drives me crazy, lol.  And in Texas summers I tend to get it cut REALLY short.  After that I will be meeting Gail at home and we will go do a weight training workout. She has an appointment with one of the Y staff to assess her personal weight training goals and then give her a lesson on how to do all appropriate weights to get where she wants to be.  While she is doing that - which I figure is better than me trying to show her, probably save a lot of argument, I am not a very patient teacher-type person - I will be doing my own personal weight training circuit.

Sorry about your ankle, Damaris, hope it heals quickly.  Enjoy your dinner tonite.

Thanks for starting us, obiebyke.  Good luck with your program progress!  New Zealand is nice, but I didn't get to see much of it, was only there a few days during my time in the military, would love to go back some day.   Just watch out you don't step on any Hobbits during movie filming....

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I'd love to be a tourist today. New Zealand? C25K W6D2 on tap for after work. I have to leave early so I can rush home to give my cat his pain meds. He is being a trooper! I skipped Bodypump last night for him, and though I mean to do an exercise ball workout, it didn't happen.

Good morning Obie. Congrats to the Wild.

Hi Docket.

Scott, I need a haircut too.  Not so much on top.

I will be touring the forest preserve bike path this afternoon. 3.5?

From the Internet.

Morning pens! I took all of last week off after Monday - was feeling totally run down and awful and anxious, I haven't taken a week to do absolutely nothing since last winter so it was probably for the best. I ran 4.5 at sub-10:00 pace Monday (not on purpose - planned for 3 at recovery pace just to ease back in but felt really good) and a quick mile on the treadmill before lifting yesterday, legs seem to be back in order. If my shins start acting up again after another run or two I think it will be doctor time, but I'm hoping that won't be the case. Tried to wake up to run this morning but was too tired (and admittedly a little scared that my shins will flare up again - sucks to have that fear back in my life), so just yoga at lunchtime, running tomorrow morning.

Philliefan33

Good morning.

Obie -- New Zealand would be cool, but it's such a long plane ride.  For now i will stick to watching LOTR movies

DR -- enjoy your rare RD

Scotty -- I started cutting DH's hair last year.  He's frugal, and it bothered him to pay $8 for a haircut.  (Okay, maybe he's cheap.)  Anyway, he bought a pair of clippers and I do the clipping with him instructing me.  Every time, I tell him that my rate is $15 per cut but I have yet to see any cash.

Jerry -- a forest trail sounds like a lovely place to run

Lauren - Namaste

AFM -- Yesterday I did four miles, at what was supposed to be recovery pace but ended up being faster.  Oh well, I was just running by feel and I guess I felt like going a little faster.  Tonight will be 5 ish miles at comfortable pace.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Got my 4.5 in last night........outdoors even!!

Lauren, rest is good!  Take the time, even just from workouts, remember the body needs to fix those micro-tears to make you stronger the next time!!

I have had good success with an every-other-day routine since my knee issue and if that's what it takes, then I'm glad for it.  If it's a "some" or "nothing" choice, I'll take the "some" every time!

Randy

From the Internet.

Got my 4.5 in last night........outdoors even!!

Lauren, rest is good!  Take the time, even just from workouts, remember the body needs to fix those micro-tears to make you stronger the next time!!

I have had good success with an every-other-day routine since my knee issue and if that's what it takes, then I'm glad for it.  If it's a "some" or "nothing" choice, I'll take the "some" every time!

That's what I keep telling myself! Take a day or a few days off at the first sign of trouble, so I don't have to take 1-2 months or more later. Long-term goals over short-term gratification. And the yoga is certainly helping with mindfulness/destressing from managing my glass legs, haha.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  You know how you're never a tourist in your own back yard?  Yeah, we've lived in central Virginia for 11 years now, but we haven't been to Williamsburg yet.  We've been up to DC a few times though, and we've seen Monticello, Mt. Vernon, and Montpelier!!  So I guess we're doing ok.  Quartet rehearsal tonight!!

obie -- glad the kitty is doing ok!!  Good luck with C25k, you are rocking it!

Docket -- have a good SRD!!  That means 30 minutes of weights and an hour bike ride, yes?

scotty -- enjoy the cool on your head, and have a good weight circuit!!

Jerryb -- have a good bike path tour!!

Lauren -- glad you took the week off, sounds like you really needed it!!  Enjoy your lunchtime yoga!!

Phillie -- I'm sure it's a good thing that your easy-feeling pace was faster!!

redrum -- glad you've got your knee issues figured out!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

Obiebyke - I'd love to go to New Zealand and Australia.  I'd love to go just about anywhere.  I have a couple of friends who are travel writers (buckettripper.com) and they get to see so many interesting places.  With our income though, camping is as exotic as we get.  I'm glad your cat is doing better.

Damaris - same ankle issue, or a new one?

Scotty - DH likes his hair super short, so I now cut it.  As short as it is, it's hard to mess up too badly, and if I do, I can always just shave it.

Jerry - enjoy the forest preserve.  I love running in the woods.

Lauren - smart to take time off when running is no longer fun.  I hope the shin behaves.  I know how it is after an injury; every time I feel a twinge in my pelvic area, I worry.

Margo - fun when our easy effort is faster than expected.  Enjoy your five tonight.

Redrum - I'm glad the winds died down for you yesterday.  Enjoy your RD today.

HM - we spent a weekend in Williamsburg in December a few years ago. I really enjoyed it.  But you're right, when we lived outside DC, we never toured the town.  I went in to work, but DH avoided it like the plague.  I think we went to visit the war memorials once, and that was it. I never even got to see the cherry blossoms :-(

AFM:  We had planned to do a long hike today, but ate breakfast to the sound of thunder and a huge rainstorm that hasn't stopped yet.  I may end up on the TM later.

Docket_Rocket

Morning, Penguins!!  You know how you're never a tourist in your own back yard?  Yeah, we've lived in central Virginia for 11 years now, but we haven't been to Williamsburg yet.  We've been up to DC a few times though, and we've seen Monticello, Mt. Vernon, and Montpelier!!  So I guess we're doing ok.  Quartet rehearsal tonight!!

obie -- glad the kitty is doing ok!!  Good luck with C25k, you are rocking it!

Docket -- have a good SRD!!  That means 30 minutes of weights and an hour bike ride, yes?

scotty -- enjoy the cool on your head, and have a good weight circuit!!

Jerryb -- have a good bike path tour!!

Lauren -- glad you took the week off, sounds like you really needed it!!  Enjoy your lunchtime yoga!!

Phillie -- I'm sure it's a good thing that your easy-feeling pace was faster!!

redrum -- glad you've got your knee issues figured out!!

Haha, no.  I am having dinner with RobinCD so I won't have time.  If I could, I would do the missed miles from yesterday but I don't think I will have time to run and get pretty.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Ginny, same ankle. Remnants of the twist, I guess.  Thunder does not sound like fun.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

SheCan

That's what I keep telling myself! Take a day or a few days off at the first sign of trouble, so I don't have to take 1-2 months or more later. Long-term goals over short-term gratification. And the yoga is certainly helping with mindfulness/destressing from managing my glass legs, haha.

Exactly!

New Zealand sounds wonderful!  Count me in!

I'm actually thinking about a trip to the midwest to see family.  I'm kind of reluctant though because my DD isn't going to come and DH hadn't put in any vacation time.  Plus I'm not sure all the tornadoes are done there yet.  Hmmmm...

Yesterday i ran 4 and did 20 minutes on the stationary bike.  Today is super duper windy, so I decided to just do the bike (40 minutes) and weights.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Forest preserve bike path, that sounds nice and scenic, Jerry.   Hope you don't run into any forest creatures.

Lauren...what redrum said!  All of us eventually - hopefully WAAAAY into the future for you - are going to have to change running schedules, it happens to all of us someday, whether it be from injury, illness, or just plain old age catching up to us, none of us unfortunately can stop the aging process.  I used to run 6 days a week and now I'm down to 4 days a week.  You can't let it get to you.  Just try and stay positive and be happy that you can be out there doing whatever miles you are able to do.   Good luck.

Congrats on your outside miles, redrum.  Guess your weather is finally improving.

$8 for a haircut is actually pretty cheap, Margo.  Even at the military exchanges these days, a haircut costs $9.45.  Unless you go to the Marines barbershop cuz they are REALLY quick.  Their barbers put the clippers up close against your head, spin the chair around once or twice and then yell "Next!"       Next time you cut his hair, put a bowl over his head and give him one of those "Prince Valiant" hair cuts..I bet he goes and pays the $8 after that.     Good luck with your miles later.

How rude, Ginny, of Mother Nature to postpone your hike!  Hope your weather clears up soon.  If you do end up with the TM, then good luck with your workout.   I don't like my hair quite SUPER short, but short enough so it feels cooler when I'm running outside in the Texas warmth.  I always go to one barber at the military barbershop.  I've used her services for so long now it's gotten to the point where I don't even have to tell her how to cut it anymore, I just sit down and she goes at it.  She is also very popular with her clientele because after each haircut she gives each customer a little scalp massage, which is quite relaxing.

You know, SheCan....they do have some nude running in New Zealand. Maybe we should all go and have  Penguins Bare Buns event...and what happens in New Zealand stays in New Zealand...    Hope your trip works out for you, if you decide to go. What part of the midwest?

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt