Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins Are Blowing Down The Road! (Read 41 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Did my first real winter run this morning - ran 1.5 miles in a feels like 6 degrees. I had it all planned out last night that I would do the bike trainer for an hour and then run. So when the alarm went off and the bed wouldn't let go of me I said to myself , "I'm a runner , I can bike tomorrow and sleep in today". When the alarm rang to go running I could hear the wind blowing and I had to deal with the "mind vs. body" battle  going on in my head. Well I couldn't blow off the first day of my Higdon plan, so off I went. That's 1.5 miles more down the road of recovery!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Down 10 pounds on the year already.

I have a 2 mile warmup tonight.  Then, it's 4X (1 mile Tempo pace followed by 1 minute Easy).  Finally, a 2 mile cool down.

Today's high is 11 with a real feal of -6.  I hate doing that many miles on a treadmill, but we're also getting lake effect snow.  That means crappy visibility and traction for cars.  Seems like the safe way is indoors :-(

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Gustav - yeah, we penguins should feel right at home in this weather.  LOL  1 F here, with a -15 F windchill.   You won't catch me running in this!

Awood - excellent!  Keep it up!

AFM - I may try to get in a couple more easy miles on the dreadmill after work.  Legs/feet feel great today.  COLD outside (as mentioned).  They've even cancelled school but I have a feeling that has more to do with snow-bad roads than the cold.

Stay warm everyone and have a great day.

hog4life

I may try for 4-5 easy again this evening. For those that didn't see yesterday, I have histoplasmosis which is treatable with antibiotics.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Mitch - glad to hear you got your results and it is treatable.

Jen2011

Good morning!

Gustav, great job beating that voice in your head!  Congrats on completing day 1 of your plan!

Awood, that's some amazing weight loss!  Keep up the great work, and enjoy your run (even though it's on the treadmill!).

Vance, brrrrrr!  Smart idea staying in and getting some miles on the treadmill!

Mitch, so glad to hear your good news!  Enjoy the miles later!

AFM, I'll hit the treadmill this evening too.

Have a great day everyone!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I may try for 4-5 easy again this evening. For those that didn't see yesterday, I have histoplasmosis which is treatable with antibiotics.

I'm not a doctor, but that sounds like a better option than the alternative.  I hope the antibiotics do their job, and you're 100% real soon.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Mitch - wow, heal up well.  I (obviously) missed that part of the discussion yesterday.  I just went back and read it.  Well, it is a weird mixed blessing, yeah?  Heal up fast, man.  Enjoy your miles later.

Jenn - 'mornin!  Treadmill is a good, although still EVIL, option in this weather.  LOL

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Penguins.  That is great news Mitch.

It's 0 in Chicago, -13 wind chill and -8 dewpoint.  Only time I will be outside today will be running to/from the car.

Going to the health club after work and use the weight machines, then do 30 minutes of intervals, repeats, fartliks (whatever) on the treadmill and do a few with inclines to get ready for those Tennessee hills.  That's the plan anyway.

Stay warm  Cool

Philliefan33

Good morning everyone.

Add me to the list of Penguins opting for the treadmill today.  I might venture outside later this week, but not today!

I'll either do 6-7 easy miles or ~5 with some speed work, it will depend on my mood.

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning penguins! Smile

I must be the only one that likes running in the cold lol  Altho, the wind chill was only 17* this morning, so not as bad as some of you.  8 miles done, good run.  Stretched and ran on the wrong side of the road (wore a rear facing bright red light, in addition to my Xinglet), ITB felt great. I think road camber was a contributing factor, so I'm going to switch it up on the road and try to do more trail runs, while continuing to stretch.

Awood, great job on the weight loss, keep it up!

Mitch, so glad to hear that it's treatable!

Hope everyone has a great day!  Try to stay warm. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 13 on the schedule.

Busy day at work so I might be back sporadically.  Behave!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jen16226

Good morning......seems like alot of us Penguins have the cold weather.

It's 7 here right now.  Needless to say, I will be another one on the treadmill this evening doing 8x400.  I got 3.5 miles in last night.  Slowly but surely my miles are adding up!  Saturday will be my longest run ever at 5 miles.  Nervous, but since I now have it in my head that I do not need to try and break the land speed record, I think I will be OK.

I also have some additional motivation for this.

On Friday, I told my DH (which in this case is standing for D!#* Head) that my kids (he has 3 that do not live with us FT, I have 2 that do) and I were going down to FL in March, to which he was happy for us to be able to go.  I then told him I was going to do my 10K down there, to which he gave me a look and then kind of chuckled at me and asked if wouldn't I be better off doing 5K because 10K might not be doable.  I am paraphrasing there with exact wording, but basically it came down to he doesn't think I can do it which HIGHLY pissed me off.

Can you guess what I am now replaying in my head and dramatically(because that's how I am) adding onto each time I run?????

Thank you to those that guided me toward the Balaclava.  I will definitely be placing an order today for one.  Thankfully Running Warehouse has the 2 day shipping so I would have it in time for Saturday's run....as long as there isn't snow or ice.  Our streets in my dinky town are cobblestone to get to the trail.  Cobblestone is NOT fun to walk on, let alone run on, with the slightest wetness.

Gustav- Way to get up and do it!!!!

Awood- Great job on your weight loss!!!  Where do you live?

N-Bug- Yeah your temps are worse than mine....stay in.

Hog- Wow on that virus!!! I hope that the anti-biotics kick in and help soon!!!

Jen- Have a great day!

Jerry- Enjoy the gym today.

Philliefan- Enjoy your day....indeed, too cold out there.

Dave- Good job on your run!

Damaris- Enjoy your 13.....I will be striving for that over the summer!

Alrighty....time to work.

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning! Haven't checked in for a few days....my boyfriend was visiting and I didn't do any working out. We took his dog on several long walks and my knee started bothering me a lot. That's all for me.... stay warm!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to