Beginners and Beyond

I think this is ok, but what do you think? (Read 133 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

No one likes race bandits. Since I was a kid I have always been a rule follower. You know where this is going...  A friend of mine signed up for the LA Marathon many months ago. Yesterday he tells me he is not running it (March 9) because he is has to have ankle surgery. He has a cyst that has to be removed and it involves drilling into the bone. He offered me his bib so I could run.  I have no chance for an AG award, I plan on treating it like a very long, easy run, and I might even bring my phone (which I NEVER do) and take a bunch of pictures along the way, like Scotty does. I would be one of over 25,000 runners and I'm not sneaking into the race. The bib is paid for and if I do it I will even offer my friend half of the entry fee. What do you think?

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Does the race allow for bib transfer? If it isn't in their rules or on their site an email to the RD to ask.   If they do allow, I don't have a problem with it. I'm a rule follower, though.

Marjorie

Docket_Rocket

Check the rules.  I don't recall if they allowed for bib transfers.  If they don't, I would not do it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

Jack, I agree with checking the rules first. But you know what? Even if the rules don't allow it and you decide to run it anyway, I won't think anything less of you. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hip Redux

This bothers me less than people running without paying for the bib.

happylily

This bothers me less than people running without paying for the bib.

+1

Nevrgivup

I would also check the rules. I'm a rule follower so if it wasn't ok, than I wouldn't do it. I always thought it was weird that a runner doesn't mind another runner "impersonating" themselves in a race and than have it shown up in results. You are the only one to figure out what to do. You will get mixed opinions from others.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

MothAudio

You're not a bandit because you're running with an official bib number. You'd just be running as someone you're not. This isn't anything I would encourage but I've seen it happen many times. Another possibility is to pull off the course just before the finish since you're treating it as a training run. That way neither of you have a false race result on your resume' and the A/G placement would be unaffected. It's ironic how some people think it's ok to break one rule but not others, but I digress.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Love the Half

Check the rules.  I don't recall if they allowed for bib transfers.  If they don't, I would not do it.

Agreed.  I am normally not a rules follower but this is an exception.  One of the problems is this.  Whoever registered for that bib had to put in emergency contact information.  In the unlikely event that something bad did happen to you, they wouldn't be trying to notify your family - they would be trying to notify your friend's family.  You can imagine his wife's reaction (or other person he put on the form) if he/she received a phone call saying that your friend was in the hospital or whatever.  Bad scene.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

You're not a bandit because you're running with an official bib number. You'd just be running as someone you're not. This isn't anything I would encourage but I've seen it happen many times. Another possibility is to pull off the course just before the finish since you're treating it as a training run. That way neither of you have a false race result on your resume' and the A/G placement would be unaffected. It's ironic how some people think it's ok to break one rule but not others, but I digress.

That's a great idea, Mike!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I'm not trying to break any rules and I will look into it. I also like what LtH said about the chance of an emergency.

MothAudio

My comment wasn't directed toward you.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

onemile

I'd do it. I don't think it's a big deal. I'd probably take the chip off though.

Little Blue

I like Moth's response.  The bib/services/supplies have been paid for.  It isn't stealing, which is how I think of banditing.  As to the emergency concern, presumable your friend and his wife/family would be aware that you're out there.  And your wife, if you have one.  You wouldn't be some random stranger on the course with no ID.

I've often suspected that the reason some races don't allow bib transfers is because it could be an administrative nightmare.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

My friend's wife is running in it.