Beginners and Beyond

Get Up Off That Thing, TUESDAILIES! (Read 259 times)

Docket_Rocket

Nice distance.  We don't have that distance down here.  I wonder how I would pace for it.  No idea.

Good luck!

It's just a ten-miler, but I haven't run ten miles since last May, so...

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

B-Plus

11.2 @ 8:15 and it was raining like a mofo.

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

Nice distance.  We don't have that distance down here.  I wonder how I would pace for it.  No idea.

Good luck!

I'm planning on pacing for it like a half, only with the luxury of not having to run the last three miles.

In transit, arriving on time. 

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

10 mile? I think you could pace it between a 15K and a half, probably closer to a 15K. In fact, I'd probably try to run it at 15K pace with the understanding that it's only 7/10 of a mile longer. I mean, if you can cover 9.3, 10 isn't much more.

I'll be running one in June so I have a little time to ponder this strategy.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I now have a pins and needles sensation all down my leg. Did I overdo the foam rolling? Ugh enough already, no more pain!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

10 mile? I think you could pace it between a 15K and a half, probably closer to a 15K. In fact, I'd probably try to run it at 15K pace with the understanding that it's only 7/10 of a mile longer. I mean, if you can cover 9.3, 10 isn't much more.

I'll be running one in June so I have a little time to ponder this strategy.

Good point. I've only run one 15k ages ago and I don't remember how I paced it. I'd probably break it up into three segments, 4-3-3. Won't really be racing it, though, as I'm far from race shape.

In transit, arriving on time. 

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

For those running 10 mile races....I have one in June. How are you training? I was going to follow the Hal Higdon Novice 1 HM training plan. I figured it would make sense since the longest LR in that plan is 10 miles anyway.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

We have a big 10 mile race in my neck of the woods and last year I was in the middle of my marathon cycle. This year I'll be in the middle of my goal HM cycle.  In other words, I didn't really train specifically for the distance. As for racing it, since that race falls in the middle of a longer distance training cycle I just plugged my times in McMillan and went for it.  Hard to tell if that worked last year, as it was hot as hell and all my good plans went out the window on race day.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Well, my 10 miler is a little way down the road, but what I'm doing for my 15K race in March is basically a cross between the Higden intermediate Half marathon plan and the Ryan Hall HM plan, but adjusted slightly downward in mileage to match the 9.3 mile race. Basically, my longest run between now and the 15K will be 11 miles. I don't see anything wrong with adapting a half marathon plan to meet a 15K or a 10 miler myself.

Take this with a grain of salt - I've only run 2 15K races and one half marathon in my life, so I'm not exactly a seasoned pro here. But I'm confident that this will prepare me well for the upcoming race, and I'll probably hone and repeat the training for the 10 miler in June.

You're not running the Towpath 10-10 ten miler in Cleveland in June, are you Kristen? That's what I'll be running.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

LRB

We have a big 10 mile race in my neck of the woods and last year I was in the middle of my marathon cycle. This year I'll be in the middle of my goal HM cycle.  In other words, I didn't really train specifically for the distance. As for racing it, since that race falls in the middle of a longer distance training cycle I just plugged my times in McMillan and went for it.  Hard to tell if that worked last year, as it was hot as hell and all my good plans went out the window on race day.

The Crim?  That's when everyone in the state is in Flint racing it.  It's a good day to race elsewhere if you're into age group bling.

I came in second overall once and first male doing just that!  (shh, for shame, for shame)

Better I Leave

Four miles tonight on the treadmill of interval work. I've never done interval work, but I'm hoping it might help my overall pace quicker over time.

The Crim?  That's when everyone in the state is in Flint racing it.  It's a good day to race elsewhere if you're into age group bling.

I came in second overall once and first male doing just that!  (shh, for shame, for shame)

LOL yeah I can imagine it would be a good time. And ding ding ding, yes the Crim. Love that race, but I'm not sure why. Every time I've ran it, it's been hotter than ****.  Prob cuz before I was a runner I went to this race when my wife ran it. The whole atmosphere impressed me and I think this planted the seed for me to get it in gear.

PineGroveDave, I'm finding that intervals do help with that.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

You're not running the Towpath 10-10 ten miler in Cleveland in June, are you Kristen? That's what I'll be running.

Nope the Baltimore 10 miler in June. Bummer!

runmomto3boys

Catty: Nice 5 miler!  I am excited to hear about the 10 mile race.  I love your pacing strategy...hehe.

13 miles done at 8:51 pace outside instead of the track with my new insoles (feel super funky).  No IT band issues still.  I think I'm over it.