Beginners and Beyond

Hey Tuesday Penguins - It's Not Just Coffee, It's Thinking Juice! (Read 34 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good morning penguins!

Zelanie - I'm thinking it has to be a metabolism thing. The more people I talk to, the more common it seems to be.I actually bought those hand warmer packs, but I have not used them yet.

10.5 miles last night in feels like 14 with some occasional snow blowing and assorted patches of black ice. Still mulling over the idea of doing a half and putting a plan together in my head.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

LRB

Coffee, did someone call me?! 

Have a good day peeps!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Supposed to swim after work but I may skip it if I'm sick of walking around in the cold. My car is parked far, I will have to park far from work, and afterwards I have Homecare in which I need to park 4 separate times, each time usually far. I will need to park far from the pool so by then in may say screw it. But it is the only day I can swim this week so maybe I'll suck it up. I haven't been outside yet to see how bad -22 really feels.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

hog4life

Kristin, bundle up for sure!

Gustav, nice miles.

Rick, my coffee will come later.

I'm up early to drink my contrast, then heading out shortly for my CT scan.  I did 4 miles last night in feels like -5. I couldn't believe it, but I was sweating like crazy! Probably had too many layers on. It's 6 degrees this morning, brrr, better than 95 IMO.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

BRRRRRRR!   Woke up this morning to 24 degrees!  Thought I was back in freakin' Ohio again!  In Boerne, which is the beginning of Texas Hill Country, and only about 30 minutes or so from San Antonio, the temp is 16!  I know these temps are not cold to you 'real winter' folks, but South Texans don't know how to deal with it!  Drivers are speeding along the roads as if they're thinking the faster they go they can beat the cold, crazy idiots.  Crashes all over the place around the city this morning.  I took my time and took the back, less traveled roads to work, and had a nice uneventful drive, thank goodness.

Well, the cold usually does not last long around here, thank goodness.   We will be heating up today to the upper 50s and by tomorrow morning we will be back to normal for us, with a high of near 60 and a 'low' in the morning of 48 degrees.   I plan on getting about 3 - 4 easy miles in after work today, probably on some trails in one of the many available local parks I have to run in.  No running on the Riverwalk, though, for about a week or so.  The yearly 'draining and cleaning' of the San Antonio Riverwalk is underway, so all the paths there are closed till that is completed.  It's pretty amazing, and sometimes downright funny, what odd things the folks find that was below the water after the river is drained.  And sad too...people throwing stuff in the river, how rude.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I wore too many layers. Haha. Didn't even turn the heat on in my car because I was sweating lol. Oops.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good luck with the training and the half, if you decide to do it, Gustav.

No coffee for me, LRB, but I am sitting here drinking a hot cup of hot chocolate.

Kristin, with your foot, I'm surprised your doc does not give you one of those temporary 'disabled' placards.  You might want to ask him/her about getting one.

Good luck with the CT scan, Mitch, hope you get good results!   Yeah, crazy cold weather, it's always a challenge deciding how much or how little to put on for the weather when you go run.  When I lived in Ohio it was especially crazy and challenging cuz Ohio winter weather was kind of like the winter weather I experienced when living in England....darn stuff can change in about 10 to 15 minutes or so...and then change back again!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  7 recovery miles tonight.

Apparently, they forgot my caramel on my caramel soy latte.  Bah.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Morning!  MLR for me tonight, so 9-10.  Probably just a light rain here, so not anything like what the rest of the US is having to contend with.

Gustav- That is interesting.  I am trying to go in to my runs just a little better fueled after reading your posts here, and it does help.  The problem I have is that it doesn't stop me from eating more after my runs too!

LRB- We know how to get your attention when we need it!

kristin- -22 sounds horrendous.  Good luck with your day, whatever you decide.

Mitch- Good luck today.  I'll be thinking of you!

Scotty- That's cool that they drain and clean the riverwalk.  Hope they don't find anything too "interesting" this year! 

D- Clearly you need to get another latte. Smile

Docket_Rocket

Shari, I agree.  I also have the free coffee for January mug, so they owe me.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Chilly here, as it is pretty much everywhere.  They've canceled schools where I live, although I think the kids at the local high school are still in trailers from the earthquake a couple of years ago.  So that makes sense.  But it's not like the roads were bad.  Quartet practice tonight, woo-hoo!!  We have coaching this weekend, so we have to get our sing on!

Gustav -- sounds like a chilly run!!

Howdy, LRB!!

kristin -- I would totally wuss out.  Good luck!!

hog -- reminds me, I need to schedule a CT scan myself ...  enjoy the liter of Tang!

scotty -- at least they won't find a Scottydog in the river!

Docket -- sorry about the coffee mix-up!!

Zelanie -- have a good MLR!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

I ran 5.5 miles last night and the PF was not bad. Yes, it is still there but I can run through it.  I am still golf balling it, icing, and stretching and I think I am going to try some new inserts. Unfortunately, now the Achilles tendon on my OTHER leg is bugging me so I have to ice and stretch that as well. Dang, it's tough getting old.

Also, I think I mentioned that I had already signed up for a marathon that is at the end of May. My plan was to go for a faster BQ time but now that is out the window. DW also signed up for it so I will be training with her. Her goal is to run a sub 4:00 so I am going to help her try to get that. It will be less miles at a slower pace for me and that should be fine with my aches and pains.

See ya and have a good day.

SheCan

Hahaha@ thinking juice!  I love it, Gus!

LRB-- Hey ya!

kristin-- I have no idea how bad it feels, but it sure sounds bad.  What a sucky day to have to walk around out there.  Hoping it won't be that bad when you get around.

Mitch-- yeah, even in cold our bodies will warm up.  Seems impossible though that you could dress warm enough to sweat though at neg 5*.  Ugh @ contrast dye.  Doesn't it make you sick?  Got my fingers crossed for you to get good results.  Hey, how is your friends wife?  Is she still doing alright now?

Scotty-- hope you find some neat trails to run on this week.  So they drain the river every year?  So now if I move to TX, I know where NOT to hide the bodies...

DR-- good luck on the 7 tonight.  Ugh@ them forgetting the caramel.

Zel-- good luck on your run tonight also!

HsM-- did they cancel school because of the low temps?  Or are you having ice and snow also?

Jack-- it sounds like you're doing good.  Just be careful with the PF.  Where is the marathon y'all signed up for?  I bet your wife can do it especially with y'all working together.

I haven't ran yet.  I'm being lazy.  Yesterday my DD and I went for a shop til you drop day in Tucson, and didn't get home until after 10 last night.  My feet were so sore, and she kept saying "Shut up, you're a runner."  Mean child.   Anyway, I'll probably go for about 5 miles in a bit, after my coffee.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Singer who runs a smidge

Just for the cold -- it's dry and sunny outside.  Looks like a gorgeous day ... until you get out in the cold!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.