Beginners and Beyond

Pain on INSIDE of right knee?? (Read 65 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

So... I haven't really been posting in the dailies and such this week. It is mostly because I am a bit in denial... but I think I have a right knee injury Sad :'(

I don't think it is anything that HAPPENED, likely some kind of overuse injury I think (I never twisted it, fell on it, ect.... there was no point at which it first started hurting, just a bit into a run it "feels funny")

Now I know strangers on the internet can't properly diagnose me. I know only a doctor can. But, seeing as I don't currently have any health insurance, and you all were WAY WAY more helpful for when I had ITBS than my ACTUAL doctor was, I figured I would see if anyone has ever had anything like what I am about to describe.

The pain (now I say "pain" kind of loosely....it doesn't HURT per se it just...doesn't feel "right" kind of a dull ache maybe?) is in the INSIDE of my right knee. Like, the exact opposite of ITBS. It mostly only hurts when I run, not regular daily walking or even on stairs, but when I start rubbing all around my knee it kind of hurts when I rub near the inside of my right knee cap, and outer edge of the right knee.  I also have a HUGE knot in the outside of my right quad muscle- right above the knee and area of pain- that I CANNOT get out and I have had deep tissue massage, a Stick, and a foam roller. I think there may be some correlation. Dr. Google seems to suggest osteoarthritis (unlikely as I have no history of arthritis anywhere else, and am only 27), medial meniscus tear, MCL injury, chondromalacia, Runner's Knee, Patellar tendinitis, or quadruceps tendinitis. I am leaning towards the latter, mostly because the HUGE painful knot in my quad, and also, I tore the quad tendon in that knee 5 years ago.

Anyone have any ideas? Advice? Suggestions? Other than the obvious GO TO A DOCTOR.

Thanks!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Hmmm... I was gonna suggest just some typical runner's pain around the knee.  (I have pains here & there that come & go like the weather).  But when you say "knot" that could indicate something more specific than my vaguery.

I can't really think of anything specific but hopefully others will chime in.

Randy

LRS

Chasing Muses

Bursitis, depending on the exact location, is another possibility (although the knot in the quad doesn't seem to relate). I have had similar issues in my first coupke of years when I overdid it on consecutive days, and some time in the penalty box (about a week of no running) and eased back into it and the issue clears up.

Give it some full rest and see if that helps.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Wasn't this weekend your longest LR to date?

When I was first hitting longer distances on my LR's, I had some strange knee things.  Make sure to ice, compress and elevate.  That really helped me.  That helps all types of "itis".  You may need to rest it, but I wouldn't really panic yet.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

meaghansketch

I don't have experience with that specific type of knee pain, but my knee trouble always comes on when I'm working more than normal, not getting my weekday runs in, but I'm trying to at least keep my long run, and it starts being out of proportion with my other runs (ie more than 1/3 of my weekly miles).  Sound familiar?

If I were you (and I sympathize with the no health insurance situation, I was in that situation for a long time myself and it only recently changed) I would take a week off and when you come back, try to keep your long run to 1/3 of your total weekly miles.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks guys....

awood, yes Saturday's run was a distance PR

meghan, yes and that long run came after barely running that week, so it was definitely out of proportion

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

slowrunningjulie

Your knee problem could be a compensation injury related to the quad knot. If your quad is all messed up and the muscles are tight, they could be exerting uneven force on the muscles that surround your knee. In other words - Runner's Knee.

If you can't go see a doctor, check around in your area to see if any of your LRS offers free injury clinics. In my area, lots of sports docs do this as a way to get you in the door. But they will work on you and might be able to give you at least a preliminary idea of what is going on.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

RSX

Kristin,

Sorry to hear that. As you said none of us can diagnose you, but my pain was similar when I had runner's knee. If I squeezed my knee cap back then (lightly even) I felt pain if that helps. I would suggest googling that. RWOL was a big help when I had it back in 2009, but I haven't checked their injury forum since the conversion.

I had it for 18 months only because I didn't take much time off. I ran 1,400+ miles that year, and ran 26.2. I experimented with knee sleeves, and straps. The injury was a result of a quad imbalance so I built them up more via weight machines, but a lot of folks do squats.