Beginners and Beyond

Hello Thursday Penguins, wherever you are! (Read 21 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

Morning!  I had to run out the door to a meeting yesterday, boo!  But I got my tempo run in last night.  4 at tempo, 8 miles total.  And my tempo pace is now faster than my 10K PR pace from last fall.  So that's promising.  I think I'm going to run a 5K in a couple of weeks instead of the time trial in my plan.  Will it finally be time for the 2012 PR to fall?  That was the one I set the day that I raced Awood. Smile

Hope everyone is doing well and keeping warm!  Snow has finally (almost) all melted here, and it's been in the 50s and raining.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Today is an SRD for me. I ran eight days in a row largely because I didn't have time to hook up my watch to the Mac to log my workouts. Running seems to be such a habit now that when I get home I just change clothes and run. I am not getting huge mileage because of the PF (which seems to be getting better), but I am still out there.  Smile Yesterday I ran 6 miles at an 8:30ish pace with some strides. I have a 5k in April and I think I am going to tank it. I have done so much marathon and distance training that my legs have forgotten what speed is. During my strides I felt so slow and sluggish.  It was a weird feeling.

Zel: What was your tempo pace? I am excited for your 5k!

Hi everyone else. Even though it's 82 here, stay warm and be safe.

Zelanie

Jack, the speed will come back, I'm sure.

I was aiming for 8:28 for my tempos, and was a tad slower than that for 3, then ran the last mile in 8:22 with plenty left in the tank.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Zel: Nice!!  Keep your eye out for races in the summer. We might be in the Northwest this summer and DW and I can race with you. Smile

Zelanie

That sounds like fun, but I will likely be in Costa Rica for the summer. You can come race with me there!

My heel has been bugging me too, but I'm thinking maybe Achilles rather than PF. I think I am keeping it in check with a combo of gel heel inserts, a compression sock, and eccentric heel drops.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

After work yesterday I did a nice run/walk of just a tad over 3 miles around the campus of the university where I work.  Since I work 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., I got out early enough to enjoy the BEEEEYOOOTEEEFUL 62 degrees, sunshine, and blue skies, sweeeet!   After I got home, I discovered that Gail had received at work her anniversary/valentine's day flowers.  Our anniversary is actually the 14th, but I'd forgotten that I'd requested an earlier delivery date of yesterday, because Gail is off today and tomorrow and will be out-and-about, so I wanted to make sure she got them.    Here is what she got....

Photo: He loves me!

The stuffed animals are a little huggable bear...and a doggie..representing me of course!   And there were a few 'squares' of Ghiradelli chocolate included.   I guess Gail liked it all cuz I got a nice big hug, etc., when I got home from my run. .

Then, after I went to bed and got to sleep...I had weird dreams of Cherie (SheCan) and SO42 blow-drying....

Today I plan to get in about 3 - 4 miles at Fort Sam Houston.  And the weather is even BETTER today.   Again, sunny blue skies, and a temp of 78 degrees!  Singlet weather, yeah!     

After I finish my run and shower and change, I am then off to the McNay Art Museum to pick up my packet for ONE of the THREE races I am doing this weekend (two Saturday morning and one on Sunday morning).  This pickup is for the 5K the museum is sponsoring on Sunday, Feb 16 - for which the Race Director gave me FREE entry into since I am doing a photo report for them - ...and per race flyer: "Packet Pickup:  Thursday February 13 from 4-9 pm at the McNay Art Museum with a Live Band and Beer"...oh yeah!   Glad I am off work on Friday!

Friday, Feb 14th, is mine and Gail's 29th wedding anniversary, and Saturday, the 15th is Gail's birthday.  We are both off of work, so are going to tool around town and do lots of stuff...see a movie...go to the San Antonio Rodeo (I got free tickets included in my goody bag for the rodeo race I did last Saturday)...and pretty much whatever else Gail wants to do.  And Friday is supposed to be even NICER than Wed and Thursday....sunny, very low dewpoint and humidity and about 82 degrees.  For our Saturday races (Gail is doing one of them with me), and my Sunday race, morning temps in the mid-50s, low 60s, and lots of sunshine and highs, once again, in the upper 70s.    Nice of Mother Nature to give me and Gail a good weather weekend for our anniversary/birthday weekend.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

SheCan

Good morning penguin friends!

Zelanie-- that is promising!  Did you ever think that one day you'd be so fast?  Glad your snow is finally melting!  Ugh@ you having heel pain too.

Jack-- just remember, your tanking a race, is everyone else's acing it.  Though I hope that pushing the speed doesn't aggravate the PF further, but then, Aprils a ways off.  Maybe the PF will be long forgotten by then!  Enjoy your warm day!

Ginny you were asking about my taper.  Well, this isn't a goal race for me, so I didn't taper much until Monday.  With the death of my close friend Saturday (and my cousin died on Sunday) I've been too consumed with thinking about her to worry much about the race.  I did start wondering though if perhaps I'm experiencing everything more intensely because I'm tapering?  I dunno...

Today was again a short 3 mile run.  I didn't realize if I'd done something different or not, but boy I had some major coffee swishing belly going on.  Sure was glad it was a short run.  Lots of people missing from our thread today.  Does that mean that their internet has been interrupted by the snow or that that usually check in at work and aren't there today?   Anyway, stay safe, and warm today!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

SheCan

Omgosh, Scotty those flowers with the animals are so nice!  No wonder you got lots of hugs!  I'm glad you all have such a special celebratory weekend ahead.  Three races though!  You are the dog!

LMAO@ your dream!  You and my DH think alike though I swear.  Last night I was wearing his long compression socks with my shorts, and he was like "That's hawt!" I told him he was probably the only man that ever found diabetic socks a turn on.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice running for you, Zelanie!  You are getting QUITE speedy!  If we ever FE at some race in the future, I will see you before the start and after we finish, but never on the course, lol, I will be so far behind you.

I have a 5k in April and I think I am going to tank it. Jack, Jack, Jack...you need an attitude adjustment here, buddy! You're looking at this the wrong way.  OK, so you have the PF, which is giving you hell off-and-on, and probably messing with your usual speedy pace for a 5K. Yeah, it sucks.  But instead of thinking what you can't do anymore, think about what you CAN do for this 5K.  Well, if you can't RACE it, then just have fun with the damn thing.  At how many 5Ks do the speedy folks really get to enjoy the view along the way?  Not many.  So screw the time for this one!  Pull a 'Scottydog"!  Take your camera with you, run, stop for some photos, enjoy what's around you, run some more, repeat.  Finish with a smile on your face.  You'll be out there 'speeding away' again in the future, I'm sure.  But until you are 100 percent back, kick back for now, do what you can with what you have, and enjoy!

Three races at my tortoise race pace is not that bad, Cherie, lol, it's not like I'm really RACING them.  Congrats on your 3 miles today...coffee swishing belly?  Did you run too soon after ingesting?   I am so sorry about your loss of your friend and your cousin.  They will be with you in spirit on Sunday, I am sure.  Keep them in mind and heart, maybe even dedicate your event to them, to help you keep moving along.  And when you cross that finish line, I bet you will FEEL both of them right there with you. Good luck to you (((((Cherie)))).  You can do this!

Last night I was wearing his long compression socks with my shorts   Umm, can you post a photo of that?  

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Scotty: You are a very wise man. I was thinking of that and your words hit home. Believe me, I know I can't PR every time out and I won't. I am going to run it and have fun. I ran this 5k last year and it is a fun race. More importantly, there is a BEER GARDEN after the race with FREE beer. How can you not smile about that? DW and some friends will also be running it and it will be fun.

She Can: "coffe swishing belly"  lol!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Scotty: You are a very wise man. I was thinking of that and your words hit home. Believe me, I know I can't PR every time out and I won't. I am going to run it and have fun. I ran this 5k last year and it is a fun race. More importantly, there is a BEER GARDEN after the race with FREE beer. How can you not smile about that? DW and some friends will also be running it and it will be fun.

And ironic cuz she doesn't even HAVE a 'belly"to swish...Ms 'flatboard abs' there....

Now imagine the Pillsbury Doughboy running....that's me! 

SheCan

You've had that belly before, haven't you?  LOL

Scotty, I can tell you for sure from having met Jack, that he really does seem to have an amazing, lighthearted attitude.  He was in fact, oozing good vibes!  I agree with Scotty, Jack, just have fun with that race.

Three races at my tortoise race pace is not that bad, Cherie, lol, it's not like I'm really RACING them.  Congrats on your 3 miles today...coffee swishing belly?  Did you run too soon after ingesting?   I am so sorry about your loss of your friend and your cousin.  They will be with you in spirit on Sunday, I am sure.  Keep them in mind and heart, maybe even dedicate your event to them, to help you keep moving along.  And when you cross that finish line, I bet you will FEEL both of them right there with you. Good luck to you (((((Cherie)))).  You can do this!

Last night I was wearing his long compression socks with my shorts   Umm, can you post a photo of that?   

Thank you.  I'm sure they well be with me.  I haven't been able to let go quite yet, especially as Darla was so supportive of my running.  I'm trying to make a teeshirt to wear Sunday, in remembrance of her.  It's kind of looking ugly though, but I think she'd forgive me.

Umm, can you post a photo of that?     Oh heck NO!  LOL

Cherie

GinnyinPA

Z - congratulations on your noticeable speed increase.  That must be fun, to see such improvement after all your hard work.

Jack - definitely time for a day of rest.  As others said, your slow pace is our dream pace.  I'm glad the pf is staying away.

Scotty - gee, thanks for rubbing it in: beautiful weather, lots of running, lots of races.  Sweet.  Enjoy your anniversary, Vday, Gail's birthday and all the races..  Sounds like it will be almost as fun as your birthday weekend.

Cherie - I haven't had coffee swishing, but I've had some other foods make me pretty uncomfortable when I ran too soon.  Ice cream doesn't go all that well with a long run;-)   I'm so sorry about your two most recent losses. I think the taper doesn't necessarily make you feel things more strongly, but you do have more time to really experience what you are feeling.  That's not a bad thing.  It's so easy to look for distractions, but the feelings are still there.  Good luck sewing your memory tshirt.

AFM:  I was supposed to run today, but after spending two hours shoveling snow, I'm really low on energy right now.  OTOH, it might help ease some of the sore muscles.  We've had about 6 inches so far, but some of the drifts were up to 16".  It's still snowing.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Darn you, Scotty. Now I feel bad about getting a $10 bunch of roses at the supermarket and a 50 cent card from Dollar Tree.  But I am taking DW  to Maggiano's for dinner tomorrow.   Happy Anniversary  to you and Gail.

Taking an SRD to rest up for a LR tomorrow which will be inside again.  We can't risk going outside and slipping with a destination race in 2 weeks.  Looks like Monday before we get above freezing.  :-(

Guess I better get up earlier so I can start the thread so the west coasters don't have to.  Can't do it at work as my idiot boss has nothing better to do than monitor internet usage.

Have a great weekend and V-Day !!!